Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM

Default First Time Advice Needed

Hello, I am planing to get into archery this summer. Hopefully I am confident enough with my shooting to head out hunting this fall as well.

I haven't picked up a bow with any serious intention of shooting since I was young shooting a little Brave bow (probably 10-13 years old). Had a ton of fun and have been wanting to get back into it for quite some time.

I'm looking for some experienced opinions on a few things. Best way to get into the sport? I don't have a ton of expendable cash on hand these days. Would Buying used be advisable (if so what types and price should I be looking for)? Are the "Ready to hunt" packages worth the money?

What type of bow would suit my needs? I have little interest in traditional or re-curve bows. I'm not looking to get into target shooting. Wingspan measure method tells me i have a 29.5" draw. I would like something that will last me for 5 or 6 years at least before wanting an upgrade. Plan is to have something that I can practice with often and will serve me well hunting for deer (maybe a moose one day) here in Alberta.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:54 PM

Start by going into a proshop, take some lessons and try some bows out. I recommend Jim-Bows either Calgary or Edmonton.

LC
Old 03-05-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Start by going into a proshop, take some lessons and try some bows out. I recommend Jim-Bows either Calgary or Edmonton.

LC
I assume it will be better advice than 90% of what I get at the Cabelas and Wholesale sports gun counter? They have ruined much of my confidence at getting advice in stores.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:

LC
This. ^^^^

I also would recommend Lost Arrow in Wainwright and Accurate Archery at Alberta Beach.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-05-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
I assume it will be better advice than 90% of what I get at the Cabelas and Wholesale sports gun counter? They have ruined much of my confidence at getting advice in stores.
The big boxes will ruin anything. You talk to anyone @ Jimbows in Calgary or Edmonton, you'll walk out with new friends and more good advice then you will ever find in Cabelas, Basspro or WSS together.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:29 PM

I think I will take a trip up to the North end of Edmonton next weekend and ask some questions over at Jimbows. I assume that if I pay the lane/rental fee I am able to try out most anything they have there?

A couple of lessons may be in order as well. I don't want to get myself a nice new bow and derail it a few days later!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I think I will take a trip up to the North end of Edmonton next weekend and ask some questions over at Jimbows. I assume that if I pay the lane/rental fee I am able to try out most anything they have there?

A couple of lessons may be in order as well. I don't want to get myself a nice new bow and derail it a few days later!
Take a lesson first, call ahead of time and book an appointment. You have to crawl before you walk. Once you get a feel for it you will be in a better spot to make a decision.

LC
Old 03-05-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Take a lesson first, call ahead of time and book an appointment. You have to crawl before you walk. Once you get a feel for it you will be in a better spot to make a decision.

LC
I was planing to do a lesson. I just looked and I think you need one in order to use the lanes if you are a new shooter. I had lessons when I was young but I'm fairly sure I don't remember enough of it. Also I am pretty sure they were well watered down due to my age at the time.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:33 PM

Another vote here for Jim Bows, they'll get you set up and headed the right direction.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:

LC
X2....

I personally havent been into to Jim bows but i have heard lots of good things about them... i myself should go and check them out when i am in the city next haha
Old 03-08-2016, 11:01 AM

If you choose used over new (which is fine) make sure you get it set up properly for your yourself from a knowledgeable pro shop, And a lesson is a good idea. Remember, practice, practice and practice.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac56 View Post
If you choose used over new (which is fine) make sure you get it set up properly for your yourself from a knowledgeable pro shop, And a lesson is a good idea. Remember, practice, practice and practice.

Good luck
I'm still toying with the idea of used. Still plan to make my way to Jimbows (seems to be the consensus of the best place in town). The practice part I am looking forward to. I have a spot that I can set up a target and shoot any day of the week so no excuses not to practice. Seems like a nice way to spend a summers evening/afternoon.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I'm still toying with the idea of used. Still plan to make my way to Jimbows (seems to be the consensus of the best place in town). The practice part I am looking forward to. I have a spot that I can set up a target and shoot any day of the week so no excuses not to practice. Seems like a nice way to spend a summers evening/afternoon.
Jim-Bows Edmonton is also selling a few used bows, I would call and find out what they have. Then you know they will be in good shape.

LC
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 PM

Accurate archery has a few used ones as well I think. Give Lawrence a call and see what the has.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:29 PM

If you dont mind an hour drive west of edmonton call lawrence at accurate archery. Great to deal with, and no pressure with lots of bows to try!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Amazing service , expertise, and professionalism at Jim-Bows!! They'll steer you in the right direction and not try and sway you either way like the big box stores. Good Luck.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:10 AM

Jim bows for sure! My go to hunting store. I drive right past (few hundred yards away) cabelas to get there!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:21 PM

I was out of archery for about 15 years, and decided to start into it again last year, so I went to Jim Bows in Edmonton. I was there for about three hours but when I walked out, I had chosen a bow, and Dave had it equipped and tuned for me, and I had it sighted in for the Jim bows range. They have a wide range of bows and equipment that covers many budgets, and Dave and Carson offer great customer service.