Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2023, 07:16 AM

Municipalities need to vote in their own judges.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Municipalities need to vote in their own judges.
Now this I agree with. Although I see that ending the same way as 'private' municipal enforcement. Justice and enforcement going to the highest bidder.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:44 AM

Maybe GP politicians should have consulted with the city of Surrey as they are going through this transition (City Police replacing RCMP).

Residents there are now looking at a proposed 17.5% property tax increase for the extra costs.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:46 AM

Hope its going to work for GP,

The city of Surrey BC voted to get their own police force, it cost them millions, they couldn't find any members, the city of Surrey was hoping that the RCMP members would just switch over but none did.
The city had an election and now they are back with the RCMP again.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post

The city of Surrey BC voted to get their own police force, it cost them millions, they couldn't find any members, the city of Surrey was hoping that the RCMP members would just switch over but none did.
Ouch that gotta hurt the old pocket book big time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-08-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
A local force can't affect the revolving door lawyer/judge/system shortcomings........but, a local, dedicated, focused Police force could make it uncomfortable enough some, not all, of the bad eggs would head to greener pastures
I think this is one of the aspects of the change that would have the most merit. Something has to happen there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Maybe GP politicians should have consulted with the city of Surrey as they are going through this transition (City Police replacing RCMP).

Residents there are now looking at a proposed 17.5% property tax increase for the extra costs.
In this case, I have the feeling that the province of Alberta has a vested interest in making this a successful transition.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I would suggest the demographics of GP are much closer to Medicine Hat than Surrey. That will have a lot to do with attracting talent

Yes it will be more expensive. Some things are worth paying for.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I would suggest the demographics of GP are much closer to Medicine Hat than Surrey. That will have a lot to do with attracting talent

Yes it will be more expensive. Some things are worth paying for.
Exactly! Having a police force responsible to the city, instead of to brass in another province makes more sense to me than spending the money on bike lanes, or abstract art.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:

You can't compare GP to Surrey. Anything that the NDP have a finger in its going to be disaster and we all know southern BC is strong NDP.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
The high river gun grab is not as forgotten as the rcmp think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Nor forgiven.

This needs to be remembered! Always!
Old 03-08-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

Thin Blue Line best friends with Chicken Little.

Check with Camrose or the Hat for a success story near you.

Like the 101st, the RCMP are beyond repair. Their ardent supporters living in 1875 are doing the force more harm than good. True dat.....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-08-2023, 03:30 PM

As long as the city police does not do there recruitment the same as the RCMP.
The RCMP has long recruited bad cops, its true, aragent, entitled dicks, and then train them to be worse.
Then only put them in a area for a few years and move along.
A local force, where the police live and work for many years has a better chance of doing good for the community.
Not saying it will, but at least they are not governed by Ottawa. And thats a huge win.
RCMP has out lived its usefulness, and should be restructured into a look alike of the FBI, cross boarder crime, federal crime, and such.
Hire and elect local cops, hire and elect local judges.
And there would be a huge change.
Make large steps both provincially and locally to do with the justice department, and maybe we would see a drop in crime. The revolving door of criminals is not the RCMP issue, it is a court system problem.
The issues with the RCMP are many, but its hard to say that local crime is caused by the RCMP. Our system of justice is at heart the problem.
I well believe that it will cost more than they say it will, as is everything that a government weather local or provincial or federal has a hand in.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:

If they switched over they would lose all hope of getting transfered out. Not many want to stay in Surrey very long.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:18 PM

I think that the city of GP is going to learn that recruiting, training and retention of qualified people is way more difficult and expensive than they expect. I wouldn't be surprised if the annual compensation of an officer in GP is double that of an officer with similar tenure in MH or Lethbridge.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-08-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I think that the city of GP is going to learn that recruiting, training and retention of qualified people is way more difficult and expensive than they expect. I wouldn't be surprised if the annual compensation of an officer in GP is double that of an officer with similar tenure in MH or Lethbridge.
I am pretty sure Lethbridge is number 1 and Medicine Hat is 2nd for highest paid force... Not sure why anyone would use Medicine Hat's finest as a model they would like to see in their home town....
Old 03-08-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
As long as the city police does not do there recruitment the same as the RCMP.
The RCMP has long recruited bad cops, its true, aragent, entitled dicks, and then train them to be worse.
Then only put them in a area for a few years and move along.
A local force, where the police live and work for many years has a better chance of doing good for the community.
Not saying it will, but at least they are not governed by Ottawa. And thats a huge win.
RCMP has out lived its usefulness, and should be restructured into a look alike of the FBI, cross boarder crime, federal crime, and such.
Hire and elect local cops, hire and elect local judges.
And there would be a huge change.
Make large steps both provincially and locally to do with the justice department, and maybe we would see a drop in crime. The revolving door of criminals is not the RCMP issue, it is a court system problem.
The issues with the RCMP are many, but its hard to say that local crime is caused by the RCMP. Our system of justice is at heart the problem.
I well believe that it will cost more than they say it will, as is everything that a government weather local or provincial or federal has a hand in.
You are kind of contradicting yourself here my friend...

On one hand, you say they hire "low quality, arrogant, and poorly trained people".

On the other hand, you say they should "restructure", whatever that means, into a "look alike" FBI. Well, the FBI, nor RCMP specialized sections bring in "entitled dicks", as you referred. All are extremely well trained for the job.

