Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 AM

Default Fishing Line

Line technology has changed so much in the last little bit, so in keeping up with the times I've tried several different kinds of line in the past couple years and really haven't liked any of them. What has worked the best for you? And what would you not reccemmend for a good all around line? I like to fish pike, walleye and trout, both lakes and streams.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM

What I've found it that I really like flouro, its basically "invisible" and its low stretch, so that fits me. also I like Fireline braid, again no-stretch and its good for hook setting. and a plus to that also is they both cast farther too
I've now stopped buying mono because I find it stretches too much and I never get a good hookset unless I use a stiff rod.
Actually, come to think of it I do use mono, but only for fly fishing leaders and tippets.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 AM

I love the fireline braid, I spool my bait cast with 15# with has a 4# diameter, it casts a mile and is rock solid on the hook sets. Original fire line is great as well, I tried the crystal last year and found it a little stiff I would go with smoked. DO NOT get spider wire!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM

I've stuck with mono but really only because that is what I know. I figure it's caught fish for years, so... I'd be willing to try other substances, and I'm really not price adverse. None of the prices I see scare me away. I just know nothing about fluro or braided, etc. I just don't want to overcomplicate things. If I have to tie on extra leaders etc. I'd rather not.

I dunno... I'm SO CONFUSED!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 AM

fluoro is amazing stuff, invisible, no stretch very strong... all leaders should be made with fluoro imo
Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Sufix Fuse
Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
fluoro is amazing stuff, invisible, no stretch very strong... all leaders should be made with fluoro imo
Would you use a whole reel of it in a spinning outfit?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 AM

I made the switch to braided lines years ago, and have now started adding floro leaders to the mix. To me it seems like a good combo, whether or not I actually catch more, I'd like to think so. I'd probably catch more if the wife would let me fish more often...lol
Old 05-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Would you use a whole reel of it in a spinning outfit?
You could, but that would be expensive. I would use mono or braid with a fluoro leader, some guys put 10 feet at the end of there normal line but I dont think that is necessary. I would use mono if I was spinning, braid is good but to get the same action one would need a very heavy braid, as the diameter is extremely small. All in all i would go mono with a fluoro leader

walleyechaser
Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Line to Line with Flouro leader? Or Line swivel Flouro?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTornado View Post
Line to Line with Flouro leader? Or Line swivel Flouro?
I've been using a swivel myself, but that mainly because I can't tie line to line worth a damn...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM

could do either, but it really isnt that hard to tie line to line, there are many videos on you tube showing how
Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 PM

I recently respooled my walleye rig with powerpro(braid), with a floro leader. Little bit tricky to make a good knot with(just swithced from mono myself), but they recommend some inside the box. Hopefully it will work better for the finicky 'eye. Hittin Newell in a few weeks with my dad and bro. We'll see......
Old 05-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Do not use gorilla line. spider wire and flouro is good
Old 05-07-2010, 07:54 PM

I really loved my full spool of Fireline tracer braid I put on last year, was sad to see the last of that go when I was hitting the spool on medium length casts.. only bunched up on me once.

I got some Fireline Crystal Fuse on sale last year and put it on the short rod, and I think someone mentioned it, it's very stiff, it's almost like it's got memory, but it can be molded around a finger and will remember that shape.. reels in smooth enough tho, BUT it looks like it's fraying all over the place, like a piece of yarn. hasn't broken on me yet tho

Longer rod I just got, I put some 20lb Sufix braid on it, love the sensitivity of braid, at first (last year) I had to resist the feeling of nibbles, realizing it was the motion of the spinner during the retrieve lol..

Also put some Trilene Big Game on, and on my boys spincasters, and I dislike it a lot, that's got more memory than an elephant.. I just hate seeing a spiral sitting on top of the water.

I've never tried tying on a leader, the only time I did was a trip to the NSR in the hopes of a sharp toothed pike chomping on it, I bought a 2pack of steel or titanium leaders.. I'm too lazy I think.. I usually just tie on a snap swivel and change lures on the go with that.. really considering grabbing some Vanish (any thoughts on that) or something and tying it onto a swivel attachment (even though I can knot two lines together)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Cant stand braided line! I had spiderwire on all my rods for awhile and it chewed up the line guides realy bad. I now use berkley 10 lb "big game" line on my spinning rods but still have spiderwire on my baitcasting rig. Will maby put fireline on the baitcaster next year and see if I like it better but I'm going to stick with mono on all my spinning gear.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:24 PM

Default Fireline

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
You could, but that would be expensive. I would use mono or braid with a fluoro leader, some guys put 10 feet at the end of there normal line but I dont think that is necessary. I would use mono if I was spinning, braid is good but to get the same action one would need a very heavy braid, as the diameter is extremely small. All in all i would go mono with a fluoro leader

walleyechaser
Fireline 10#/4# diamiter will get your cranks down farther than Triline 10#with less line out. For finese jigging, floro leader is the ticket, for bottom bouncing, all my line counters have Fireline tracer.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG View Post
Fireline 10#/4# diamiter will get your cranks down farther than Triline 10#with less line out. For finese jigging, floro leader is the ticket, for bottom bouncing, all my line counters have Fireline tracer.
definitely agree
Old 05-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Avoid spiderwire stealth camo braid. It lasted me a month.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 AM

After spending hundreds of dollars on all the latest super braids & what not, I've gone back to P-Line fluorocarbon & have been a happy camper ever since! I have lost one too many big pike with knots slipping with the braids. I suppose I just have to work harder on tying proper knots but It's never been an issue with the fluoro. If I did have to choose a braided line it would be Fireline but not the crystal as has been mentioned already.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 AM

Fireline for braided line, can't go wrong.this season will try hybrid line p-line floro clear, i will let you guys know the result latter.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 AM

Default power pro

I went on a guided fishing trip 2 yrs ago and the guide was using power pro line and i used one of his rods all day and from that day on power pro all the way i use 20 lb test and it has a 6 lb test diameter no stretch so if a minnow touches your line you feel it right away,,,,,,,,,,,so for me it's power pro or nothing !!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Avoid spiderwire stealth camo braid. It lasted me a month.
What happened with your Spiderwire? I've got that stuff (50lb) on my beefy rod and haven't had a problem with it yet.

I also run Firewire (regular and crystal) on a few other spools and so far I like it. Never tried the fluoro yet, but I'm sure I'll by tying leaders with it by the end of the season

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

For those who have problems with knot slipping/breaking use Palomar knot, it is very easy to tie and is most reliable, if you really want to make it "secure" you can always double loop it. With mono/flouro/braid/fuse lines, palomar is #1.

Suffix is one of the braids that needs double loop on the knot, it's got waaaay too much wax on it and keeps slipping, double loop takes care of that.

P-line is awesome(i use it for ultralight setups, in 2lb-4lb test) my pick is "fluoroclear", it is cheap($10 for 300yds) has low memory and holds(palomar)knots very good, even though it is 4lb test it is very hard to break it.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 AM

I personally like Berkley vanish in 6lb for walleye