Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2023, 03:28 PM

Default More Truck Issues

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi.

When we had that cold snap before Christmas my battery got pretty frozen and truck wouldn't start. Finally got it started and checked battery with muti-meter and all looked good. Ended up being my starter. Replaced that.

Recently I did replace the PCV valve myself. Put everything back together and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and no warning lights came on. Been like that for over a month.

Now when I start the truck it starts fine with no dash warning lights. Idles fine. Drive it around for 5 minutes and I get the red lightning bolt come up on the dash. Truck still drives fine. Will go into cruise control no problem. Just stupid light on the dash.

Pulled the throttle body off today and cleaned it good. Put it back in and same thing. Red lightning bolt after about 5 minutes of driving. Truck still runs fine. I have also tried resetting the throttle position sensor multiple times.

I have a small scanner. No codes. Took it to the shop and had it scanned. Said it was something to do with the throttle body. Before I replace the throttle body just seeing if anyone has any other tricks to try? It is an electronic throttle body if that helps.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:43 PM

check the oil pressure sensor.
sounds like the same issue a buddy had and it turned out to be the oil pressure sensor.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:50 PM

Red lightning bolt means check the charging system.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:07 PM

Alternator is going perhaps
Old 02-02-2023, 06:10 PM

I would check the grounds between battery and engine, chassis and cab.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:18 PM

FYI, once you freeze a battery, it can be damaged internally, which can produce issues. You need to check it with a load test, rather than a multimeter.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:38 PM

As others have mentioned, the red lightning bolt indicates a problem with the charging system. Could be a bad alternator, bad belt or tensioner pulley, or a bad battery (shorted cells from freezing).

Get (buy or borrow) a better diagnostic code reader and leave it plugged in while you are driving around. The better ones will display and record all the operating parameters, even ones that do not throw a code. It might help pinpoint the problem.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-02-2023, 07:54 PM

^^Ignore the part about the charging system.
In 2008 the lightning bolt is an indicator for the electronic throttle control. A red battery is the charging system warning light.

Still wouldn't hurt to try a better diagnostic tool to see if the live info. capture helps pinpoint the problem.

https://warninglights.co/cars/dodge/...ontrol-warning

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-02-2023, 08:01 PM

Yeah I was gonna say the red lightning bolt is strictly throttle body related. Charging would be a red battery light. Clean your MAF.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Clean your MAF.
Yes...carefully! You don't want to damage it. And use a proper cleaner...
Old 02-03-2023, 06:18 PM

Heck just go buy a Chevy next time...Kidding Trucks of all types are temperamental beasts in the cold at times.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yes...carefully! You don't want to damage it. And use a proper cleaner...
Yup. I generally will spray with carb cleaner and very carefully use a very thin bottle brush. My bet is a dirty MAF so the TB thinks it's getting unmetered air.