Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM

Until I got direct buy from Arc'teryx, MEC was the go to.

MEC is great for a bunch of kit.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
The fact that there is even a meeting concerning this is ridiculous.
If it was YOUR business, and it was YOUR customers making the complaints/petitions, wouldn't it be in your best interest to at least listen to what your customers are saying? I know that if I owned my own business I would certainly listen to feedback from anyone who is handing over their hard earned money, I could make a good business decision once I've heard/listened and reviewed it.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
If it was YOUR business, and it was YOUR customers making the complaints/petitions, wouldn't it be in your best interest to at least listen to what your customers are saying? I know that if I owned my own business I would certainly listen to feedback from anyone who is handing over their hard earned money, I could make a good business decision once I've heard/listened and reviewed it.
MEC knows their customer base quite well, and they know how much of the brands in question they sell. They know ahead of time the consequences of further alienating an already wavering customer base.

I don't think for one second they seriously considered halting the sale of "brands that are owned by a company that owns a company that makes firearms similar to the one used recently in a mass shooting" .
Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Next time

If you ever find yourself in MEC again, be sure to find that granola looking staff guy with dreads and ask him, “Where do I find the trapping supplies?”
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM

Personally I'm not sure about MEC. I guess we'll see what they do in this case. I will avoid any company known to be anti-hunting or that takes a particular stance against it.

I don't mind what others do with their own company and customer base, but I do vote with my wallet and express that whenever I get a chance, to let companies know there are those who will patronize them if they stay neutral or pro-hunting. I don't mind if they're not into it, just don't fight me and my interests. That's more than reasonable.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
http://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-pm...2-46297356c50d

I believe we 100% have to watch where we spend our $$$

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts.......hhhmmmm......oh, here we go, WHO CARES ABOUT A BUNCH OF HOYTY TOYTY TREE HUGGING HALF WITS, REALLY. Pretty sure all the bongo drum, didgeridoo playing, unemployed, welfare, bums ain’t gonna get them through the tough times ahead, well unless, they start accepting home grown!
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 AM

I use MEC for my technical needs. The way I see it, they support me and my needs. When I go to Bass pro and Cabellas I rarely buy anything because of the poor price/quality point. I still wear the 10 year old camo pant and jacket I bought for $40 from Tiger Direct, but under it I’m layered up for the environment with clothes I can wear in any sport. My local ski shop owner are tops in the industry, but aren’t fond of hunting. But that’s ok with me, because I go there for quality ski equipment, not as a hunter.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post
If you ever find yourself in MEC again, be sure to find that granola looking staff guy with dreads and ask him, “Where do I find the trapping supplies?”
Great suggestion! I think I will do exactly that!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:47 AM

I posted this in another thread but I think it could apply here as well. Kind of ironic that we can use the their money to support the very things they are trying to prevent.

Quote:
I do buy the occasional thing from them because they are the only supplier. I do not support their views but I do use the share payouts I receive for being a member to buy ammunition. I'm fairly sure they have paid me more in the last few years than I have spent. The way I see it is, on average the share pay out is $25 a year which equates to roughly 1 box of blue box federal for my .308 or 25 steel shotgun shells,which equates to 20 dead yotes or 25 geese that they are working so hard to protect.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
If I just walked across the Sahara, I wouldn't stop in there for a bottle of water.
I'll damn well bet you would
Old 02-27-2018, 02:11 PM

Another fake post. OP creates a headline to get a reaction.

Likely did not even read the article.

How lame.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Banned

Kiss my azz.
Such crap. And yes I did read it. Have you?
Stupid troll.. Get back under your bridge.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Banned

And the reply...https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW_QdA6WAAEGx4w.jpg
Old 02-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like a very democratic response, similar to what one would expect from the NRA. Go figure...
Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 PM

I do not shop there for a couple reasons, to expensive for me and their stance on hunting. They are entitle to make the best business decision that reflects what they stand for and I as well make the best decision where I shop based on my values.
No biggy.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:23 PM

^ x2 - what Sitting Bull said. I've had that position since they were clear on where they stood on the grizzly bear hunt.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 PM

There it is folks, in black and white!

Treehugger hippies unite! You now have the respect of the Rednecks!

-Confucius
Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 AM

Default MEC & Bottled Water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I'll damn well bet you would

wait while he finds out they don't sell it :-(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

Thank you very much. Stay tuned though 'cause there will be another "lets boycott MEC" thread coming your way soon.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

Again...someone who feels strongly should immediately start a petition to represent the other side of the equation.

Otherwise one is just standing around whining and not actually doing anything about it.

More people need to stand up for common sense to offset a very small yet vocal minority on this matter.

