Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Default Swan River

Well for the past little while I've been trying to get some information on this river.

I've searched all over the net and the only real information that I can find is from the Backroads Mapbook.

I've gone scouting in the past few weeks. Finding access points, pools and creek mouths.

I'm wondering if anybody has fished this river is willing to share some tips. I'll be fly-fishing this river.

Thanks all!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Hi noslack, I have fished the Swan River many times and it can be quite good for Grayling especially later in the year when the water clears up. As for access, if you have the Backroads book, use it to explore the area west of Edith Lake. There are many accesses on the mutitiude of oil roads in that area and all produce Grayling. Watch out though, that clay can get pretty greasy when its wet, which seems to be most every day up in that country!
We fish it mostly with ultralights and small spoons or spinners but the grayling always seem pretty active and should take any sort of small flies, although I've not seen to much surface action so you may want to try some small nymphs or Black Gnats. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks!!!

Yeah I've been scouting the area west of Edith Lake and everything looks promising!

AS for types of flies. probably just going to use typical trout flies.

Man oh Man I can't wait for opener!!! I was checking out the Swan River last weekend and it's looking good in the upper reaches of the river.

Anybody have any other tips they'd like to share. Maybe even about the Mooshorn river??

Thanks Genoel!!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM

I forgot all about west of edith lake as actually the creek that runs right beside edith has grayling in it they actually get in the lake at high water
Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Not this year!!!

Yeah the Swan Hills are a nice area. I'm looking forward to Opener!!