Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Hand held artillery?

The Coriolis effect is in play here as well as wind. In the olden days naval gunnery offices used to have to work all this out with a slide rule. The guys on the Bismark were very good at this.

What we now know is that aiming systems are much more sophisticated, than previously available. Do you think it was one of those new laser sights that you put on the target and then wave the mussel around until the rifle fores? Or is this something new?

Remember the story at the Alamo in the 1830's when Santa Ana got hit in the ribs at a distance he claimed the American's "they couldn't hit an elephant at this ... ouch" . It was said it was 5 miles but I don't know.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:51 PM

Never going to get a first round hit at those ranges, it's the spotters job to talk him onto the target. Amazing work! One less savage in the world
Old 06-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Never going to get a first round hit at those ranges, it's the spotters job to talk him onto the target. Amazing work! One less savage in the world
You bet, that was the mission, and mission accomplished. I don't care that the bullet had to travel nearly 10 seconds to the intended target and that it may have been a lucky shot. Perhaps, the sniper knew and could estimate where the insurgent was going to walk and put the bullet in the path of his final location. It's a record, one that likely will be very hard if not impossible to match. It's also great news to hear that most record kills of bad people are in the hands of fine Canadian marksmen.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Totally agree this video gives us a glimpse of how it's done and the difficultly of making a shot at that distance

https://youtu.be/9NEO2BO7uqU

Last edited by stringer; 06-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned

Imagine this, you are shooting North to South.

If the top diagram in my sketch hypothetically was to be a waveform caused by a 10 MPH full value wind (east to west or west to east, shooting north to south or south to north), then the bottom waveform would be a 20 MPH full value wind also at full value. If the peaks of the waveforms were at half value, then what does it mean? Shooting North to South or South to North, it may indicate a full value wind of 20 MPH. Or then again, it could mean that wind velocity hasn't changed, but direction has. In this case, it could be a half value wind of same velocity but changed direction. Meaning that the wind velocity has NOT changed, but direction has, and the waveforms of mirage has messed up your mind.

But then again, the lower waveform could be a 10 MPH wind, seen at full value. Meaning that wind velocity downrange has doubled. Not so much in direction, but velocity.

Now, that wind velocity has been accounted for, as well as directions as the bullet travels to the intended target. And no accounting for the wind swirls at various ranges. Let's keep in mind that as the bullet travels to it's intended target, it slows down in flight. Thus it will be more affected to wind changes downrange.

At such distances, another factor has to be accounted for, the Corvallis effect. When the shooter "sends it", the bullet will travel nearly 10 seconds in flight. During that time if shooting north to south or south to north, the earth's rotation will put the intended target at a slightly different position than the point of impact. I would estimate that if shooting east to west or west to east along the equator or the axis of earth rotation, the effect is negated.

Either way, whether this mathematical equations were accounted for. That Canadian Sniper made an absolutely incredible shot. One to be proud of.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not saying that I am a marksman able to make such a kill shot. However, I totally understand the mathematical calculations and precision shooting required to make it so.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

Thus as posted above, we can adjust for wind velocities at various ranges. Those are most of us stretch the legs out out to our intended shooting ranges. I've not so far had to take the earth rotation as a differential in my ballistic calculations. But I do take all other parameters in the equation.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
As has been said , we dont know if it was a first, second or maybe third shot that hit its mark , but I would be inclined to think that a target wouldn't keep standing there if a first unsuccessful shot missed its mark .

It's been noted elsewhere that if they were shooting with a noise suppressor that at that distance the shot might not even be heard. The sound of a bullet hitting dirt may or may not be noticeable depending on the ambient noises around them. Idling diesel truck? Noisy guys chatting? Its not like they were in a library.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Banned

Noise suppressor or not. All that they heard was "whhoooshhh". Done deal.

I hit a steel chicken at 500 meters and I'm doing a chicken dance. This guy makes me look like a wannabee.

Last edited by gitrdun; 06-24-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:50 PM

HAHA!

I can see it now " No worries old trout, I gots dis!"
With no disrespect to our Armed Forces,, quite the opposite!
Cat
Old 06-27-2017, 09:58 AM

Rex did a thing on his YouTube channel about this. Interviewed an extreme long range shooter about it who specializes in ballistic tables and the math required. They figured 84 mils of elevation was required. That's 800 feet !
Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 AM

The latest development on this story.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/06...m-sniper-shot/

Quote:

OTTAWA – Minister of National Defence Harjit Sajjan told reporters that he was “the architect” behind the record-breaking 3.5 kilometre sniper shot reported by Canadian defence officials.

