Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 02:50 PM

Default Type of release

I’m wondering what you guys are using for hunting?

I use a wrist strap index finger trigger release.

It seems there are four major options.

Wrist Strap Trigger Release

Handheld Thumb

Handheld Tension

Handheld Hinge

I’m not unhappy with my wrist strap. I have been using it for 5 years but I do find it cumbersome to tuck into a sleeve when in a tree or when still hunting. I think it would be easier to keep hands warm and still be ready with a handheld but don’t actually have any experience with one.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:09 PM

I use a Tru ball max hunter thumb release. I found it more natural to push with your thumb than pull back with your thumb at full draw. I like not having to have a release attached to my wrist while walking.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:10 AM

Wrist strap trigger. Scott Shark

Reason being, I can time a close range shot. Any tension or hinge style slows down the shot. I need to be able to hit a 3 inch target between trees at 10 yards in less then 2 seconds. I don’t care about 3D scores at 80 yards. Just like 3 foot offset stabilizers…some target things don’t translate well to hunting. You will see guys modify their hunting strategy and losing out on opportunities to accommodate their “confidence” target bow setup. Pretty bass ackwards thinking.

You can’t leave a release on the string when you are walking, so you’d have to carry it in your pocket anyway. Far slower when those unforeseen opportunities arise.

Hand cold - use gloves or hand warmer.

All that being said, I had to try a bunch before i went back to the shark. A lot of bowhunting is very individual, and we are always looking for another little edge. If you decide to try different releases, set it up as a simulation. Shoot from a stand at a 3D, put the target between trees, shoot from different positions, time yourself etc.

There’s nothing worse for hunting success than shooting countless arrows, while standing upright with perfect form, counting millimeters on a paper bullseye.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:25 AM

I sure do like the Winn release, you relax your fingers and it fires.
It’s cumbersome though and doesn’t fit into my mitts, so I always have to use a custom made mitt. For fast shots or if you’re suffering target panic it’s pretty user friendly.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will have to give it a bit more thought. For me the trigger on a rifle is the most important part, even though all of my shots are well within 100 yards. I was thinking I should maybe try something different with my bow and it seemed that handheld have the reputation for being a bit more accurate.

I might have to just go to the bow shop and try a few out. I always practice from different positions and even though a bit of extra work, I will sometimes shoot out of my saddle.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I’m wondering what you guys are using for hunting?

I use a wrist strap index finger trigger release.

It seems there are four major options.

Wrist Strap Trigger Release

Handheld Thumb

Handheld Tension

Handheld Hinge

I’m not unhappy with my wrist strap. I have been using it for 5 years but I do find it cumbersome to tuck into a sleeve when in a tree or when still hunting. I think it would be easier to keep hands warm and still be ready with a handheld but don’t actually have any experience with one.
You've already got the release, there are several ways to use it in conjunction with a back tension technique (although I've never had luck with them)

Doesn't need to be tucked into a sleeve and shouldn't be as it's extra movement to get it out of the sleeve if/when an animal approaches. Not going to do any harm if it's folded back outside of your sleeve, while your hand is in your pocket.

I've got a wrist strap release and the ONLY time it's at all cumbersome is when I'm switching hands while carrying the bow. I have to move it around the 6" stabilizer on the front of the bow to carry it in my release hand but that takes all of 1/2 second, and there's never an animal around while I'm carrying the bow in my release hand anyway.

J.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:21 PM

Im using a Stan Onnex thumb release.. but shoot it like a hinge
Old 04-07-2023, 08:48 PM

Another option, fingers. Never forgot them in the truck.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:03 PM

I use the wrist release. I tend to loose stuff so if it's tied to my wrist I am less likely to set it down and lose it.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:35 PM
Banned

Talking

Custom 1.75 lb Trigger Tech Single Stage

Old 04-10-2023, 06:09 AM

The only bowhunting I do is still hunting for mule deer. A deer could pop up anywhere at any time so I need my release always ready. I find a wrist strap works best for that scenario.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:40 AM

I use a wrist strap for everything, target/3D/hunting because sometimes in the field because of wind or other factors there is no time for a “surprise” release. Sometimes you need a controlled on demand release. A wrist strap can be used in this fashion, even if you choose a back tension activation.

I would guess about 80-90% maybe even more of the shots I have taken in the field are off my knees… so I practice that often.

LC
Old 04-11-2023, 09:56 AM

It’s good feedback. Like I said I have a wrist strap release, it’s a Fletcher .44, entry level release. One thing I like about an index finger release is that it whether I end up hunting with a bow or rifle the practice seems relevant.

Typically I throw my release on the moment I leave the truck, if it’s an evening hunt I am probably still hunting the last 500-1000m into the stand. I do find it a bit cumbersome when switching carrying hand, digging stuff out of my bag and setting up a saddle. But maybe that’s just the way it is. I also thought handheld might be nicer for using gloves or keeping your hand in a pocket to keep warm.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
It’s good feedback. Like I said I have a wrist strap release, it’s a Fletcher .44, entry level release. One thing I like about an index finger release is that it whether I end up hunting with a bow or rifle the practice seems relevant.

Typically I throw my release on the moment I leave the truck, if it’s an evening hunt I am probably still hunting the last 500-1000m into the stand. I do find it a bit cumbersome when switching carrying hand, digging stuff out of my bag and setting up a saddle. But maybe that’s just the way it is. I also thought handheld might be nicer for using gloves or keeping your hand in a pocket to keep warm.
Turn your release around on your hand for setting stuff up, I wear my release in a pair of mitts to keep it out of the cold/snow/wet weather and pull my mitt off to hook up and shoot. I never lose it either… always attached to my wrist.

LC
Old 04-24-2023, 11:22 AM

ive been rolling the last couple years with a handheld hinge release. Seems to work well for me and the style of hunting i do!
Old 04-24-2023, 04:47 PM

Ive used a trufire wrist release that has a fold back feature ive used for a few years and am pretty happy with. Keeps it out of the way and not too big of a pain to have on all day.