Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Default North Central Alberta Fly Fishing League

With interest growing across North America in the area of competitive Fly Fishing here is your opportunity to get involved.

In the spring, summer, and fall of 2013 we will be holding monthly (or Bi-monthly based on interest) friendly competitions to get you involved and learning about competitive Fly Fishing. A variety of easily accesible lakes, ponds, and possibly rivers will be included for these friendly matches. We will be tracking your performance to see who are the top anglers in the area for the year. Each competition will be precluded by a short information session to get you up to speed on rules and tactics(Items like - Barbless hooks, no indicators, and the use of multiple flies).

If this sound like an event of interest (participation, volunteering, or sponsorship involvement) please send me a private message. Keep checking here for updates on event dates.

Look forward to seeing you!

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM

Smile

Hey just say the word and I will be there to help in any way I can.

Rob
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 AM

Sigh... The last fishing "sport" finally gives in, and becomes a contest too. Bound to happen, I guess.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM

I really would appreciate as you have said to let us know (on here) where these will take place with times and dates. That way those of us not interested (me) can avoid those places for that day. It could get very crowded.
I personally like my alone time although i have know problem with those that are interested in competition and a get together. Sorry if i come across as Cranky. Just dont like elbow to elbow stuff.
All the best to your endeavors sounds like fun and alot of work.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Sigh... The last fishing "sport" finally gives in, and becomes a contest too. Bound to happen, I guess.
x2. Quantity over Quality. And yeah, good to post competitions so you can avoid the crowds, yellow and orange sponsor logo clothing, hooting & hollering, and high fives. Can you tell I hate derbys? LOL

Seriously, sorry, I don't meant to poke too much fun at OP's league as it may not look anything like we half-jokingly envision. Might be just a friendly little quiet competion between small groups of guys. Don't want to prejudge too harshly or without any knowledge... oh wait, I already did that. LOL.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 AM

I have competed in several fly fishing competitions. No, your not exactally getting the picture. There isn't a lot of hooting and hollaring. This is not a "Dime Store" fishermen show your talking about. They are well organized and very determined fishermen. Their approach is more like golfers putting on a green.

My bet is that most wouldn't even know that the competition is going on while it's taking place.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I have competed in several fly fishing competitions. No, your not exactally getting the picture. There isn't a lot of hooting and hollaring. This is not a "Dime Store" fishermen show your talking about. They are well organized and very determined fishermen. Their approach is more like golfers putting on a green.

My bet is that most wouldn't even know that the competition is going on while it's taking place.
Soooo... no Orvis "Superfine Girls" or stage with loudspeakers? LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM

No, but I like where your going with this.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM

Competition Fly fishing has been around for a long time(Europe) it just took some time to take root here. That is why Canada has not had a lot of success at international competition. The purpose of these events is to provide a friendly learning environment for people interested in improving their Fly fishing skills. League nights will probably consist of 6-20 people hitting the lake for 2 or 3 hours at a time. How we run this will depend on the participation and interest. Low key and low impact is what we aim for.

Bikini Babes, not a bad idea as long as some of you men would step up for some speedo poses for our lady friends who want to get involved here as well. On second thought let's hold off.

Take care

Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Bikini Babes, not a bad idea as long as some of you men would step up for some speedo poses for our lady friends who want to get involved here as well.
Have you SEEN most of the guys here who fly fish? Lots of extra-large waders out there. No male April Vokey's here.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 PM

These sorts of competitions are a million miles away form the competitive bass and walleye tournaments. Fly fishing tournaments dont have parades into a weigh-in, no Nascar styled clothing, and no huge purse to the winner. We pay a bit of our own money to fish for our own enjoyment, and you don't really win anything more than maybe a little prize. It's a typically a few guys just out for some friendly fishing, with a twist. Not like any naysayers of competitive fishing have ever bet a loonie or beer for the first fish, or a dinner bet for the biggest or something.

