Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM

For sure speed isn't everything....however, getting better speed with a new bow, while getting a nice draw cycle and forgiving brace height, with less (or no) vibration, less noise, and overall better comfort? Priceless. It took me 5 yrs to consider trading in the VTEC, but I'm really liking my decision to do so!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM

in my opinion its nothing more than personal preference, There are advantages and disadvantages to speed. you need to weigh out the pros and cons and determine for yourself what fits you best, and your style of hunting. There is no need to start a urinating contest over what is best.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Default I own a Maxxis 35

I shoot the maxxis 35 at 66 lbs, for a 30 inch draw. Arrows are radial Xweave with 100 grain points. Arrow weight is 397 grains with just over 13% FOC. With this setup I am at 297 feet per second of speed and 71 footpounds of kinetic energy at impact.

Case in point. I harvested a mature doe last fall at 4 yards from my tree. Basically straight down over a distance of 25 feet. My arrow punched clean through the top of the shoulder blade, cleaved the trachea, punched a hole through the heart and finally exited below the off side arm pit. She went 12 yards and canned. The interesting thing about this shot was this, my arrow passed clean through with so much force that is broke a stick on the ground into two pieces and one of those pieces actually flew further than the deer ran. My arrow was buried in the dirt within 6 inches of the fletching and I shoot a long arrow at 29 inches.

Anyway I am not over 300 feet per second, but I have more than enough energy to ventilate anything within range. I shoot 100 grain rocket steelhead XL broadheads.

Cheers and happy hunting
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 PM

I picked up a new bow this spring and have yet to chrony it. I am shooting at 70 pounds 28.5 inch draw with a 385gr arrow out of a HCA Speed Pro. I recently shot a 5 arrow 5 inch group @ 60 yards so I figure its all good to go . As long as they go where I want them....I am not too concerned about the speed of todays bows.

LC
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I picked up a new bow this spring and have yet to chrony it. I am shooting at 70 pounds 28.5 inch draw with a 385gr arrow out of a HCA Speed Pro. I recently shot a 5 arrow 5 inch group @ 60 yards so I figure its all good to go . As long as they go where I want them....I am not too concerned about the speed of todays bows.

LC
Did you buy that bow used? A buddy of mine just sold his hca this spring, his was about 10 years old though! His was also set up at 30" draw! Was quick bow for being so old! He just bought the monster mr5 it's insane fast! But really heavy! 4.5 pounds bare bow! I'm happy with my new bow! It's getting 3 arrows inside 5 inches at 50 yards! Good enough for me!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Did you buy that bow used? A buddy of mine just sold his hca this spring, his was about 10 years old though! His was also set up at 30" draw! Was quick bow for being so old! He just bought the monster mr5 it's insane fast! But really heavy! 4.5 pounds bare bow! I'm happy with my new bow! It's getting 3 arrows inside 5 inches at 50 yards! Good enough for me!
I bought it used but it was only about a year or so old. The guy used to run an archery shop up north. This bow specs under 3.5 lbs bare bow, one of the lightest on the market. I have now owned in total 3 HCA bows and have always been happy with them. My HCA Supreme has killed a few moose and deer, and my Power Force X1 killed deer and elk. It is one of the only bows on the market that is has warranty to shoot an arrow below 5gr/lb....can actually go to around 3.5gr/lb with it....I know some guys who tried to break the bow shooting a bare shafted arrow (a HCA speedpro arrow @ 5.5gr/inch) at under 230gr, speed topped out around 490+ fps....they couldn't break it....

