Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2022, 03:57 PM

Default How’s the Bow fishin kids?

I got invited to do a float tomorrow.

I drove through calgabush last night and that river looked like she still’s got a lot of water runnin through her.

So I’m figuring it’s gonna be a streamer trip mostly. Too early for hoppers… prolly nothing for dryfly of any significance.

If anyone wishes to shoot me a pm with insight, I’d appreciate it cause I’m tyin up stuff for the trip right now pretty much.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-25-2022, 06:31 PM

Last time I was on the Bow with really high water flipped streamers right into the edges, even into little open pockets where the grass was flooded, and had pretty good success...Type 3 sink tip and 5 foot leader.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:43 AM

High water should not be a deterrent, it is starting to fish great. Caught a couple of rainbows on caddis last night.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-26-2022, 02:58 PM

Bess you are already fisin' but I floated friday past. Police to Mac and first float of the season for me. In at 6:45 and done at 4:30.
We hooked about a dozen and all rainbows other than one brown. The fish were very strong and healthy. Last bow I landed was a solid 20 but so thick and solid.
I was with my oldest son and his bud so I only had 1/2hour of f the oars as he is still on the training wheels!!!
Stopped to fish some nice runs and the river is in great shape.
Black stones, wire worms, were the ticket. The kids fished a black wolly bugger with a nymph set up and that also rewarded a fish. I did throw streamers during my stint and had 3 good follows and easily viewable standing up but no hook ups there. Still exciting.
Only saw one rising fish the whole day.
Bow is in nice shape.
Enjoy!
Old 07-27-2022, 09:17 AM

Whelp…. River was in good shape…. Mebe a little high

Only saw a couple tiddlers feeding on the surface….

I tied 1doz streamers as I figured I’d be second chair and I wanted to reply reg and nab a nice Bow brown… an I lost jus about all of them.

Our guide set up my partner with a foam hopper and a leech dropper bout 3 feet down…

That’s new to me…. Anyways…. My partner landed a few and lost 9 or 10 as he’s a newer fly fisher and need a lil practice playing big fish.

I. Landed…… one……….

I went through streamers fast as I mostly ran a two streamer system. The rocks were hungry.
Had many short strikes.
Couple of beast sized rainbows followed right up to the boat.. which I very much enjoy!!

Did manage to hook fight see and subsequently lose a beast of a rainbow that did take my Ugly Sammich hopper later in the float. Good long fight till he found rocks

Very satisfying.

We were guided out of Fish Tails fly shop on MacLeod Trail.

Ben is an excellent guide. Very hard working. Great conversation. Knows his river well.
I insisted he work on getting my partner on fish… he did just that.

I obviously need to work on presenting big streamers from float boats better……

Beauty float…. That West Jet owners ‘cabin’ is sure something else….

Talked with a few guys on the takeout….. and yea.. they were running deep droppers with San Juans

At some point I think that might be better calling it long distance nymphing.. but they got into fish. Me not so much.

Which is fine. The river was obviously telling me what to do… but I refused to listen….. and I really like it when a new challenge presents itself.

I’ll be back. I’m tying today so my boy and I can hit the rivers out here.

Post script

I learned that their willowfly hatchhappens around stampede which makes sense….. but it’s nocturnal….. which isn’t the case down here…. Very interesting…. And I really really gotta try that!

I’ll be back Mr. Bow.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:02 PM

Floating tomorrow again and will report back. Going early!
Old 07-28-2022, 09:17 PM

Some fish look up
Old 07-29-2022, 09:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Beauty brown!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-29-2022, 10:34 PM

Dammit!!

You caught MY brown!!!!!
Old 07-30-2022, 07:37 AM

I think this ugly little one was yours
Old 07-30-2022, 08:12 AM

Beauty!!
Old 07-30-2022, 01:44 PM

Fantastic browns right there. Well yesterday was slower..... Had a bud who never floated and only fished the liv and crow with me a few times so a rookie type. We didn't get on as early as I wanted but around 7:45. I rowed the whole trip as out third cancelled late.
Al hooked two and both broke off as he doesn't know the power of the bow river rockets!
I hooked 5 and only handed one! Lost a beast 4-5 pounder as he went arial twice to show himself and spit the hook. Oh well.
All fish just like last week were in super shape and liked clearing surface. Still a great day but HOTTTTTTTTT.
tight lines
Old 07-30-2022, 03:16 PM

Floated from Police to Mac a couple days ago and we caught 3, all on Copper John dropper. Was up to 30 degrees so it went pretty quiet, all the fish were before 10am. River still murky and high, lots of spots we usually stop off to fish were underwater. I fished streamers most of day and had nothing, but my buddy with a stone/CJ rig did well. Hopefully the water clears up soon and we're into hopper dropper season!
Old 08-07-2022, 05:55 PM

Floated all day yesterday, Police to Jensen’s.
Tough day fishing, managed 10 smaller fish (under 17”) on nymphs but very few rising fish even though there were Caddis on the water all day. Hopper season is right round the corner, they were everywhere along the bank.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:18 AM

Darn little fish