My brother and our two best friends have a "team red vs team blue" competition, which varies from year to year, but we just go and laugh and fish and tease a bit more than usual. It's all in fun, and there is no 50-grand to the winenr, which negates sour grapes or cheating to a non-issue.

I'b be up for this type of event, in moderation. I wouldn't want it all to be like this, though. In fact, I thought it was high time we have some friendly -and I mean friendly- fly fishing events in AB. I mean, what better way to support a fishery like Muir Lake (and its associated costs like aerators, parking lot maintenence, etc) than to have a derby, with modest entrance fees (like 5 or 10 bucks for the fundraiser) and a few prizes donated by local outdoor stores like Fishin' Hole, WSS, or Cabelas or something. It seems better to showcase the fishery you want supported, than to just ask for donations and selling raffle tickets in a room.

This would get fishermen on the water you're supporting, and get them to see where the money is going.

On a different vein, a lot of our best and most important gear is based upon that designed and utilized by tournament fishers from Europe. Examples: density compensated sinking lines, bead heads for flies, hot spot fly patterns, Czech/polish nymphs and those short line tactics, etc...

In short, I don't think a modest league is anything to get upset about. If you don't want to do it, don't join. But 5 or 6 guys on a lake sure isn't going to upset the balance of a lake near Edmonton. I don't know how many times I fish with fewer than 6 others on the lake for at least some of the day (if you fish near Edm), but it isn't many. I know I am interested in this league just to maybe meet some more local fly fishers who want to learn new techniques, make some new friends, and see some new lakes. Seems like a perfect opportunity for that, if you ask me.

Just my $0.02

All the best.

Nick
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM

Thanks for those wise words Nick!

We can now be found on Facebook.

If your interested search: North Central Alberta Fly-fishing League, and request an invite.

Looking forward to the possibilities!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Next time your logged in to Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/478722868855414/

Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM

Make it an open page and I'll check it out
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Done

Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM

Certainly not interested. My participation in this pastime has nothing to do with competition of any kind. Please keep in mind the sensitivity of locations you may choose and how you impact others who are looking for solitude. Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM

Appreciate the input, take care.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post

Bikini Babes, not a bad idea as long as some of you men would step up for some speedo poses for our lady friends who want to get involved here as well. On second thought let's hold off.

Take care
c'mon Jason. can't you recall some favors from the ol' Top Hat?
LOL!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM

Ahhhh college days, memories.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM

Opening night

Tuesday May 28

Vegreville trout fishery

5:30 PM Weather permitting (No lightning)

Bring your valid angling license, net, and fly rods.

Shore Fishing mini comp.

No indicators during competition.

Capped at 16 entrants. 6 spots left as of right now.

Plan to be there till 10 PM

See you there.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 AM

Next Event Sunday, June 9, 2013

East Pit Lake (North of Wabamun)

7:00 Am Arrival

8:00 Am Start

Done by Noon

See you there.

(Shore event)

Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Great Day!

Results from NCAFL event #2 East Pit Lake June 9, 2013.

Jason D. 8 fish 178 cm
1. Rick L. 8 fish 176 cm
2. Dean K. 6 fish 137 cm
3. Justin H. 1 fish 22 cm

Biggest fish of the day- Dean K. 37 cm.

Congrats on your win today Rick!

Today's Format : 3 Hours broken into four 45 minute sessions.

Fips-Mouche Rules Applied.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Default Event #3 Sunday July 7

Next Event Sunday, July 7/13

Check Facebook (North Central Alberta Flyfishing League) page, for Details.

See you there.

Message me if interested, event capped at 16 competitors.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM

6-7 confirmed for Sunday, we have room for a few more.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Last call for event #3

Fort Sask Lions Trout Pond

Sunday, July 7

8:00 AM Start

Message me to register there is no fee for this mini comp.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:05 PM

Congrats to our top 3 finishers for today's event!

1. Joshua G.
2. Dean K.
3. Lisa L.

Will post the date for the event #4 soon.