Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2022, 11:01 AM

Default Berland-Athabasca

I'm venturing into uncharted territory(for me) next week with a trip up to the Berland where it meets the Athabasca. Not looking for your holes but wondering about walk and wade possibilities on either river near the confluence.
Also curious about which road you take up there. I see either from Edson or from Hwy 43 south of Fox Creek.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 AM

I haven't fished where they come together but I have hunted the area in the past.
Definitely better to come in from the Fox Creek side. Take the 947 South off Hwy 43 East of Fox creek, it was paved a few years back(I believe down to the Athabasca river crossing?). From the Athabasca river crossing you can go West down the ANC road or cross the river heading South and go past the Kaybob gas plant.
Haven't been down there the last few years but that's how I remember the access, hope this helps...
Old 08-06-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I haven't fished where they come together but I have hunted the area in the past.
Definitely better to come in from the Fox Creek side. Take the 947 South off Hwy 43 East of Fox creek, it was paved a few years back(I believe down to the Athabasca river crossing?). From the Athabasca river crossing you can go West down the ANC road or cross the river heading South and go past the Kaybob gas plant.
Haven't been down there the last few years but that's how I remember the access, hope this helps...
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:15 AM

I've been going there 30+ yrs almost every sept long and 1 trip after for the whites. That was before the big mine spill and the closure. Now we do a day trip in late Sept or Oct for some whites.

Go over Hwy 43, take 947 south. Its paved to the Big Gas plant on the hill. Leaves you with 30 kms of either good or WTH gravel roads. Just stay on the main trunk of the road after you pass the plant. You will get to another big Y in the road on a slight downhill. Should be a sign that says Edson left, Atha B right. Go right. This takes you to the Athab bridge(best view from the bridge too) and you can drop into the river just after the bridge on the other side. If you come over Edson, its 60 kms of gravel. I have seen it smooth as silk(rare) or WTH lol. It's a well traveled oil field road with big trucks.

From the bridge, you can drive along the rocks all the way to the Berland entrance. Fishing is good from below the bridge and above it on the Atha B and at the mouth of the Berland.

If you walk up the Berland about a 1/8th km, you will come to a cliff like area. Great spot to cast a line. I have spent a lifetime fishing this spot but we always came in on the cutline from the gravel road as I had an atv. I don't think it has been "travelled" in a while. Did not look like a quad had gone down it last year when we drove by for a look.

If your adventurous, you can keep going on the road past the bridge. Take your second left turn. Major Y intersection and follow this road till the next T intersection. Go left and you will come to the Berland again. Fishing is good around the bridge at times.

One of my all time favorite places in the world is camping/fishing at the Atha B bridge and the Berland cliffs. Check the regs, fishing was always better with maggots lol.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I've been going there 30+ yrs almost every sept long and 1 trip after for the whites. That was before the big mine spill and the closure. Now we do a day trip in late Sept or Oct for some whites.

Go over Hwy 43, take 947 south. Its paved to the Big Gas plant on the hill. Leaves you with 30 kms of either good or WTH gravel roads. Just stay on the main trunk of the road after you pass the plant. You will get to another big Y in the road on a slight downhill. Should be a sign that says Edson left, Atha B right. Go right. This takes you to the Athab bridge(best view from the bridge too) and you can drop into the river just after the bridge on the other side. If you come over Edson, its 60 kms of gravel. I have seen it smooth as silk(rare) or WTH lol. It's a well traveled oil field road with big trucks.

From the bridge, you can drive along the rocks all the way to the Berland entrance. Fishing is good from below the bridge and above it on the Atha B and at the mouth of the Berland.

If you walk up the Berland about a 1/8th km, you will come to a cliff like area. Great spot to cast a line. I have spent a lifetime fishing this spot but we always came in on the cutline from the gravel road as I had an atv. I don't think it has been "travelled" in a while. Did not look like a quad had gone down it last year when we drove by for a look.

If your adventurous, you can keep going on the road past the bridge. Take your second left turn. Major Y intersection and follow this road till the next T intersection. Go left and you will come to the Berland again. Fishing is good around the bridge at times.

One of my all time favorite places in the world is camping/fishing at the Atha B bridge and the Berland cliffs. Check the regs, fishing was always better with maggots lol.

Good luck.
2x
Old 08-06-2022, 04:54 PM

Sounds great...we'll be fly fishing for trout, grayling and bulls.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:37 PM

I do find more Rainbows in the Berland in August . Then they move out in Sept .
Old 08-06-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I do find more Rainbows in the Berland in August . Then they move out in Sept .
Nice!