Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Default Getting started with archery

Hi guys!
I would like to get started with archery. However, I don't have the funds to buy a compound. Once the company I work for gets more work (I know that there will be quite a bit of work this summer, in spite of the economy) I will definitely look for a better bow, but here is the question. Is there any way to get a cheap bow to practice with, get the hang of archery, and build up the right muscles to draw a bow with? I understand you get what you pay for, but would a used recurve or longbow be a good thing just to practice with? Or would that not be a good idea? My budget would be around $100 for the bow, and whatever it would take for the arrows.
Anyways, I've explained the situation (hopefully) and I'm open to ideas.
P.S. I did look at the buy and sell, but I did't find anything.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Old 04-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Not sure where you are located but you would be wise to go to a local archery shop and rent a bow and lane time until you can afford to buy a bow. You can rent either a compound or a trad bow. This will help you decide what type of bow you will buy once you can.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 PM

Thanks for replying!
I live at least an hour and a half from the nearest archery shop, so that is not really an option. I just got a bonus from work, though, so I will be able to start looking for a legitimate hunting bow. Thanks for the advise!
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 AM

Why don't you tell us where you're from so we can refer you to a shop that might be willing to help you out?! Glad to have you aboard!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MawnteyCarlo View Post
Why don't you tell us where you're from so we can refer you to a shop that might be willing to help you out?! Glad to have you aboard!
I'd suggest looking for decent used bow...compound preferably if that's the way you want to go.
At $100 your not going to get much used. Recurves cost what good entry level compounds do...and longbows are more than either recurves or compounds.
Trust me...we started out with the cheap China Tire bows a few years ago...nearly gave up altogether they were so frustrating.
A couple of years ago picked an Bear Odesyee with case and 1/2 dozen arrows for $150...a $400 value.
Used or rent...that's the way to go.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM

Don't underestimate the traditional bows. A RC or Longbow is certainly a suitable choice for hunting. And it doesn't need to be a heavy weight draw.
The need for a 40# bow in the regulations was decided years ago based on the current bows of the time. Todays bows have even better performance than those in use when the law was made.
Price wise you can get a good shooting new LB or RC from around $200 and up .

For $100 you will be hard pressed to find something good in Traditional bows. A used Samick Sage brings more than that. Traditional bows hold their value very well.