Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 AM

Question Where to go?New to guns

This is probably a silly question, but my friend and I are just getting our PALs next week and we're wondering where to go shooting.

We don't have a ton of money to invest so we're starting off with .22 rifles and while a shooting range is fun, we are interested in hiking out to some remote area and doing our own target shooting. Neither of us are really keen to hunt, just targets, really and we are responsible and clean up after ourselves. We'd just like to find a quiet spot to lay out cans or something and as mentioned, are partly doing it just to hike, with the added pleasure of shooting.

I've researched where not to shoot (national/provincial parks, nature preserves, etc.) but can't figure out where we CAN shoot. We're in calgary so reasonably nearby is ideal.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 AM

Talk to some local farmers/ranchers and go shooting gophers. No cans to clean up, and the farmer will be happy. Down the road if, your careful and considerate, and you want to move up to big game, you will have a friend out there who might, let you on his land.

- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM

There are suitable places to plink in the Porcupine Hills SW of Claresholm. Once you're on the Foresty Boundry Reserve (crown land), you can shoot. You have to be careful of other users though like quaders, and be aware of your backstop.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Clubs

Join your local Fish and Game Club. Who knows, you could make some life long friends and gather a lot of learning. Contact AHEIA as well. Get out there and volunteer with some organization that does things that you enjoy.

Tags
hiking, plinking, targets, where?