Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2021, 03:17 PM

Default Crowsnest River

We are headed to Blairmore area this August for a week and i was just wanting to ask a few questions about the crowsnest river. If someone who has some knowledge of this river is willing to answer a couple questions for me please PM me. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:10 PM

Default What Kind of questions, I'm a fly fisherman.

I'm not an expert by any means, I just know how to catch and release trout from that river and I have over 45 years experience. If your questions are of a technical nature, you'll have to find someone else.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:41 PM

Was down on the Crow a couple of hours ago. Water is super low right now and the fish could use a break from any additional pressure.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:57 PM

Default I'm there tomorrow.

I'm not fishing, just looking.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Was down on the Crow a couple of hours ago. Water is super low right now and the fish could use a break from any additional pressure.
I get ya / agree !
But when the main reason for fishing is for likes and attention on Instagram by “ celebrity fisher people “ the fish are in trouble! I feel for the fish / water down here. I bet the fisherman in central ab are glad it’s the south’s problem now. As soon as it’s ruined down here, it will be sw Sasks problem and so on...... but what do you do ? Quit fishing ? I’d like my son to enjoy the rivers for what they are. Beauty and isolation if possible. Sorry for the rant, getting harder and harder to enjoy the solitude / beauty / purpose of the south
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 PM

the biggest issue with the crow right now, is the rainbows are in the middle of their spawn, some have already spawned, and there are herds of 3-4 anglers spaced 200-300 meters apart criss crossing the river multiple times at shallow parts they think are easy to cross, meanwhile those shallow riffles are exactly where the trout are trying to deposit their eggs, or have already done so.

/ end rant
Old 05-04-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
the biggest issue with the crow right now, is the rainbows are in the middle of their spawn, some have already spawned, and there are herds of 3-4 anglers spaced 200-300 meters apart criss crossing the river multiple times at shallow parts they think are easy to cross, meanwhile those shallow riffles are exactly where the trout are trying to deposit their eggs, or have already done so.

/ end rant
Very true. Biggest threat to the drainages of the S.W. are not the cattle, mines, logging, ATV's etc. It's the people who never stop harassing the fish. Doesn't matter what the water level is or the temps of water or how many people are pounding the water with reckless abandon. If they drove this far they are going to fish and if they catch something..... they are going to take a picture...

We need to limit angler days on the S.W. drainages and charge for each day on the water. Hopefully Alberta follows B.C's lead and develops a similar user pay system.
We need to make some drastic changes to ensure there is a fishery around for future generations.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:

We need to limit angler days on the S.W. drainages and charge for each day on the water. Hopefully Alberta follows B.C's lead and develops a similar user pay system.
We need to make some drastic changes to ensure there is a fishery around for future generations.
Fishing streams and rivers should go on draw, just like hunting draws. Period.

Guys on here bitch and whine about fisheries in Alberta. But soon, all the whiners will be shoulder to shoulder in our streams and rivers. Last year was insane, this year will be worse...

Last edited by crazy_davey; 05-05-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:13 PM

Well from I am seeing for responses on here its not good on the Crowsnest. I know here around Calgary its bad too. Lots of guys are taking up the sport. Hopefully with us being down there during the middle of a week, things might be a little better but thats hoping. I am finding fisherman are like hunters. The get out of their truck and walk as little as possible. If you put some ground under your boots you can usually find a fishing spot that is away or has less people.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:20 PM

The Crow is good to go.
Lots of places to fish.
Like anywhere else...put some miles on your boots and enjoy the fishing and the countryside.
Local businesses will appreciate your tourism $
Old 05-07-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Very true. Biggest threat to the drainages of the S.W. are not the cattle, mines, logging, ATV's etc. It's the people who never stop harassing the fish. Doesn't matter what the water level is or the temps of water or how many people are pounding the water with reckless abandon. If they drove this far they are going to fish and if they catch something..... they are going to take a picture...

IMO all those you mentioned have a huge impact on a river system, especially spawning habitat. Going barbless may have benefit, especially with new fishers who are not on top of their game when it comes to hook removal, etc... Would create more LDR (less landed fish & handling issues)