Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Whisker Biscuit?

How do you find this arrow rest?

I have a plain ol golden eagle rest with the two pins and rubber nosing type deal.

I hate when im walking i have to hold my arrow so i was thinking of getting one of these.

However i do hear they ruin the fletching on your arrows?

Any feedback would be great

SteveY

PS: Thanks Mods
Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 PM

I am far from being an archery equipment expert, but I do have the whisker biscuit and am happy with it.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM
bubbasno1

I am in the same boat as Duk far from an expert. I have used nothing but the buscuit since I started bow hunting and I love it for the exact reason you stated. No chance of it falling off. I did notice however the fletching starts to what I call wave a little after a few hundred shots.

Bubba
Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 AM

Stevie, get one. I lose/bust arrows way sooner than the bristles warp my fletching. For me, it's been super accurate. Just lube it or whatever to make it quieter. Good luck man.

Tree
Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 AM

Had one!!!!! Junk!!!! Sorry.. Now i have a RipCord..Best rest i have ever had..
Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 AM

If you really really really care about not holding your arrow you have a couple options:

1 - biscuit
2 - adjust/bend your arrow rest to just 'squeeze' your arrow. This won't be as duarable as the biscuit.

I had a biscuit for 5 years, only reason I move to a drop away because the biscuit is too loud when you draw (spooked a couple deer). I replaced more fletching due to tight groupings than biscuit wear in that 5 years so unless you are shooting 40 arrows / day / 365 days / year then it should not be a problem.

Biscuit was great for accuracy and durability as well. Rain and cold affected it a bit but nothing to really worry about.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:01 AM

You should check out the hostage rest by Bowtech, its like a wb but it has spaces for the fletching to go though.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 AM

I too use the WB and love it, but it is hard on the fletchings as the others said. After a hundred or so shots, the arrow flight starts to suffer because of the damaged flights.
I considered changing over but I dont want to deal with anything in the woods so am keeping the wb.
What i did was buy a fletcher though. So now i can practice all summer and then put on new fletching before the season and tune in those arrows.

Quote "only reason I move to a drop away because the biscuit is too loud when you draw (spooked a couple deer)."
I had the same problem as well. especially when it was cold. I heard there is a way you can rub cotton batton on the tops of the wb to have a little cushion and may try that this year.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 AM

I tried all the "home fixes" for queit draws on the WB but none worked which included armour all, wd40, melting the tips.

I modified my WB by cutting some of the wiskers with an exacto knife where the fletchings pass. Like I said above, I never replaced fletching solely due to WB in the 5 years I used it.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Don't waste your time with a hostage, unless you have a slow bow or buy a lot of replacement bristles. I'm looking at something else and I only have about 150-200 arrows passed it.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
Don't waste your time with a hostage, unless you have a slow bow or buy a lot of replacement bristles. I'm looking at something else and I only have about 150-200 arrows passed it.
APA safari Twister it is a containment and a drop away at the same time one of the best ones out there really easy to set up and tune and you should prob gain some speed with it compared to the biscquit
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Default rest

I shot the Whisker Biscuit for 5 or 6 years. I found it was really hard on fletching if you didn't add glue to them. I used to put a dab of fletchtight on either end of each fletch. That seemed to solve the problem. Was a great rest, but I much prefer the drop-away rests now. I found my arrow speed increased and my groups tightened up when I switched.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Default Vital Gear

I have a Vital Gear Kaz Away 07 on my new Guardian and so far I really like although I have not field tested it yet. Check out their website at http://www.vitalgear.net. There are 2 clamps that hold the arrow when at rest and when you draw back, they open up. Another decent rest is the APA Ultimate Safari drop away / containment.

I have never used the Whisker, but have not heard much bad about them either. Simple is sometimes best.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM

I like that vital gear one, let us know if the arrow ever gets 'stuck'
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM

if you whnt to try a whisker biscuit i have a left hand one you can have
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Have used the Whisper for years and would recomend it. Only problem is noise when drawing, so we PICK OUR TIME TO DRAW very carefully or DRAW EARLY!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

i like it, if i shot alot of target i'd go back to a drop away(i liked my trophy taker too)...but for a 'hunting' rig then they rule

i watched the guy from hunting canada and beyond (i think thats what its called) try to kill a nice whitetail in sask but his drop away broke something on the draw and he had to shoot a small buck at the end of the hunt with a gun...the one he couldn't shoot with the bow was nice...i laughed to myself...leave the target stuff at home for hunting you want tough, simple, durable....there is no rest that will be perfect but the whisker bisquit for HUNTING is as perfect as you can get imo

i had my arrow come up beside my trophy taker (1st time of course) while drawing on a mid 140 whitetail in 04...scrreeeeech...let down and danged if he didn't stick around for a second draw attempt and i closed the deal.....friggin rest almost cost me my best whitetail with a bow...went to whisker bisquit after that and not going back....love it for walking/hunting...pushes etc. also....and in treestand...yup its downside are a bit noisier on the draw than you can make some drop aways but hasn't been a problem for me and more than happy to live with it...and yup an extra drop of glue on the lead of the fletch helps....big deal.....totally worth it imo
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM

