Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-15-2023, 03:12 PM

Default Offset fixed blade question

Having read an article on Lancaster Archery about bare shaft spin - it seems my new easton arrows spin counterclockwise (left - because of the string). Have always fletched right with my Bitzenburger.

Quote from Lancaster
"An exception would be if these are hunting arrows, and you are shooting fixed-blade broadheads which have the blades set at an offset - which is almost always a right offset. Fletch to match the blade offset regardless of the results of your bareshaft test so your broadhead and your fletchings can work together to promote arrow spin."

I know the blades are short on my Wasp Drones - but damn they look straight.

My assumption is - If the Drones are straight - is this worth the extra expense of purchasing a left helical for my jig?
Old 01-15-2023, 08:05 PM

The offset they are likely referring to is a two blade broadhead with a single or double bevel would be my guess. You shouldn’t have that issue with the wasp drones. If you are clocking left, personally I would get the left helical jig. Or just straight.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:05 PM

i wonder if this was a single bevel mis-quote from langcaster? could be worth emailing the manufacturer
Old 01-15-2023, 11:52 PM

It is nothing to do really with your broadheads, and more to do with the twist of the string and the helical or offset of your fletching. Almost all factory arrows are fletched with a right helical or a right spin/rotation. The majority of string builder twist their strings to produce a right spin. This way the string and fletching work together.

If you have a right helical and a string that produces a left spin/rotation (or vice versa), then the arrow will start off in a left spin because of the string, and then the fletching will correct the rotation and at some point induce a right spin. This change of rotation will effect the velocity and energy of the arrow.

When you introduce a fixed broadhead to an arrow, then you are actually adding a element of fletching to the front of the arrow which can effect both rotation and planing. That is why bareshaft tuning and ensuring the arrow is coming off the string in a perfectly straight path and in line with the power stroke is so important.

As previously mentioned there are some 2 blade broadheads that are normally used for trad bows that use a slight twist or helical to the blades. But for the vast majority of 2,3, or 4 blade broadhead, the blades are perfectly straight and aligned with the ferrule.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:24 AM

"As previously mentioned there are some 2 blade broadheads that are normally used for trad bows that use a slight twist or helical to the blades."
HUH?
There may have been one or two models created like that back in the day. I don't know of any now. Do you mean right and left hand single bevel?
Old 01-19-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
"As previously mentioned there are some 2 blade broadheads that are normally used for trad bows that use a slight twist or helical to the blades."
HUH?
There may have been one or two models created like that back in the day. I don't know of any now. Do you mean right and left hand single bevel?
Helical might have been the wrong term, but the angle or bevel of the blade can cause rotation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSShead-pfsm.jpg (30.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-19-2023, 05:53 PM

Gotcha.
That's why the manufacturers recommend right wing feathers w right bevel and left wing w left bevel. I've always used right and right, even when I shot lefty for two years. No difference for me in flight.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:06 AM

Default left helical jig

A few years back I read somewhere that the majority of right-handed bows will naturally spin an arrow counter-clockwise (can't remember where I saw this). This seemed odd to me as pretty much all factory arrows have a right helical. So I checked with a bare shaft and sure enough my bow naturally spins the arrows left (counter clockwise). I also happened to have a left helical for my bitzenburger so I fletched with a left helical. Since then, I've played around with fletch patterns (3 vs 4) and the amount of helical.

Did it help? Maybe a bit. I noticed the arrows look pretty much dead still in there air, whereas before it looked like they had just a touch of wobble on release. With a right helical, there would be a point where the arrow isn't spinning at all, likely right after release.

Left helical worth it? Those jigs last forever, so I'd say so. Although I probably wouldn't bother buying new broad heads that have a helical. Interesting idea though.