Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Default 2013 Trojan Pond Loch Style Fly Fishing Championships in Logan Lake

Hello again,

June 20-22 will be the dates of this years North American Loch Style Fly-Fishing Championship. Location Logan Lake B.C.

Looking for one or two Albertans with Lake experience who would like to experience the competitive side of the sport. Our team has attended the past two years and we have just been invited for this, the third year of the event.

Equipment needed - A 10 foot #6 or #7 rod with a variety of sinking lines 3,5,7 or 2,4,6. A wide mouth landing net not exceeding 48" in length. A selection of flies and the ability to tie.

Wanted - Passionate anglers with the ability and willingness to learn.

Can't wait to meet you....

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Had a full team and now lost one person, this seems to be annual occurrence.

Anybody in or traveling through the Kamloops, B.C. area who is interested in competing in this tournament please send me a message. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:14 AM

I also had to back out as my son has lost his mind and is getting married on VI at the same time.

Have never fished in one of these tournaments but apparently competitors are real serious. One of the sessions is on Tunkwa Lake which was one of the venues for the '93 Worlds and having managed the resort on Tunkwa for nine years I have never received so many e-mails as I have in the last two weeks.

Tunkwa is one of those lakes that will make you either say "wow" or "damn" as it can be very frustrating and also very rewarding. I have seen 11 lb. wild bows in the fishtrap but the average size is 1.5-3# but since they switched over to triploids 6 years ago the lake is producing some very nice fish.

Above all others, Tunkwa is a chironomid lake with multiple hatches occurring almost every day of the open water season. While at the tourney you may encounter chironomids upwards of 1" or as small as size 20.

The maximum depth you will find is around 18' and is a smorgasboard of invertebrates. The scud population is astounding and accounts for the bright orange flesh colour of these fish. The lake has blood leeches that look pure black on one side and deep maroon on the underside. The are also common leeches that are olive mottled with brown spots.

The third week of June you may also run into a callibaetis hatch as well as a few damsels emerging. There should be some rock caddis around the shallows. I would think that most of the dragons will be in the nymph stage still as they traditionally don't emerge until July.

If there is some strong winds the day before the session you can expect to find bloodworms throughout the water column and the trout will definitely be targetting them.

Tunkwa is a great fishery that everyone should experience at least once and this tournament format would be a great opportunity to see why it is so popular in Europe.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Great info JohnK! Thank you for taking the time to post.

We'll look to add you to the list of potential teammates for next year.

We have miraculously found a replacement!

Take care.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Great info JohnK! Thank you for taking the time to post.

We'll look to add you to the list of potential teammates for next year.

We have miraculously found a replacement!

Take care.
Yes, definitely keep me in mind. Best of luck at the tourney.