Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM

Default Zero moving in a gun boot?

Has anyone ever had their zero move from storing their gun in a kolpin gun boot while going over rough trails?

I had a look at one today and the padded sleeve that comes with it seems like the gun would still rattle around alot. Has anyone had problems with the gun holding zero?
I have to mount the rack fairly vertical, so the gun will be resting on the end of the barrel for the most part.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 PM

I have seen scope tubes bent, because the scope bottomed out in the gun boot before the muzzle did. The scope was holding the entire weight of the rifle, and taking all of the impact.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:12 AM

Happened to me in my Polaris gun boot last September. Had to fab up some couch cushion foam for better hold in
Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 PM

I am assuming you are using the boot on a quad. Last year was the last time I will ever use a gun boot for a scoped rifle, period! My rifle was so far out to lunch I had to terminate one hunt in particular after a failed attempt to connect on a buck at 200 ish meters, go to the range and re-sight. Now who has time for that BS when you're in full swing of the Whitetail rut. I also dumped the quad and bought a SXS and a "Quick Draw" roof mounted gun rack from UTV Canada and it's rock solid. One of my favorite Whitetail spots is about an 8 km run from the farm then a 1.5 km walk to the blind. It was a real let down when I found out my rifle was out so bye bye gun boot. The only thing I would stick in one of those would be a shot gun or something with iron sights.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

I have a Kolpin boot on my quad. It is mounted to the front rack at a slight downward angle. Mine is lined with synthetic wool from factory. My quad hardly leaves my acreage, except to shoot gophers on neighbouring land and doing yard work. I do go over some rough terrain, but not a brake neck speed. My scopes hold zero quite well. What I have to watch for is that the wool does not get even slightly moist otherwise it causes rust.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM

I have the old style Koplin with hardly any padding, it like putting a rifle in a paint shaker. First and last time I used it a few years ago it shook a Timney trigger loose on a Mauser 98, when I closed the bolt it wouldn't cock. I use my Rem 600 in the bush on the quad it fits across my rack sideways nice and solid.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Kolpin 6.

Used it on farm to transport sako 30-06 as well as Browning 22-250 which has a big 56mm scope bell. No issues with losing zero but "speed" and "rough terrain" are relative terms. If my quad is bouncing I slow down.
I believe there are also different levels of protection in the Kolpin series and mine is the regular 6.0 where the padding is felt and quite thin. I think the "transport" model has the thicker padding and I probably should have spent the money on that slightly more expensive model. I believe the heavier "transport" pad for a Kolpin 6 are available on amazon for more protection for about $32.
I just drive a lot slower on rough areas so it is not rattling in the rack!!
Old 06-05-2017, 03:26 PM

never again... I had an easy 200 yard shot and missed 3 times, my spotter didn't even see where they went. When I got back to camp, I couldn't even hit paper at 25 yards. Now I just use one of those rifle holders that you mount on the front rack... never had a problem since. Although teh rifle is exposed to the elements, I would rather wipe it down at the end of the day than resight it in... just my opinion
Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 PM

I beat the crap out of a scope years ago in a old style Kolpin.
I now use a extra thick soft sided scope case and bungee it lying horizontal with scope side straight up behind the quads two-up seat.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:35 PM

I use one but ditched the factory liner in place of a soft gun case, snugs things up a lot and now there's around an inch of padding around everything...fit surprisingly well
Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 PM

good thread...need to check a few things with my set up. I have a Koplin Transport 6.0, it comes with a thin gun sleeve, don't think it does much. I have done many miles with my quad and gun boot. Rings are Talley Lightweights no issues that I know of but I think I may make some improvements.

I am kind of surprised with all these issues, thanks for bring them to everyone attention!
Old 06-06-2017, 11:28 PM

i've got one, no issues with scope, and i ride some fairly rough pasture and the odd coulee. I threw a tennis ball in the bottom of the boot so the muzzle rest on it, and haven't had any problems.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:11 AM

My cheap opinion for what it's worth,but gun boots are too rigid and rough on any kind of precision optics to expect accuracy greater then a shotgun bead.
Quadding in or out of hunting area,my rifle is slung with sling on my back and rifle across chest and lap to cushion the bumps,or bungeed down on front rack with liberal amount of cushion underneath.
Shotgun beads and buckhorn sighted lever actions.....giver.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wrap it up in another defence barrier, blanket etc.

They are loose fitting to accommodate a large variety of weapons etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-07-2017, 07:14 AM

I haven't used a newer model, but the older gun boots have a design flaw, in that unless you have a 28-30" or longer barrel, the scope bottoms out in the gun boot before the muzzle. The result is that all the weight rests on the scope, instead of on the barrel, so the scope takes all of the impact, and strain when going over rough terrain.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:22 AM

My Marlin .22 lived in my Kolpin boot. I rode to one of my favorite grouse spots and walked down the trail. Wasted 10 rounds on a bird before I realized my scope had been pushed back off the front mount. I only carry shotguns in the boot now.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Have never had this problem with zero moving but thinking about what you all posted I think I might just have been far more lucky than good. I am going to use a few of the things I learned here, gold balls to make case right depth, and cutting down a soft sided case to go inside, to improve my Koplin gun case. Glad I read this before I ever ran into a problem, thanks for posting it.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Thumbs up

On another note these gun boots are good for transporting other items too like fishing rods.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
On another note these gun boots are good for transporting other items too like fishing rods.
When I carry my fishing rod in a gun boot over rough terrain I seem to cast to left of where I'm aiming
Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
When I carry my fishing rod in a gun boot over rough terrain I seem to cast to left of where I'm aiming
Always dial it in on a target prior to targeting fish

Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Always dial it in on a target prior to targeting fish
Do you know of a range that allows this type of practice?