Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Default Banff DIY fishing

I'm going to be in Banff in a few days and was wondering if there were any public fishing spots. Not looking to set the world on fire, just a place or two to go and have a little fun
Thanks in advance
Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 PM

All waters are public. Get a license, check the regs and look for stuff without ice/high/dirty water
Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
All waters are public. Get a license, check the regs and look for stuff without ice/high/dirty water
Will the water be to high to fish?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:24 PM

Bump
Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM

river is high and brown, can still catch fish but its not an easy task. Best bet would be vermillion lakes, two jack lake, johnson lake or lake minnewanka. Was at johnson last night and caught a few. The rise really starts to heat up around 9:00 and by 9:30 the whole lake was hoppin. Make sure you pick up your national park license.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedativ3 View Post
river is high and brown, can still catch fish but its not an easy task. Best bet would be vermillion lakes, two jack lake, johnson lake or lake minnewanka. Was at johnson last night and caught a few. The rise really starts to heat up around 9:00 and by 9:30 the whole lake was hoppin. Make sure you pick up your national park license.
I have heard varying reports on Vermillion. A guy at Wapati told me not to bother as there are nothing but suckers in there, and the guy who sold me my license says there are quite a few cutts….. What has you experience been, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
i have heard varying reports on vermillion. A guy at wapati told me not to bother as there are nothing but suckers in there, and the guy who sold me my license says there are quite a few cutts….. What has you experience been, if you don't mind me asking.
closed..bears !
Old 06-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
I have heard varying reports on Vermillion. A guy at Wapati told me not to bother as there are nothing but suckers in there, and the guy who sold me my license says there are quite a few cutts….. What has you experience been, if you don't mind me asking.

I would pass by there. Very shallow, prone to winterkill. The outlet is at the west end of town by the rail crossing. Bears are often seen at the west end without the current closure. I would expect that they are roaming the entire area now, not just the western part to justify the closure.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-27-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet527 View Post
I'm going to be in Banff in a few days and was wondering if there were any public fishing spots. Not looking to set the world on fire, just a place or two to go and have a little fun
Thanks in advance
get a license (national park) and rent a boat on minnewaka and catch big lakers all day
Old 06-27-2014, 08:19 PM

BEARS!!! I'm out !!! Lol. Thanks guys
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
closed..bears !
Wasn't planning on going anytime soon… I was just wondering what people's experiences were like for future reference, as, of course, they will open again.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 PM

How about September? I see a bunch of lakes incl minnewaka close on sept 2, any good spots in early sept?