Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-19-2022, 08:02 PM

Default Mechanical vs fixed

Debut of the Day...
fixed or mechanical broad heads. I recently read an article stating basically stating if you have a long draw length and heavy draw weight, mechanical broad heads are the way to go.

thoughts opinions?
Old 07-19-2022, 08:07 PM

Shot mechanicals for one year and shot a deer and moose. The deer was a pass through at roughly 20 yards and the blood trail was pretty insane, the moose however was right at 34, broke a blade on the way in and didn’t penetrate fully with next to no blood. We did find him but it took a while. Switched to iron wills the year after that and I won’t be going back to a mechanical. Some guys love them but I’d prefer a 2 blade fixed with bleeders and I draw 30” 70lbs
Old 07-19-2022, 08:35 PM

so many variables.

what game, what kind of hunt (spot and stalk vs blind), speed out of the bow, bow tuned or not.

I think if you are serious about bowhunting there is no reason to not use a fixed blade. If you dont have the time then mechanicals may be for you.

Mechanicals arent any more accurate than fixed out of a properly setup rig, but typically have a larger cutting diameter. They also might fail to open or break on opening.

I shoot fixed because I want to eliminate the possibility of the mechanical failing.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:52 PM

I've had good results with fixed blade 4-blade Zwickey heads, replaceable fixed blade 3-blade heads and for the past decade mechanical expandables. Presently shoot 3-blade NAP Spitfire 1.5" mechanical heads.....had good blood trails, get excellent arrow flight, and they are adequately tough. Biggest critter with them was a dandy polar bear. Also have arrowed an elk, 6 black bears, a couple Coues bucks plus a Dall ram and a couple caribou with the Spitfires.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:11 PM

I just shoot a fixed 3 blade, it’s done the trick in 20+ deer and the only time I used a mechanical I had a failure of a blade to open. I won’t give them another chance, if it was a bigger animal it may have gone poorly. I shoot a 70 lb 32 inch draw.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:35 PM

If you have some time and enjoy podcasts listen to this one. It’s quite interesting.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQIAxAH&ep=6