Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Default Last trip. Saturday The 20'th Mcmillan, Utikuma Report.

Started out at Mcmillan Driving on at about 9:30. There was a few people ou theres. so we went half way up the east side and set up up. Jigging for perch.started a little. but then, Bang Bang Bang. 3 Keeper Pike Landed. in just under the first hour. Then the perch started to bite. But you couldnt keep them on the hook too small. I Went to a small wireworm. They were able to take into there mouths. All Really small perch. But Consistant biting.
We slowly start drilling holes closer in to shore. The shallower the water. the bigger the perch were getting. Finally we have tapped into a good supply of perch on the larger side being caught. (not Snipe Size) but still good size. We could have easilly limited out. but we ended up keeping 20 or so. it slowed down again at about 2 o'clock. odd big p[erch being caught. odd pike. Alotho all the smallish perch in the deeper water could still be caught consistantly on the wire worm.
We Left at 4 For some Utikuma Walleye.
Got on at Km 86 at about 5:30 - 6. Went further up- to the right of the island. Dropped down the walleye rig's, Start Slow. Really slow. 1 Pike on Ice for the first Hour and a half, Then the first walleye was pulled. Followed by 3 Burbot and another pike. Slowed a bit. and then another walleye. and 2 more burb's, A Bit larger. another walleye. and Pike For the next hour. The Wind Picked up And it was Cold. i pulled up one last Burb. Ending with 6 Burbs, 3 Keeper Eye's And 7 or 8 Pike.
Slow For a day on utikuma In My Experience.
But a good day of fishing none the less.

Ice
Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 AM

how do you drive on at mcmillan? i have been there a few times and the large dip befor u hit the lake is pretty bad to go over i wouldn't even try it. i thtink there is some access at the east side but i have not been able to find it. help