LC
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 PM

I am the one who purchased the Mathews Monster MR5. I would like to make a note though, I went in with with no intension on purchasing that bow. I sold my 12 year old High Country 4 Runner to upgrade and went to a few different bow shops and even tried different brands. I tried Hoyt, Mathews, PSE and Bow tech. I spent a month testing and reading on all the bows and have a stack of mags I purchased since January. I am a bigger guy 6'-3" 240lb and my draw is lenght is 30 1/2". I was really looking at the Z7 Tactical but it just felt to small in the end. I ended up shooting the Monster as one of the last bows and shot it very well. I have no problem with the draw cycle either drawing back or letting down. I special ordered mine with 30" draw, 80lb limbs,black riser with camo limbs. I had an Antelope engraved on the handle and custom strings and cables. It uses the 20 yard pin to hit playing cards from 10-30 yards and I have set pins out to 70 yards now. The bow is very quiet and very fast. I have my poundage set at 70lb's and shoot Carbon Express Maxima 3-D Select with Blazers and 100gr Grizz Trick Magnums. My arrows weigh in at 396Gr and I get 320fps. I love the bow and shoot it very well for a so called speed bow. I can't wait for fall to come as I have been drawn for Bull moose and Antrlered Mule Deer. I took a 50" Bull Moose with my old bow and would like to break in my new one with style. I hope every body has a great season ans stays safe.

http://[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Kodiak338/?action=view&current=DSCF3171.jpg][/URL][/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by kodiak338; 07-26-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM

I finally got my CRX sighted in and ran a few arrows through the chronograph as well. 28.5 DL, 70 lbs, 375 gr. Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, 294-296 fps. First pin zeroes at 20yrd, 1" low at 30, so with the Spot Hogg 5 pin Real Deal, that gave me pins out to 70 yrds. Very pleased with how it shoots, and figure I've got plenty of speed. Shooting the same arrows that I was getting 278 fps with the VTEC, I was getting 300 out of the CRX, and figure that is a nice gain, besides nicer shootability, and quieter. I'm shooting a heavier arrow with 13%? FOC and like the results.

TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 07-26-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Why don't you support the Canadian apa? Their bows are lightning fast awesome to shoot and are a Swiss Army knife for all those back country guys on here. I love my m7 with my hunting setup I'm at 310fps
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settle&release View Post
Why don't you support the Canadian apa? Their bows are lightning fast awesome to shoot and are a Swiss Army knife for all those back country guys on here. I love my m7 with my hunting setup I'm at 310fps
He could be shooting an apa by now since this was like 3years ago .but I do love my m7 also
Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 AM

Default I guess I am a bit of a speed freak.

I'm shooting Hoyt's faktor turbo this year in an 80 pound 30" setup, using CX maxima hunters weighing 438gr I'm getting 330fps average which puts me at 106 pounds of energy.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 AM

Older post...But agree with the APA...

Regarding bow speeds...
We have a chrony but keep it hid far from the shooters..

Reason is every shooter is expecting the UN-realistic speeds rated by bow manufacturers...machine shot... nothing on string cept for tied on nock point... some even with no vanes on arrows...bow maxed

NOW...really how fast is your bow…here are some factors...

Take rated IBO…
IBO speeds are based on a bow with a 30" draw set at 70lbs shooting a 350gr arrow.
-For every inch of draw length you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 5# draw weight you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight your arrow is over IBO ( 5 grains per pound) you will lose 1 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight you add to your string you will lose 1 FPS

So you can see why a bow rated 300 plus with a shooter at 28" draw @65 lb peep, loop string silencers, and a reasonable weight arrow on the "heavy" side is chrony-in at mid 250+ FPS

I hated to see the shooters ...all pumped up..expecting lighting speed in the Plus 300's...as rated.... but with bow set up as above...

Resuts were bumed out shooters...some not happy with more anymore or it effected their shooting and confidence...some doing silly things like shooting dangerously light arrows or shooting over poundage for them..all just to gain a couple inchs of speed...

The Chrony stays locked up and hid and are for those that truely know what the approx results truely are...

My advise of the day is ...If your happy with the speed of your bow without putting it thru a chrony...dont worry about the speed..your happy with it ...its fast enough...instead concentrate on putting that arrow in the X at all distances you will be shooting while hunting...

JMHO
Neil