MEC does not affect gun laws and use in Alberta or Canada. What happens in the US is their business...not ours as consumers. MEC makes a very small and essentially obscure sales figure I am sure.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Banned

Buggers caved....
https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/open-l...avid-labistour

Times they are a changing I am afraid. It seems plastic and "Scary" is enough to make every one run.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Buggers caved....
https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/open-l...avid-labistour

Times they are a changing I am afraid. It seems plastic and "Scary" is enough to make every one run.
Start a petition to reverse the decision. They did not cave. The other side never stepped up but rather sat back passive and watched it happen. It is the fault of those that didn't want this to happen. IMHO
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 AM

MEC caters to the NDP voter type, not us....... They can keep their over priced garbage.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:08 AM

From the Globe and Mail today:

On Twitter on Tuesday, as MEC members protested against the connection with guns, the co-op addressed several questions, including whether it is anti-hunting. MEC said no and that many MEC members hunt and engage in sport shooting responsibly. In Mr. Labistour's statement on Thursday morning, he added a personal note. He grew up in South Africa in a farming community. At 19, he was in the army as a lieutenant in charge of a unit during part of the long Angolan war.

"Many of us come from parts of the world where we have witnessed the use and impact of guns firsthand," said Mr. Labistour. "I include myself in that community. I have proudly served in the military and grew up in a rural area where hunting was commonplace. I can readily identify with our members who are on all sides of this debate."
Old 03-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

From my standpoint of parenting age adult, MEC has no equivalent in area of kids outdoor clothes and gear. PERIOD. Not a one even close. Plus superb return policies. Plus great quality with reasonable prices on their branded gear, like Camper 4 tent for example.

I'm sorry Cabelas, Bass Pro et al: YOU SUCK in ALL these important to me areas. Your own brands are junk in 75% cases, especially Bass Pro's 'canoes' and drybags, 100% here. Your jeans and casual apparel is crap, too. Face it.

I also vote in MECs election and choose less 'lunaticious' persons. And pull the tricks like suggested joke about trapping equipment quite regularly, too. Like "Kayaks are nice, but it's hard to haul entire moose in them".
Never seen a shade of negativity from the staff of all possible types.

Last edited by V_1; 03-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM

I have decided to try not to buy anything from companies that get involved with politics or SJW causes.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Start a petition to reverse the decision. They did not cave. The other side never stepped up but rather sat back passive and watched it happen. It is the fault of those that didn't want this to happen. IMHO
Exactly.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_1 View Post
From my standpoint of parenting age adult, MEC has no equivalent in area of kids outdoor clothes and gear. PERIOD. Not a one even close. Plus superb return policies. Plus great quality with reasonable prices on their branded gear, like Camper 4 tent for example.

I'm sorry Cabelas, Bass Pro et al: YOU SUCK in ALL these important to me areas. Your own brands are junk in 75% cases, especially Bass Pro's 'canoes' and drybags, 100% here. Your jeans ans casual apparel is crap, too. Face it.

I also vote in MECs election and choose less 'lunaticious' persons. And pull the tricks like suggested joke about trapping equipment quite regularly, too. Like "Kayaks are nice, but it's hard to haul entire moose in them".
Never seen a shade of negativity from the staff of all possible types.
This is my thought as well. Overpriced? No idea where anyone's getting that from, Comparatively, MEC is cheaper/same price as alot of online discount places comparing identical items. Hell, I usually can't find kids stuff for anywhere near what MEC does. And they typically listen to their customers, as in, if a product is ****, they stop carrying it.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
MEC caters to the NDP voter type, not us....... They can keep their over priced garbage.
A lot of oil patch types shop there. A lot. Not NDP types. They sell what outdoor enthusiasts like if you camp, hike, bike etc.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I have decided to try not to buy anything from companies that get involved with politics or SJW causes.
Unfortunately in the United States it has gotten to the point where companies have to step in because the political system is so corrupt that nothing changes even though the wide majority of people have huge issues with the current gun laws.

I pretty much guarantee MEC only took this stance because so many other US companies are also making a stand right now.

Dicks sporting goods, Walmart and many more huge chains are standing up to these politicians and firearms companies saying things need to change and if you aren't going to change them then we will do it ourselves. Refusing to sell certain products, implementing their own age requirements etc and I bet some of these companies if told to back down would be willing to get out of firearms all together.

Your argument unfortunately only makes sense if we lived in a true democracy in which each person has an equal say and laws are designed as such but we don't and neither do our southern neighbours(even worse down there). The only say us people get is to choose between one corrupt politician and another and that is why nothing changes...

Hopefully MEC's stance and all the other companies doing similar will force these powerful companies like Vista to start lobbying for realistic gun law changes.