Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2021, 03:19 PM

Default New Jiffy Torch Auger first look video

Hey all,

Fresh out of the box is the new Jiffy Torch.

I got through the new Flight and show you what the new product has to offer.

Have a quick look at this video and let me know what you think. They're in stock in stores and online right now.

Get one before they're gone.

Hope you enjoy

https://youtu.be/HYneb8K4ivg
Old 11-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Holy centering point Batman!!!

All joking aside, I'm waiting for the videos to start rolling out comparing it to the Eskimo Pistol Bit and SM Lite-Flite Lazer. It should be slower than those two with a chipper blade, but less sensitive to blade dulling which can be an issue for the shavers. It also has a collar similar to the StrikeMasters, which have been causing all sorts of problems since release...hopefully Jiffy's are better in that regard. Finally the weight is right there with the SM, but the Pistol Bit is a lot lighter because it has an aluminum center shaft instead of steel and composite guard ring. Still, with Cabelas pricing at $200 for the Jiffy, $260 for the StrikeMaster, and $300 for the Eskimo, the Jiffy looks like a great deal. I'm considering picking up a 6" Jiffy when I'm in Edmonton tomorrow to pick up my new Otter hub, as 6" Pistol Bits are like hens teeth.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:37 PM

I haven't had it out on the ice yet but will be doing a video as soon as I can.

I have buddies with 8" in the 2 other brands you mention so we'll see how they all compare.

That center pin means business for sure.

Just seen today that they'll be $30 off at Cabela's starting Nov 22
Old 11-18-2021, 04:44 PM

I'll be curious how the collar is when you start leaning on it a bit. There is a certain convenience to being able to attach the company's powerhead down the road. But not if the connecting bolt repeatedly falls out on the ice.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I have buddies with 8" in the 2 other brands you mention so we'll see how they all compare.
Just make sure it's a fair test, and not the sandbagging BS StrikeMaster did here and here. Mind you they got b!$%^ed out so bad on iceshanty.com that the entertainment value alone was probably worth it.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Just make sure it's a fair test, and not the sandbagging BS StrikeMaster did here and here. Mind you they got b!$%^ed out so bad on iceshanty.com that the entertainment value alone was probably worth it.

It’s nearly impossible to do a fair test. The only way to do a fair test is comparing brand new out of box with factory sharpened blades for all the bits and comparable drills. Drill side by side and switch the fellas using them and drill again since everyone leans or applies different amounts of pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-18-2021, 08:50 PM

That's what they did, or claim to have done. No brand is twice as fast as the others. Especially comparing two brands with the same types of blades.
That's just BS.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:17 PM

Default Jiffy Torch Auger

That's a great looking ice auger flight. Interesting that it only has the one blade on the flight. Can't say I recall seeing only one blade on any other ice augers over the years. But if it goes through ice, that's all that matters.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Hey all,

Fresh out of the box is the new Jiffy Torch.

I got through the new Flight and show you what the new product has to offer.

Have a quick look at this video and let me know what you think. They're in stock in stores and online right now.

Get one before they're gone.

Hope you enjoy

https://youtu.be/HYneb8K4ivg
Appreciate the video and Jiffy's attempt to bust into the electric market. I really wanna believe but they have a tough road ahead trying to bring the most specialized and inneficient cutting head into the electric market where efficiency is the name of the game.

Quote:
Not seeing what you are laying down...we clearly share different definitions of sandbagging
Old 11-19-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Appreciate the video and Jiffy's attempt to bust into the electric market. I really wanna believe but they have a tough road ahead trying to bring the most specialized and inneficient cutting head into the electric market where efficiency is the name of the game.
Not seeing what you are laying down. The Jiffy’s do with one blade what most others do with two. They were the gold standard in the gas powered market for years and whomped on shaver-bladed StrikeMasters in hole drilling contests at derby’s all through the 90s when I sold dozens of them for TFH. I had to have new blades and pretty much sit on my SM to keep up with Jiify’s.

Quote:
Not seeing what you are laying down...we clearly share different definitions of sandbagging
Watch the red head in the first video drill with the Nils with bent arms and no weight on it. Then watch him lock out his elbows and sit down on the SM. If you’re still a little confused what’s going on, try reading the comments. Beyond that, I don’t know what to say other than enjoy your StrikeMaster.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post

I really want to see this drill in action. I'm sure they have tested numerous times. Being last to market I expect it do me exceptional or better then most but we will see. The price tag is perfect though.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-19-2021, 01:07 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Not seeing what you are laying down. The Jiffy’s do with one blade what most others do with two. They were the gold standard in the gas powered market for years and whomped on shaver-bladed StrikeMasters in hole drilling contests at derby’s all through the 90s when I sold dozens of them for TFH. I had to have new blades and pretty much sit on my SM to keep up with Jiify’s.

Watch the red head in the first video drill with the Nils with bent arms and no weight on it. Then watch him lock out his elbows and sit down on the SM. If you’re still a little confused what’s going on, try reading the comments. Beyond that, I don’t know what to say other than enjoy your StrikeMaster.
Lol ok maybe I was a bit harsh and if I can be proven wrong I'm fine with that but Jiffys as I've known and used them would absolutely have a tougher time at getting the most out of a battery. I stand by that.
On my phone with limited data so I'll watch again later. Knowing how they work though the funny thing is if one is leaning to hard not exactly doing it any favors
Old 11-19-2021, 07:47 PM

A little back and forth ribbing in the name of Auger Wars is all good. Seriously though, watch the video. It's so obvious. All the 40V electrics are within a hair of each other, never mind coupling an identical drill to competing flites. It's just so obvious in the videos.

And I do hear what you're saying with the Jiffy's. I had my mitts on the 6" Torch at Cabela's this afternoon (along with the SM Lite-Flite Lazer) but wound up passing. The Jiffy is just too unproven for me still. Eskimo Pistol Bit or (likely) bust for this fella...