Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 05:52 PM

Default Picking up items at US border

In the past I have had items shipped to Border Storage at Sweetgrass and drove down to pick them up, no problems.
My question is has anyone picked up something this way that was ordered and payed for by someone else? Any issues?

thanks
Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Make sure you have a permission letter to pick up, from the person who purchased the product. And his or her phone number, they may want to call them. I tried this once, and had to call him to fax a note to CBS while i waited .
Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM
Banned

When I have packages shipped to Sweetgrass, I get Lethbridge Trucking Terminals to broker and ship to my door.
I find it reasonable priced.

I used UPS once, took an extra 10 days....
Old 01-21-2020, 06:09 PM

what i was told at the border is that if the goods receipt was in someone elses name,i was no longer bringing it in for personal use, but was in fact an importer.This was just a question i asked coming back from the states last year, and i really didnt get into the details of what that would mean.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:01 PM

Easiest way is to take that person with you. If not, a letter authorizing you to bring those items in for them is pretty good. If not, Fedex is preferable to UPS. UPS can't seem to get their poop into a group about anything these days.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 AM

My father in law picks up my stuff in Sweetgrass all the time. I just make sure he has an invoice/receipt and there's never been an issue.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 AM

what category are the items in
household or gun stuff?

also value of the items. under 300 or over 1000 dollars

that makes a difference

if it is not in your name you are importing it and may need USA export certificates

be careful depending on what it is

call the border first
Old 01-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Many times you can do stuff at the border that is not technically allowed because the officer either doesn't know better or doesn't care. If you get a new officer or a really zealous one then you better know what the rules are and abide by them. My advice, check out the published rules, if you don't fully comply expect to have an issue at least some of the time. To your specific question, there are lots of rules and details attached to bringing someone else's stuff across the border, even something as simple as used household goods.

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Old 01-22-2020, 12:20 PM

Thanks
Its big dollars, $14000 cdn (engine)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:32 PM

Makes a difference if the goods are for personal use or business/commercial use. That makes a difference in the answer on whats required by the importer at the time at the border.

Also important can be the relationship the person has (are you doing it as a favour or being paid) for personal/commercial goods.

If the engine for a vehicle that's used for a business (farm, private company, etc) then there are several variables that come into play.

Best bet is to contact CBSA or call the 1-800 number, and know all the details before calling to get a concise answer.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Many times you can do stuff at the border that is not technically allowed because the officer either doesn't know better or doesn't care. If you get a new officer or a really zealous one then you better know what the rules are and abide by them. My advice, check out the published rules, if you don't fully comply expect to have an issue at least some of the time. To your specific question, there are lots of rules and details attached to bringing someone else's stuff across the border, even something as simple as used household goods.

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
That's a really good point, I have moved back and forth across the border a few times over my career. Best be prepared. There are times I've moved household items, firearms and personal goods with not even a blink (the mover wasn't even asked once to break his seal) and told me they basically glanced at our manifest, declarations, and lists (which described the contents) and waved him through. On another occasion it went into bond and was inspected and I had all sorts of hurtles, like trying to prove/find values/receipts where we bought it, how long ago, etc...

Really dependent on the person at the door - but, for sure, prepare for the worst and you will be fine.

The same is true going into the US. I recently moved my son down and it was "a very quick and easy few questions" and off we went with a truckload of computers, furniture, household goods, etc... (no firearms though). (Both my kids are dual citizens BTW)
Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Thanks
Its big dollars, $14000 cdn (engine)
$700 GST on $14,000. Be prepared for that.

I use Montana Shipping in Eureka MT. Same setup as Sweetgrass. I will not pick up anything for anyone unless said person is a very very good friend. You are accountable for what you are bringing across the border.