Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Are you saying that there are no human induced earthquakes and as related to oil and gas activities in particular?
If you reread what I wrote it should be fairly clear. The Montney that is the most frac'd formation in the WCSB is about 3,600mtvd. Now is your chance to reply with a link of information you feel is more credible than mine.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
If you reread what I wrote it should be fairly clear. The Montney that is the most frac'd formation in the WCSB is about 3,600mtvd. Now is your chance to reply with a link of information you feel is more credible than mine.
Is this what you are looking for?

Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers

https://www.capp.ca/explore/induced-seismicity/

Quote:
When caused by humans, seismic activity (also called earthquake activity) is known as induced seismicity. Induced seismicity is associated with industrial processes including geothermal energy extraction, mining, dam building, construction, and hydraulic fracturing.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
You are aware that fracking is in the sedimentary rock that is not much deeper than 3600m right? Earthquakes are tectonic plate movements far deeper.

"Using seismological data taken from every continent in the world, the paper finds that continental plates begin between 80 and 120 miles below the surface. In other words, you're closer to the edge of space right now than you are to the bottom of a continental plate."
From where I'm sitting I'm about 3500 m from the continental plate, The Peace River Arch.

Also known as the Precambrian Shield or the "Basement", or the Canadian Shield, possibly 2-3 Billion years old.

I drilled into it near Debolt once and the cuttings turned to pink Granite coming off the shaker, pretty cool actually.

All the "Earthquakes" deeper than 3 KM around here are due to faults in the PRA.

Any shallower than that are Induced Seismic Events brought on by fracking, usually, or aftershocks from an earlier earthquake.

Some may also be brought on by the removal of oil and gas by dropping the reservoir pressure, but typically you would inject produced water to keep from depleting the zone.

Last edited by mac1983; 12-03-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
You are aware that fracking is in the sedimentary rock that is not much deeper than 3600m right? Earthquakes are tectonic plate movements far deeper.

"Using seismological data taken from every continent in the world, the paper finds that continental plates begin between 80 and 120 miles below the surface. In other words, you're closer to the edge of space right now than you are to the bottom of a continental plate."
You seem to be saying that earthquakes only occur in the continental plates.

If that is what you are saying how then do you exlain this most recent earthquake being recorded at a depth of 5 to 10 km?
That is 3 to 6 miles below the surface, not 80 to 120 miles below the surface.

Was it an earthquake or something else?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You seem to be saying that earthquakes only occur in the continental plates.

If that is what you are saying how then do you exlain this most recent earthquake being recorded at a depth of 5 to 10 km?
That is 3 to 6 miles below the surface, not 80 to 120 miles below the surface.

Was it an earthquake or something else?
Obviously an underground nuclear test by the Canadian military.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-03-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
From where I'm sitting I'm about 3500 m from the continental plate, The Peace River Arch.

Also known as the Precambrian Shield or the "Basement", or the Canadian Shield, possibly 2-3 Billion years old.

I drilled into it near Debolt once and the cuttings turned to pink Granite coming off the shaker, pretty cool actually.

All the "Earthquakes" deeper than 3 KM around here are due to faults in the PRA.

Any shallower than that are Induced Seismic Events brought on by fracking, usually, or aftershocks from an earlier earthquake.

Some may also be brought on by the removal of oil and gas by dropping the reservoir pressure, but typically you would inject produced water to keep from depleting the zone.
Interesting, I was always under the assumption the PRA was a crater. All of the drilling we have done up there was up in the bluesky which is just under 700mtvd and just above seal level. What you seen coming across the shaker was likely the basement called the granite wash. Hard as hell to drill into in my experience. That is the last formation of sedimentary rock if I recall correctly. The funny thing is up north the blue sky is like beach sand and drills like a house on fire, get further south and its cemented and tends to trash bits.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I was always under the assumption the PRA was a crater. All of the drilling we have done up there was up in the bluesky which is just under 700mtvd and just above seal level. What you seen coming across the shaker was likely the basement called the granite wash. Hard as hell to drill into in my experience. That is the last formation of sedimentary rock if I recall correctly. The funny thing is up north the blue sky is like beach sand and drills like a house on fire, get further south and its cemented and tends to trash bits.
I believe at one time it was a crater, Peace River Embayment.

This area has moved up and down, hense the faults causing the tremors.

The Granite Wash would be like the beach sand around an island, the PRA.

The Granite Wash is highly productive in some areas.

For those so inclined: https://ags.aer.ca/atlas-the-western...ace-river-arch

A contour map showing the highs of the Peace River Arch

https://static.ags.aer.ca/files/imag...nt/fg28_05.jpg
Old 12-03-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Interesting stuff, thanks Mac!
Old 12-03-2022, 11:09 AM

Bergerboy, very interesting Alberta Earthquakes did not exist for few 1000's years. Then major fracking at Rocky, then Fox Creek and now Peace River/ Monteny. I guess 'Ring of Fire' around Pacific Ocean deceided to migrate from Alaska/BC coast to Alberta prairie now like a pack of wolves.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I asked you a simple question because pretty clearly you stated that the earthquakes are the results of movement of tectonic plates and then quoted some paper indicating that the continental plates are at least 80-120 miles below the surface:

Quote:

Not sure what link you want, but the continental plates aren’t the only cause for earthquakes? Not sure what you are trying to prove or disprove.

Quote:

Thanks for the link, Mac. I will take a read.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I asked you a simple question because pretty clearly you stated that the earthquakes are the results of movement of tectonic plates and then quoted some paper indicating that the continental plates are at least 80-120 miles below the surface:

Not sure what link you want, but the continental plates aren’t the only cause for earthquakes? Not sure what you are trying to prove or disprove.

Thanks for the link, Mac. I will take a read.
My answer is yes.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:50 PM

^ Geologists clearly disagree.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:54 PM

Looks like they've found a culprit for this one: Obsidian Energy

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-...ents-1.6326799
Old 03-24-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Don’t make stuff up. Wells in the area have a TVD of 700m. Doubt a frac at that depth is causing a quake 10km below surface. Half length of the frac wouldn’t be more than a couple hundred meters if that.
Well my sarcastic joke might not have been to far off based on that report.