Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Default Clear Lake Directions

I have heard many of you speak of fishing at Clear Lake down south by Stavely. Would someone be kind enough to give me directions on how to get there. I was hoping to take my son there fishing later this afternoon.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:45 AM

It is directly east of Stavely.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=13

There are a few ways to get in, depending on where on the lake you would like to be. The Google map is quite good, so you should be able to figure out exactly which route in you'd like to take by using it. All of the roads are labelled when you zoom in far enough.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for your help. Given I've never been there before and I would really like for my son to catch a fish, would you have any suggestions about where a good place to start would be?

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 AM

I've only fished it in the winter, so I'm not sure I don't have any bathymetry for this lake, either.

Perhaps someone else will chime in It isn't a very big lake, so it would be pretty easy to move a couple of times.

If you really want your boy to catch a fish, and aren't too picky about the type of fish, I would try Pine Coulee Reservoir (which is just west of Stavely). It doesn't open until May 21st, however. The walleye are (typically) easy to catch while sitting on the dock (using a piece of smelt and a jig head). My boy caught his first fish out there, and now he's "hooked."

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM

when you get the boat in the water look for shallow bays and fish the outer weedlines, the weeds come up so high that you can see them. make sure to use a spinnerbait with bright colors as the water is murky. You wont catch the big girls but all the little pike will be cruising in their.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Pine Coulee is were i got my first fish and it wasnt just one it was about 60 fish .if you are looking to keep fish the go for burbot not pike I find they are really hard to cetch there . let a jig sit a inch or two of the bottom ,right from the dock and fish will be hitting like crazy