Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Oh no drama intended boys, sorry to offend if I did. Just can't help myself when a guy is whackin a limit of fish on their spawning beds every other day on a pressured central alberta fishery, AND post on social media,and then has the nerve to preach catch and release ethics on some good old glow in the dark alberta river wally that may or might not have even been caught. Sorry I can't help it. It's about ethics Zip, and respect for what's left of our fisheries regardless of what the regulations say.
Lmao, and you don’t mean offend!!!
Old 10-30-2021, 09:43 AM

All I got is if he caught a big /record fish and kept it then this would be the last place I would post it. Can only imagine what about half the people would say. I wouldn’t put myself through that either.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:55 AM

I'd hollow it out and jam that bugger full of lead weights and sand. Super glue the holes on both ends shut.

I'd like to see someone beat my record 100 pounder!!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Same fish from a river likely 2-3lbs heavier.

Fall river eyes have shoulders lake fish can only dream of.
I'd agree with that. We pulled one out of the Athabasca river upsteam from Fort McMurray a few years back that was a hair under 30" and it weighed a couple ounces shy of 10lbs. Can't actually say we've ever got one over 30" or 10 pounds but that one was a close as you could get. I'd like to think its still swimming around out there.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Lmao, and you don’t mean offend!!!
No kidding. Funny thing is that I don't think the comments were anything about his particular post. I would think more about all the doubters. I think pikeman thinks the world revolves around him. Only thing is he is on a very small planet with a population of 1.

I'm hoping the new walleye record comes through
Old 10-31-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I'd agree with that. We pulled one out of the Athabasca river upsteam from Fort McMurray a few years back that was a hair under 30" and it weighed a couple ounces shy of 10lbs. Can't actually say we've ever got one over 30" or 10 pounds but that one was a close as you could get. I'd like to think its still swimming around out there.
I would agree as well. My biggest was caught off the boat launch on the RDR. Fought way more than any lake walleye I've caught. I honestly thought I had a decent pike on until I saw it.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:04 AM

If you take a close look at the 32.5 12lb walleye caught in the shallow water and how nice and fat it is it makes you wonder how a fish only 1 1/2 inch longer can weight almost 50% more.

If it happened it must be on hec of a waleye and I would sure like to see a pic of that fish. Must look like a big fat spring salmon with a huge belly.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:36 AM

my 31 inch walleye weight was 12 lbs15 oz ,, big belly like a huge lake trout gets
Old 10-31-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
If you take a close look at the 32.5 12lb walleye caught in the shallow water and how nice and fat it is it makes you wonder how a fish only 1 1/2 inch longer can weight almost 50% more.

If it happened it must be on hec of a waleye and I would sure like to see a pic of that fish. Must look like a big fat spring salmon with a huge belly.
lol I know people only 1 1/2 Inch taller that weigh 100% more. Maybe the new stocking strains have a genetic likely hood to be obese
Old 10-31-2021, 10:30 PM

Lots of interesting stories here thought I'd share mine.

Posted this before, my biggest Walleye (Greenback) came from the Winnipeg River, near Pine Falls, Mb. on October 12, 1994. We were drift fishin a large under water hump that came up from 25 to 12 ft.

My partner missed netting the fish a couple of times then finally got it. Kept it & weighed it on a certified butcher shop scale at 14 lbs, 12 oz, I didn't pinch the tail but she measured out at 33.5" length & 20 1/8" girth.

Al Linder, Doug Stange & Alex Keszler were in the boat next to us filming an In-Fisherman Fall Fishing episode & took pic's of my fish. Doug S. published a pic & sent me a card & copy of their 1994 Walleye Insider .... that was very special.

I would love to see a 34" walleye that scaled in at 17.6 lbs.

Cheers

David

Old 11-01-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Lots of interesting stories here thought I'd share mine.

Posted this before, my biggest Walleye (Greenback) came from the Winnipeg River, near Pine Falls, Mb. on October 12, 1994. We were drift fishin a large under water hump that came up from 25 to 12 ft.

My partner missed netting the fish a couple of times then finally got it. Kept it & weighed it on a certified butcher shop scale at 14 lbs, 12 oz, I didn't pinch the tail but she measured out at 33.5" length & 20 1/8" girth.

Al Linder, Doug Stange & Alex Keszler were in the boat next to us filming an In-Fisherman Fall Fishing episode & took pic's of my fish. Doug S. published a pic & sent me a card & copy of their 1994 Walleye Insider .... that was very special.

I would love to see a 34" walleye that scaled in at 17.6 lbs.

Cheers

David
AND THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! should answer any question as to weather this fish of no pic's ever did exist. Seems highly unlikely, but fish stories are always fun.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:06 PM

The guy who caught it just sent me a picture what a fish. Hopefully one day he will release them to the public but unlikely on this forum.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
The guy who caught it just sent me a picture what a fish. Hopefully one day he will release them to the public but unlikely on this forum.
Your the 3 or 4th guy on this thread to say you seen a pic of this monster walleye, you'd think by now someone would of posted the pic someplace even with the back ground & the fisherman's face blacked out or on a bump board .... NO ?????

