Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM

Default Ammo - Calgary

Besides Wholesale, Canadian Tire, and Shooters Edge what other options are there in Calgary for ammo? I suppose Bass Pro might be an option, but I have yet to run all the way up there to look. Any options in Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore etc.? I tried WSS, CT, and SE and all are short on ammo supply, and it didn't sound like they knew when to expect more. I'm looking for 30-06 Federal Premium 180 Gr Nosler Partition. Kind of thought this would have been fairly standard stuff. I don't reload.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 PM
sheephunter

I'd try BPS.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 PM

No big supplies at BPS either. You can also try Proline Shooters on 9th Ave in Inglewood. Nothing in Cochrane (I wish).

Frans
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 PM

Never been to Proline, just may have to check them out. Guess it sounds like a road trip to BPS is in order to see if I'm in luck.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM

You'll be out of luck for those at Bass Pro, they don't carry any Federal Ammo at all, strangely enough. I find Bass Pro's ammo selection quite poor for the size of the store, and what they do have tends to be sold out in the common calibres, while they're simultaneously overstocked in the weird cartridges.

Also PM Sent.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You'll be out of luck for those at Bass Pro, they don't carry any Federal Ammo at all, strangely enough. I find Bass Pro's ammo selection quite poor for the size of the store, and what they do have tends to be sold out in the common calibres, while they're simultaneously overstocked in the weird cartridges.

Also PM Sent.
I've bought several boxes of Federal ammo at BPS.

Nothing recently mind you.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 PM

I was just there a few days ago and there was a few boxes of Federal Gold Medal...First time I have seen them there...Sorry I didn't look at calibre
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Try UFA
Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Bass Pro only seems to stock the high-end federal ammo. Proline is the only name you seem to have missing from your list.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Thank you all, I'll get looking into some options here in the next few days. PM returned.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 04-26-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Thank you all, I'll get looking into some options here in the next few days. PM returned.
If you really get desperate, Wolverine Sports in Red Deer might be worth a call.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If you really get desperate, Wolverine Sports in Red Deer might be worth a call.
Thanks again. I want to make sure I am able to do a bunch of shooting over the next few months, but more importantly not be scrambling for ammo last minute in July. Never figured I'd have to worry about stocking up on this stuff.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Thanks again. I want to make sure I am able to do a bunch of shooting over the next few months, but more importantly not be scrambling for ammo last minute in July. Never figured I'd have to worry about stocking up on this stuff.
It's a real consideration for sure. I'm sure V would sell you some Trophy Bonded Tips or TSX if you really get desperate..
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
It's a real consideration for sure. I'm sure V would sell you some Trophy Bonded Tips or TSX if you really get desperate..
Always good to have options. Ho hum only 90 or so more sleeps.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
If he started shooting TSX he would have a problem cause he'd never go back to the NP's again!!

Ahh....the joys of being a reloader!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Try Proline, they don't always have the best selection, but I try and support those guys as much as I can. I essentially buy everything firearm related from them if possible. There prices tend to be just as similar, sometimes better then the Whole sale, BPS etc.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
Try Proline, they don't always have the best selection, but I try and support those guys as much as I can. I essentially buy everything firearm related from them if possible. There prices tend to be just as similar, sometimes better then the Whole sale, BPS etc.
Good job on supporting the little guy.lol Those big box stores do have some things that are must haves but I agree many times the little guys prices are exactly the same. Not worth puttin them outta business in my books.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM

you could also try fly's ect in high river he has a wide selection but not a lot of each prices are rather reasonable he is on centre ave right across from the napa
Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 AM

You could always get one of your buddies to reload for you... Then maybe you could find another 180 bullet to sub out for the Nosler for cheaper practice if they shoot the same.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM

Default Proline

Proline sells ammo? Sheesh, I've been there many times, even had gun work done there, never noticed the ammo. I like the place but it doesn't seem like a place that would have an extensive supply of anything. I need more coffee and to open my eyes apparently.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post
You could always get one of your buddies to reload for you... Then maybe you could find another 180 bullet to sub out for the Nosler for cheaper practice if they shoot the same.
Ding dong....I have been pushing this idea for a while....
Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 PM

Proline does have ammo just not very much.

But reloading does solve lots of problems, introduces some but as a rule fixes more than it causes. Just don't assume you will save money, you will have good ammo though.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
If he started shooting TSX he would have a problem cause he'd never go back to the NP's again!!

Ahh....the joys of being a reloader!!!
I think Duk is more ethical than to use those evil bullets!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post
This may be getting closer to what I eventually need to do. I've got a pile of 30-06 brass.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

you can try P&D in edmonchuck also...great service....i would phone any shop first to confirm they have some....and if your like me and get tired of running around.....once you have your load of course.....then i buy a case or two at a time....the two and half cases i have of the federal premium 140 ab's in 270 wsm set me back a penny but figure i'll be hunting those for years and years....even with the coyotes

try a box of 180 accubonds and go head to head with your partitions at 100 for 5 shot groups and see what you think, on game performance won't leave you wanting but the accuracy and 5-600 yrd energy gains from the higher bc etc. will roast the partition
Old 04-27-2010, 08:40 PM

When you selected the 180Gr Federal premium load, what other loads did you try?

Are you married to the 180Gr bullet weight?

If you do need some loading done, I'm happy to resize and tumble your brass then toss it on Trev's doorstep for loading
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
When you selected the 180Gr Federal premium load, what other loads did you try?

Are you married to the 180Gr bullet weight?

If you do need some loading done, I'm happy to resize and tumble your brass then toss it on Trev's doorstep for loading
TK - I don't recall all the specific ammo I tried, but I did go through the process of trying numerous boxes of different brands, bullet types and weights. With what I tried my gun certainly preferred the heavier 180 gr bullet and also seems to shoot the NP well. I do remember there being a noticeable difference with the different ammo that I tried out though. I'm flexible to try different stuff to see what will and won't work - however with three months to go though I'd have to really look at my available free time to make sure there is enough to do some tinkering.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 04-27-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Duk,

From the bullets I remember you testing, I think you covered it pretty good, and enough for this season and your upcoming hunts. You have a round that seems to work well for your rifle and a guy could spend the summer 'tinkering' and looking for different loads or doing some handloading, but in the end at least you know you have a round that works and you can just worry about shooting.

We need to get together, get all that brass of yours, and tumble/size it and then work on some reloading and find the PERFECT all-around load. I really like a 165TSX in the 30-06....as unethical as they may be!