“I can confirm that I, Harjit Sajjan, successfully hit a target at 3,540 metres,” said the minister in a press conference at DND Headquarters. “I can also confirm that the shot in question halted an entire Daesh invasion.”

The minister said at that range he had to adjust for the weapon’s ballistics, windage, and the Coriolis effect, which he said he was the first to reveal in a paper published in 1835. He explained that he decided to attempt the shot so he would not have to single-handedly parachute behind enemy lines in a tank from 10,000 feet while firing dual-wield grenade launchers, which he had already done many times before.

“I am honoured to break the record that I set during the Boer War,” added Sajjan.

Sajjan says the operation fell within the parameters of the government-mandated training mission, which allows members of the Canadian Special Operations Task Force to explode other people’s heads in an advisory capacity.
Tags: Canadian sniper, Harjit Sajjan, JTF2, record kill shot
Old 06-27-2017, 09:12 PM

Thumbs up

Force at impact would be around 1150ft/s for a 750gr projectile, around 88 moa. or 623ft above the target!!!! No matter what one hell of a shot,love to know how many shots it took to take the target out...??

Why not get closer to the target to ensure the shot, its that far they might have just called for an drone/artiliary strike.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg733 View Post
Force at impact would be around 1150ft/s for a 750gr projectile, around 88 moa. or 623ft above the target!!!! No matter what one hell of a shot,love to know how many shots it took to take the target out...??

Why not get closer to the target to ensure the shot, its that far they might have just called for an drone/artiliary strike.
Huh...drone/artillery attack...we would send Ken in to take care of this...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The fact is that shots like that would be impossible to predict with earlier equipment like the the C3A1 with Unertl scope or the M82 and older ranging systems regardless of the shooter behind them
Cat
The fact is shots like that are still unpredictable! Just like the thousand yard moose goosers.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Well I guess it had to happen. Someone made a shot I could never make. Glad I lived to see it.

Very impressed with Trudeau's congratulatory speech to this fine marksman and the Canadian military in general.

Anyone seen anything from the Minister of National Defense on this event?

Embarrassing really.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-01-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
The fact is shots like that are still unpredictable! Just like the thousand yard moose goosers.
Not unpredictable at all - just dismissed by those who know othing about
actually sniper systems and sniper programs and long distance shooting
Cat
Old 07-01-2017, 11:01 PM

We use to do #1 open action on a 105mm howitzer and hit targets out to 3km away with second or third rd.

My gun crews record was 2nd rd target hit at 2.5km. Was a direct pass through.
The next trgt was trgt rd right into fire for effect.

Ya the right guys behind the gun, the proper knowledge of their weapon and all things involved with shooting and I see no problem why it is not possible for these snipers to engage targets out to this distance. Not every team will be able to do this and not every time will this be done. But it is doable and it may not be a fluke. It may actually be knowing your equipment and the correct conditions for the correct application.
Good shooting on this teams watch.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not unpredictable at all - just dismissed by those who know othing about
actually sniper systems and sniper programs and long distance shooting
Cat
The only thing that may be predictable is that the shooter hit the target he was shooting at. Even that is debateable.

But you think the shot is predictable, so give us your odds of the shot being made. It looks like you are the one who knows nothing about the realities of the shot and conveniently dismissed them.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Banned

General Dynamics specs are 756gr

Armour Piercing Incendiary (API)
The 12.7 x 99 mm (.50 Cal) Sniper Elite® Armour Piercing Incendiary (API) cartridge is designed to be used with sniper rifles. The non-toxic bullet is the same as that in the AP version, except that a pyrotechnic charge is inserted into the nose to generate an incendiary effect upon target impact. Match accuracy is achieved through the optimization of case and bullet geometries as well as tightly controlling tolerances of all components during fabrication. The cartridge case is optimized for effortless extraction out of tight sniper weapon chambers. The Sniper Elite® API cartridge has the same trajectory as the other Sniper Elite® cartridges produced by GD-OTS Canada.
Bullet Weight: ~49g.(~756 grains)
Recoil: ~25 joules
Dispersion: Mean radius at 1,000 less than 0.85 MOA (minute of angle)
Penetration: Defeats multi-plate array targets out to 800m
Waterproof.

Advantages
Low recoil, noise and muzzle flash
Extremely low cartridge case extraction force
Bright flash upon target impact with Sniper Elite® TPS Ball cartridges, allowing clear identification of the impact area
Sniper Elite® API cartridges will defeat strategic targets at long ranges (22 mm armor plate at 400 m)
The seamless transition from the Sniper Elite® Ball to AP allows economical training with Ball, while maintaining operational readiness with AP
Non-toxic bullets eliminate environmental soil contamination
Sniper Elite® Ball and AP Projectiles available in 4 Configurations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkrW7ifkHI
Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg733 View Post

3 clicks ,,, And still delivered 2205 ft pounds of energy ,,,

Last edited by lilsundance; 07-02-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
The only thing that may be predictable is that the shooter hit the target he was shooting at. Even that is debateable.