This fish is <3 lbs heavier that the one I caught, would love to see it on a bump board, that would be a trophy of a life time.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:19 PM

With respect to the guy that caught it I will not be the one sharing the photo. I wish I had a picture of my ex father-in-law‘s he got one in slave lake that measured 37” he won angler of the year and did not break that weight.

I’m sure the picture will come out in time just have to be patient. Guys who shoot record book animals don’t show a picture right away either.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
With respect to the guy that caught it I will not be the one sharing the photo. I wish I had a picture of my ex father-in-law‘s he got one in slave lake that measured 37” he won angler of the year and did not break that weight.

I’m sure the picture will come out in time just have to be patient. Guys who shoot record book animals don’t show a picture right away either.
That's fair, I would do the same.

To bad no one had a pic, would love to see the 37" beast, I imagine it was just as skinny as the Pike I found in Sylvan.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-01-2021, 11:16 PM

All these stories of big fish..... yet know one has photos of any of them! It's all just a dream until there is proof boys and girls. I actually have photos of my biggest one, but out of respect to all you dreamers out there, I wont be posting it!
Old 11-02-2021, 12:06 AM

Amazing that in Ontario the record walleye was 36.5 inches long and had a girth of 21. It weighed 22.25 lbs. It will take a while for Alberta to beat that.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-02-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:

if he won angler of the year then there is a photo of it on the website, what year was it
Old 11-02-2021, 12:26 PM

Did a little browsing found this, something to share.

If records are to have any credibility, all facts must be verified: date, place taken in Alberta, weight (on a government certified scale), dimensions, species verification, colour pictures if possible, and that the catch was legally taken by sportfishing methods. The burden of proof is more stringent when a record is sought.

Cheers

D.

Alberta Record = Angler: Joe Smith Weight: 15 lbs 8 ozs Location: Pembina River Date: 2000 Note: Couldn't find any measurements for this fish.

Saskatchewan record walleye 18.45 from Tobin in 2005 has a girth of 22.5 inches and measures 36.5 inches long. Couldn’t find a pic on net. It looks similar to Father Mariusz's walleye (Pic below) that was caught ice fishing in Tobin but his was 18.3 a few oz short of the Prov. record.

The Canadian record walleye, caught in Niagara River in Ontario, currently stands at 22 pounds, 4 ounces. Length = 36.5 Girth = 21.0 Date 05/26/1943 Angler = Patrick Noon Waterbody = Niagara River .... Couldn’t find any Pic’s on the net.

For a comparison look at this Columbia River, Washington state, 20-pound, 5-ounce walleye caught in 2014 ... nice fish.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-02-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:30 PM

Yea...I'd like to see it, love big Walleye
Old 11-02-2021, 12:31 PM

WOW....some Monsters!!
thx
Old 11-03-2021, 06:19 AM

He told me to post a picture so here you go outdoorsmen.

Not a small guy holding that fish either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5402E73-64EC-41B3-ADB8-671C9E2D9404.jpg (39.8 KB, 429 views)
Old 11-03-2021, 08:14 AM

Definitely looks fatter than the current record but does not look to be the same size as father mariusz's walleye, could be, tough angle to tell. Guess we will see when its in the books. Judging by the way this is playing out im guessing we will never see that happen
Old 11-03-2021, 08:37 AM

LoL for once arms bent not exagerating size and fish looks small
Old 11-03-2021, 09:09 AM

Measurements go as follows
24-3/16” girth
34” long
17.53lbs
Weighed on a post office scale

He had it weighed on an official scale so it should be in the books
Old 11-03-2021, 09:21 AM

For all of you saying this walleye doesn't look that large, blah, blah, etc.....just look at the girth of the tail section relative to his hand. It's very large. Period.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Definitely looks fatter than the current record but does not look to be the same size as father mariusz's walleye, could be, tough angle to tell. Guess we will see when its in the books. Judging by the way this is playing out im guessing we will never see that happen
The problem is the current record looks like a 10lb fish not 15lb 8oz. In the photo of this new fish, it looks to have a belly like a laker, which means big weight on a walleye.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:56 AM

Those of us who have met this fella know he has hands like catchers mitts.

Hilarious the photo detectives are still undetermined lol

Its over boys. Gonna be a real tough record to beat.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:58 AM

Nice record Walleye ... Congrat's to your buddy.

Hope he has a pic with a bigger smile for the record books .... .

D.

Quote:
Measurements go as follows
24-3/16” girth
34” long
17.53lbs
Weighed on a post office scale

He had it weighed on an official scale so it should be in the books

Met .... If records are to have any credibility, all facts must be verified: date, place taken in Alberta, weight (on a government certified scale), dimensions, species verification, colour pictures if possible, and that the catch was legally taken by sportfishing methods. The burden of proof is more stringent when a record is sought.

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-03-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:06 AM

Big fish, congrats.