Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 03:22 PM

Default Arrow info

Hey guys and gals. I’ve been shooting carbon Express maximas 350’s for years. Thinking of switching it up for the upcoming bow season so I thought I’d do some research now. What’s everybody shooting or recommend.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 PM

I'm shooting Easton FMJ's and am very happy with them. They are durable and consistent. I fletch them with blazers with a slight offset and group FP's and broadheads well.

Another popular option you seem to see often are VAP's.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:00 AM

You've provided very little detail to be able to effectively recommend an arrow.. What is the purpose of your shooting. Target? Hunting? Which animals? What is your draw weight/length? Goal arrow weight and foc? Preferred point weight?

Black Eagle Deep Impact for me.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 08:29 AM

I shoot Victory VAPs. Very happy with them.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks82 View Post
I'm shooting Easton FMJ's and am very happy with them. They are durable and consistent. I fletch them with blazers with a slight offset and group FP's and broadheads well.

Another popular option you seem to see often are VAP's.
I've heard good things about the FMJ's but I just couldn't bring myself back to the says of worrying about bent arrows and trying to straighten them

I shoot Gold Tip Hunter XT
Not the best arrow out there by any means but I'm sure happy with how they performed for me this past season.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 AM

I just ordered some black eagle renegades with their F.O.C.O.S. outsert system. I haven't shot them yet but I am looking forward to try them out
Old 01-23-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcrobb12 View Post
I just ordered some black eagle renegades with their F.O.C.O.S. outsert system. I haven't shot them yet but I am looking forward to try them out
I have every confidence you will shoot them a helluva lot more true than Gboe8!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:36 AM

I use the Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum and had great success with that arrow, but I’m also interested in the Maxima red SD. If your In Calgary I would recommend stoping by Jim Bows archery and they can get you set up with what arrow will work for your draw length, poundage and what your looking for in an arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
You've provided very little detail to be able to effectively recommend an arrow.. What is the purpose of your shooting. Target? Hunting? Which animals? What is your draw weight/length? Goal arrow weight and foc? Preferred point weight
purpose for hunting all big game and small game. My arrow length is 28 1/4 and bow is set at 65lbs. I’d like to keep it close to the 5gr/pound mark with a total weight of 350 grains. I’m definitely not a beginner to archery just been out of it for a few years and haven’t kept up on the new.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
purpose for hunting all big game and small game. My arrow length is 28 1/4 and bow is set at 65lbs. I’d like to keep it close to the 5gr/pound mark with a total weight of 350 grains. I’m definitely not a beginner to archery just been out of it for a few years and haven’t kept up on the new.
You should chrony your bow and run a few calculators, check the momentum and KE. Are you using a mechanical or fixed head? I try to keep my hunting arrows around 400+ Grains to keep the momentum numbers up and helping with penetration. Too light of an arrow can deflect easier and not penetrate as well. For 3D competition 5gr/lbs is a good goal to keep the speed up especially for unmarked/unknown 3D.

LC
Old 04-10-2020, 08:45 AM

Get a heavy arrow for hunting, I like black eagles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
Not sure if you bought your new arrows yet, but is there a particular reason you want to shoot 5 grains per pound? It will do the job if put in the right spot, but you are not going to get a ton of penetration on anything less than perfect. By adding another 100 grains you are still going to have decent speed, your bow will be quieter, and you have a fighting chance on a marginal hit. As others have said, if you insist on going that light you should 100% use a fixed blade head....you simply don't have much momentum to absorb the loss of energy that arrow will experience when opening a 2 inch expandable. You mentioned you have not shot for a few years, but I think you will find mindsets have changed a bit from being all about speed to recognizing a need to balance speed with momentum. Some of the best shooters I know like lighter setups.....(low 400s) because they like to stretch it and they like to eliminate variables like estimating distance. For those of us who don't fire hundreds of arrows per week, I think we are far better off adding more weight because the biggest variable in the equation is us. In the event you hit bone, you want momentum. It is a balance for sure, but I would do some research before you commit to a 350 grain arrow.