Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter55 View Post
I would add a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag if the law allowed it...
Marlin 1894 in 44 mag works for me, though it is a bit bulkier than the Super Redhawk. Still fairly light to carry, easy to sling around your back, better ballistics than a handgun and holds a few more rounds. Bear spray and some common dog go a long way as well. FWIW, I am comfortable with my choice.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter55 View Post
I would add a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag if the law allowed it...
screw the 44mag. Go with a 460 S&W or 500 S&W. At least with the 460 you could still shoot 454 Casull or 45Colt.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 AM

CQB rifle
ruger frontier in 300wsm, 2.5 loopy forward mounted, 16" bbl, good from 3 to300 yards. its couple inches shorter than a 1022.
not a pleasure cruise to shoot
easier to use,carry, swing than my 870 home defence 12guage in tight places

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 PM

12 ga. coach gun. Side-by-side with 3" mag, 1 1/4 oz. slugs. Short, quick and deadly.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Ya gotta ask yourself 1.what you are carrying this thing for? Then you gotta ask 2.what is going to be the easiest most user friendly and effective?

Now the answers to these questions are really not black and white and are open to a lot of personal opinion.

1. Carry something to give me peace of mind. This could be any sort of defence item as long as it makes you feel good it doesn't matter really how effective it will actually be if needed. If you see a bear fairly close you could pick up a club like stick and you may feel a little better.

At one time a friend of mine carried a .22 mag. handgun while bow hunting. Once he stumbled into a sow Black bear and cubs. He backed up and drew out the handgun and the bears all retreated. AEven though the .22 mag. was maybe not the most effective tool, it made him feel less "unarmed".

Or you may really want something that will really be very effective if you have to really use it.

2. A big magnum rifle is only going to be effective if you have it ready to use and at hand at all times. A .22 mag. loaded on your hip is far more effective than a .45/70 that is unloaded and leaning against a tree on the other side of the bear.

If you are going to shoot a bear I would think it is best that it is shot dead ASAP. However if a shot of bear pepper spray is going to turn a bear away and cause it to leave, it may be the best instant option for you and the bear.

I carry bear pepper spray. If I legally could I would like to carry a .357 mag handgun loaded and on my hip and the spray.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Sorry, I'm more lazy than frightened. When I go hiking I need a VERY good reason to put an extra 9 or 10 unwieldy pounds on my back. The chances of running into an aggressive bear, not being able to scare him off, and bearspray not doing the trick just aren't high enough for me.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Sorry, I'm more lazy than frightened. When I go hiking I need a VERY good reason to put an extra 9 or 10 unwieldy pounds on my back. The chances of running into an aggressive bear, not being able to scare him off, and bearspray not doing the trick just aren't high enough for me.
You've summed up how I feel!

When I hike with others that don't hunt, both men and women, quite often, they want to pack my rifle. I gladly hand it over. The same goes for my bear spray/ bear banger belt. Better than leaving it home when you have others in your group that want to pack.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Last June, I fished the Kenai River in Alaska. I was kind of surprised when on the first day there, I was asked by one of the members of our group, "what do you want to pack"? He was a police officer from Anchorage and just happened to have a couple side arms and a 12 gauge defender along for the trip. My answer was "nothing, if someone else is packing".

This was the first time I have witnessed someone else "having to shoot" in self defense. It was a young fisherman from another group that drew his 9mm and fired 2 quick shots over the head of a black bear sow with 2 cubs at not much more than arms' length. It got him out of the willows and back to the river's edge without further incident. Not a lot of fire power, but it was enough of a distraction to keep him and the bears out of harm's way.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
There's a bear that needs edgumacating, and perhaps the campers as well. Were they following good camp cleanliness rules, or was this just a bear that needs to be thinned from the gene pool?
Heres the thread with some pics, good guy, avid outdoorsmen and a bit of a gunnut as well.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...grizzly+attack
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 AM

Being raided in your camp/tent notwithstanding, there is a difference between hiking/fishing etc and hunting. When hiking, often you are making some noise, even if alone, folks are snapping twigs as they walk, talking to each other or themselves, whistling etc. Bears have a bit of notice that you are coming along the trail and will likely dodge around you. Lessens the chance of stumbling into one. Also, common dog says in bear country you are looking around and should spot sign etc. Remember, you are sightseeing so will be focused on seeing wildlife in general.

Out hunting, you are moving quietly, doing your best to become one with the country. Yes, you are alert to seeing movement, maybe hearing sounds etc but, are you focused on bears or are you looking to see a part of an elk, mulie, white tail, moose. Obviously if bear hunting then you are focused on seeing bear parts through the brush. But if hunting elk, you are watching for a patch of tan several feet above ground, maybe the flash of antlers, the horizontal angle of the animals back? The things that your brain processes as "Is this an elk I can shoot?" A number of times I have seen a stump that I looked at, my brain said stump not mulie and then the stump stood up. Fairly simple to trip over cubs while sneaking around too.
Maybe the shot that dropped your game acted as the dinner bell for each bear in the area, has been known to happen.

Now for weaponry, unless bow hunting, you likely are carrying a fairly significant rifle. 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 7 MM etc are the common ones. I am a 35 Whelen owner/operator during hunting season in bear country.

My point to this bit of rambling is this: While hunting you stand a better chance of a close encounter IMHO but, will be armed for big game. While hiking, you are probably better served with bear spray that you have practiced with and/or a light but potent firearm which is accessible ie carried not leaning against a tree, that you are skilled and confident with.

In any of these situations though, common dog needs to be applied. As I mentioned previously, I am happy with my Marlin 44 mag while fishing/hiking or picture taking but I am aware of the limitations too. Have been bluffed a time or two but have yet to discharge either bear spray or a shot at a bear.
My 2cents.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Default Trail guns

So if you are not hunting, just camping or hiking is it legal to carry a shotgun? I didn't think it was.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 AM

I either carry a Rem 700 LVSF in 7-08AI or I'm not carrying much at all.....
Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Marlin 1895 Guide .45-70. Learn to reload.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I always bring someone that can't run as fast as me

BigLou, it's legal to carry a gun with you even when your not hunting unless of course your in a provincial or federal park or a posted game reserve or sanctuary. I always have one with me when I'm camping or hiking. I like my 870 combo with the slug barrel on it but I find my Winchester Model 94 in 32 Win Special much easier to carry and handle through the bush. I'd really like to get a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 but the ol budget won't allow for that right now
Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Default Just in case

For a just-in-case gun when I'm hiking or camping I sling either my 20 ga Remington 870 Express with a slug barrel, loaded with slugs, or my .303. The piece I carry on any given day depends on what I feel like carrying but I don't like to go into the woods unarmed. I plan to go gold panning in bear country this summer and I'll probably pack the British heat.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM

marlin 45-70 it will be!! I'm happy with my marine magnum, but have always wanted a marlin anyway. I would like to see a wilderness carry permit easier to attain for handguns.