But you think the shot is predictable, so give us your odds of the shot being made. It looks like you are the one who knows nothing about the realities of the shot and conveniently dismissed them.
Instead of flapping your ignorant gums on the internet maybe you could get yourself to an actual long range match at Homestead ,keep your yap shut and your eyes and ears open.
In spite of yourself you may just learn something you had no idea about .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-02-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Instead of flapping your ignorant gums on the internet maybe you could get yourself to an actual long range match at Homestead ,keep your yap shut and your eyes and ears open.
In spite of yourself you may just learn something you had no idea about .
Cat
My you are a bit touchy! I asked you what are the odds????

If an event is predictable then there are odds it will or will not occur. You made the statement not me.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Banned

Old 07-03-2017, 01:34 AM

There is no doubt in my mind with what they have in todays gear for long range shooting that this shot was done ,I have few friends that have now retired from the military and one was a sniper and the stuff we talk about is out dated now and it was good gear ,now with the new tech they have I am sure it can be done.

These guys do this for a living,there not your average guy that heads out to the range when he has the time,they do it everyday rain or shine,windy or not,they train for one thing and that is to be the best the best can be.We should all be proud and not even question there abilities ,there is no reason a guy that does this for a living would want to lie about something like this.There integrity means a lot and there willing to die for it.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Look up "Mark and Sam after work" on youtube and you can see that long range shooting even in the wind is very predictable. But there is math involved, so if thats too much for some people to involve in their shooting, they should stick to their known distances.

The hardest part of hitting an enemy soldier at 3.5km would be that it would require about a 0.5 moa gun. Bigger groups even held perfectly for all the calculations would land beside and not on.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Look up "Mark and Sam after work" on youtube and you can see that long range shooting even in the wind is very predictable. But there is math involved, so if thats too much for some people to involve in their shooting, they should stick to their known distances.

The hardest part of hitting an enemy soldier at 3.5km would be that it would require about a 0.5 moa gun. Bigger groups even held perfectly for all the calculations would land beside and not on.
I'm familiar with sniping and long range shooting and have been a follower [not a participant] for years. Even have an autographed copy of Hathcocks book.

Half moa extreme range rifles are a dime a dozen. The wind over 100 m is not predictable let alone three and a half km. The simple fact is there are too many variables beyond control which cannot be quantified to make a shot like this "predictable".

What do you think the odds are of making it? I can't even imagine.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I'm familiar with sniping and long range shooting and have been a follower [not a participant] for years. Even have an autographed copy of Hathcocks book.

Half moa extreme range rifles are a dime a dozen. The wind over 100 m is not predictable let alone three and a half km. The simple fact is there are too many variables beyond control which cannot be quantified to make a shot like this "predictable".

Better than the odds of you letting this go.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

Considering that the standard a U.S. Army sniper must meet is a 90% first hit at 600yds...I'd say pretty damn predictable.
At this distance (3km) that of course is going to drop...but I'd bet that a first class sniper is going to think he has a pretty good chance to make the hit within a couple of shots.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:

You can't figure your wind at a 100 meters,what comic book are you reading that's the problem with doing it and reading about it.I do both with very little problem,i don't tell what I can do cause it doesn't mean much to most,but believe me you plow jockey I can get it done.

These guy's in our military are the real deal and if you ever sat and was able to soak in what they told you instead of thinking you know what's happening you may just change your thought pattern,i don't know you as much as you don't know these men and women that go out there and train to keep our country free,and the last thing I would do is question there skills,i have to much respect in me and for them to cross that line.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
We use to do #1 open action on a 105mm howitzer and hit targets out to 3km away with second or third rd.

My gun crews record was 2nd rd target hit at 2.5km. Was a direct pass through.
The next trgt was trgt rd right into fire for effect.

Ya the right guys behind the gun, the proper knowledge of their weapon and all things involved with shooting and I see no problem why it is not possible for these snipers to engage targets out to this distance. Not every team will be able to do this and not every time will this be done. But it is doable and it may not be a fluke. It may actually be knowing your equipment and the correct conditions for the correct application.
Good shooting on this teams watch.
Wind drift much of a problem with a 105mm howitzer? (just joshing you bud, I had to throw that in.....)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone