Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Question New bow for a 9 year old

Hi guys and gals, I am looking for a compound bow for my nine year old son. We have been playing with the recurve since he was 4 but now I think that the time has come. He will probably need something that he can grow with and defiantly will be using it to hunt. For now coyotes if he is super lucky and rabbits etc. Eventually he will also hunt big game. He is the oldest of 3 boys so it will be passed down through the ranks.
Does anyone have a suggestion on what meets our qualifications? Of course quality and value are important too.
Thank you in advance. 👍
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 AM

Diamond infinate edge has a huge growth range.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

There are quite a few on the market today. Along with the infinite edge there is the Hoyt rucus, Bear cruzer, PSE stinger (I think that's what it's called), and I'm sure Mathews has some as well. I'd just suggest going to a shop and get a feel for what they have.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 AM

Diamond Atomic, Both my boys shoot them 5 and 6 years old. Huge adjustment and draw weight range. They should be good for bows until they are old/big enough to shoot standard bows.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM

I have to get a new bow for my 4.5 year old two the one he was using broke yesterday.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM

pse fever 1. well built bow. no plastic parts on the cams. big range of adjustment for both draw length and weight. . 2 cam settings, go as you grow/ performance.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:50 PM

I bought the bear cruze for my kid . Lots of adjustment. 5-70lbs. And easy to adjust yourself for a longer reach as he grows.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:04 PM

Does he shoot left or right?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:00 PM

x2 on the PSE fever 1... I might have one for sale.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 AM

My 9 yr old girl is shooting the Diamond Atomic. I'm a Hoyt guy but the Atomic was too good of a deal to pass up. It's a great little bow and SO LIGHT. The next step up... the ones that adjust up to 70lbs and 31" draw... they're all in the 4lb range and would be tiresome for 3d shoots I'm sure. I've opted with a bow that i'll have to upgrade again in a few years but i'm sure this will help her get the most enjoyment out of it... afterall, that's what it's all about!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Let the bow pick him...

I have 3 young archers in the house. They have shot The Bear apprentice, bear Cruzer, and Diamond infinite edge. All good how's that were easy to adjust and grow well with kids. The Apprentice is the lightest and best suited for younger kids that can't hold a heavy bow for too long. My kids outgrew it by age 11. The Cruzer is a pretty heavy bow for a younger/smaller kid the infinite edge is in between both come with ok accesories. My 15 year old son shot the Diamond, loves it and I won't have to buy him another bow the next upgrade is in his dime. He is 5'11" and still has draw length room. Personally that is where I'd start, the Diamond and see how it fits and feels it's a bow that will grow with him. That said let him hold every bow in his draw weight and length range I brt the choice gets pretty obvious. It's great there are so many choose CDs for Young archers!

Good luck on your search.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 AM

x2 for the Bear Cruzer. Great adjust-ability and a bow that will grow with him.