I fully agree with Cletus regarding the Hostage Rest. I am about 200 shots with it and it has worn bristles. I'm leaning toward the Trophy Taker Drop-away line.. I've read good things, my brother just bought one but hasn't used it yet.
As for the Whisker Biscuit.. Here is a link for slow motion video of an arrow passing through the WB. Make your own assessments, It has been a part of a lot of kills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTizMtvKwI
Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 AM

I know a few guys who have switched from the standard rest to the whisker biscuit and said it damaged fletching.....

(SOMETIMES)The reason is, the knocks on your arrows need to be turned 180 degrees...

On a normal rest, your odd color fletching points straight down to pass through the fingers....

On a whisker biscuit, there are stiffer bristles on the bottom for the arrow to rest on...the rest of the bristles are softer....your odd color fletch needs to stick straight up so all the fletching passes through the soft bristles and not through the hard ones on the bottom.....

If you go to have arrows done up at a shop...tell them your shooting a whisker...also check your arrows at home....

It seems most of us novice shooters (including myself) go with the whisker to stay with the KISS rule....but miss out on this little detail.....

I have noticed on my older arrows that a wave has developed in the fletching.....even though everything is set up properly...but those arrows have probably been through the bow at least 250 times just practicing, I don't use those specific arrows for hunting....
Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Blazer vanes only way to fly guys. The whisker doesn't wave them...and they are the best anyhow.

Either go zero contact(drop away) or full contact(whisker bisquit)...the video looks like it helped control that arrow pretty good....would love to see same with drop away.

If i was to do a drop away it would probably be a trophy taker again...but i just can't do it. Same reason my peep has a rubber band on it...its hunting...the less to go wrong at the critical moment(which is when it always goes wrong) the higher your chance of success and in bowhunting you need to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

I run some pretty top end gear but the peep and the whisker bisquit look out of place on my stuff(maybe a bit cheap?)....oh well....i aint tradin em.

Its probably the number one 'hunting' rest....probably has been for ages and probable will continue to be for ages too........reason for that.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Whisker biscuit

I use a Carolina Archery Products whisker biscuit, absolutley no complaints with it. Whiskers hold up well and no damage or waving of the fletchings so far, been using it for a year now.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 AM

If you use the link I provided and look to the right you will see "related videos".. in that section there are slow motion videos of a drop away and a prong style rest, as well as other video.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 AM

I have used the launcher style rests in the past , thought they were great until the day I drew back on a slob of a buck and due to the angle at which I drew ,my arrow fell off, causing that horrible sound no bow hunter wants to ever hear, from that day on I have shot the WB, I could be hanging from my safety belt and still get a shot off
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 AM

Going into my second season of bow hunting i too use a whisker biscuit and as mentioned it is very easy to set up for shots. haha known from practicing on targets as i have not connected with an animal yet. I am looking forward too next season and of course looking at modifying the set up. Most of the guys i know use the rip cord fall away rests... i was told they improve speed and accuracy..
Old 02-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Banned

the vids don't tell me anything?, well nothing about how they work in the field because you can't beat the bisquit...i mean come on...who doesn't love the ole whisker bisquit eh?

its gonna take alot more than that to make me think about a change on the rest for hunting...i love that i don't even question or think about my rest at all anymore...not even a thought....its just a feeling now...love
Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 AM

The Biscuit is a great hunting rest....a very easy to use rest, good accuracy, bomb proof....my only complaint is its a touch loud, but not horrible...

I run a QAD Ultra Rest....my first dropaway and I love it. Still gives me good arrow containment when I'm stalking or sitting, but shoots nice a quiet and touch faster than my biscuit...

Overall cant go wrong with a biscuit though.....thats for sure.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 AM

In my opinion, The wisker buscuit is great for hunting. I've put plenty of arrows through mine and have had no problems. Just remember cock feather up. Remember though, this is a hunting rest and after the season, take it off. If your sitting in a treestand all the time or a ground blind, not neccessary, but if you do any stalking, Well worth having. I've had one for 3 years now and only this last year did I replace the buscuit section. As for the arrow flight, minimal effect on the arrow. I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance and again have had no problems with this rest in anyway. As for those putting 100's of arrows through it, You are either missing alot and should just practice more, or you should leave the range and go hunting....

Last edited by Albertabowhunter; 02-20-2008 at 03:00 AM.