Those comments coming from a Rocky resident somewhat surprises the hell out of me. You should know how extremely busy this detachment is, for obvious reasons that I'm sure you are very well aware of, or choose to ignore.

As to the other negative comments, in which some are totally irrelevant to this thread, yet again, duly noted.

As always, I respect all your opinions...
Old 03-08-2023, 08:07 PM

A lot of saboteurs in Surrey. The decision to get rid of the rcmp was made by the voters. The rcmp union put on a full court press along with the ndp government. Surrey didn't have a plan that could work. It's not over.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
A lot of saboteurs in Surrey. The decision to get rid of the rcmp was made by the voters. The rcmp union put on a full court press along with the ndp government. Surrey didn't have a plan that could work. It's not over.
Would they do that?? lol. How can the RC supporters justify a union justifying itself ?? Guys I believe think straight on most stuff............

Old 03-09-2023, 08:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All I know is anything that is federal government or provincial works until a catastrophic failure then its a knee jerk reaction to repair.
Has been that way since the dawn of time

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-09-2023, 09:50 AM

Interesting post on the subject;

Keith RedlGrande Prairie Alberta
Keith Redl · 1d ·
I was asked to post my presentation from last night. Remove it if not appropriate.
My name is Keith Redl, I retired as a Police Officer after 32 years of service. I had postings in 4 different Provinces and 11 different communities. Those postings included Sgt. in charge of Valleyview Detachment and S/Sgt. in charge of Drumheller Detachment. While in Drumheller I became a Master Instructor for Public and Police Officer Safety Training. From Drumheller I became a District Advisory NCO, supervising and mentoring 9 Detachment Commanders. I then received my Queens Commission to be the Officer in Charge of Fort St John Det. where I was a member of the BC Association of Chiefs of Police and a senior manager for the city’s management team attending all council meetings. From Fort St John I then went to our Headquarters in Ottawa, where I was the senior manager of the RCMP’s Evaluation Unit. I travelled from coast to coast conducting and overseeing evaluations of RCMP programs, policies and procedures. This included an evaluation of the transition from Moncton City Police to the Codiak RCMP Det. From there I finished my career in charge of operations for the Prince George Detachment. Just for Council’s clarification, there is a significant difference between an Alberta Peace Officer, Alberta Sherriff, and a Police Officer at a City or Rural detachment.
Although I take issue with large portions of the Police Transition Report and Police Service Model Review, I will only touch on a few.
First, your or your committee’s perception of community engagement. I think you have seen from the numerous emails you have all received, the citizens of Grande Prairie, including myself, do not feel you have done anything close to proper community engagement or consultation. From what I see in the provincial media, neither does the media.
Your report summarized what little engagement you did do by stating “the current police are viewed as positive”, so, rather than making the minor improvements that were suggested, you are going to go against what the citizens of Grande Prairie want and start a Municipal Police Service.
Second is the environmental scan.
The report shows Grande Prairies Crime Severity Index is one of the highest and the incident rate is the highest in the province. Your proposed police service will have less police officers to respond to crime but try to justify that by augmenting them with Alberta Peace Officers who will deal with minor offences, yet the CSI shows we have more serious crimes.
The environmental scan completely ignored the fact that Grande Prairie is part of a much bigger picture of travelling criminals. Grande Prairie is part of for lack of a better term “a crime corridor” between Prince George, Fort St John and Grande Prairie. There are a significant number of criminals and gang members traveling between these cities stealing, controlling the drug trade and committing violent crimes that largely go unreported. I personally had a large trailer with over $20,000 in tools stolen. The trailer was found empty near Dawson Creek. A Grande Prairie Municipal Police service will be operating in a silo rather than having a free flow of information between the detachments on this corridor.
Third;
4. Current State
The city, by its own choice, in previous years has ignored their opportunity to form a Police Advisory Board but has finally done so recently. Council did have the choice to form a Policing Committee but chose not to. Oversite or governance, which seems to be highlighted more than once in the report, seems to be an issue now but until the report was written, wasn’t. Had oversight been a real concern an Advisory Board or Policing Committee would have been established a long time ago. New legislation however will require you to form a Policing Committee which has oversight. This is essentially the same as a Police Commission for a Municipal Police service. The Policing Committee should satisfy the majority of councils concerns without the enormous cost of forming a police service.
Next is the staffing of your proposed municipal police service;
4.3 Staffing
Currently there are 104 police officers, 44 being general duty Constables. The General Duty Constables are the ones patrolling the streets and answering calls. Despite having one of the highest crime and violent crime rates and crime severity index, you propose to reduce the number of total Police Officers to 100 and reduce the number of general duty Constables by almost 30 % to 32 with an increase in supervisory positions. The need to transition from one RCMP Superintendent and one Inspector to a Chief, two Superintendents, (one civilian equivalent) and three Inspectors ( one civilian equivalent) really highlights the additional administrative tasks that will need to be taken on at a very high cost, that are currently provided at no additional cost by the RCMP as part of the municipal contract. I strongly question the decision to move from the RCMP’s current system that has four watches of 11 Constables, to four watches of 8 Constables. Currently the RCMP’s risk assessment has determined that 7 Constables on duty at a time is a minimum to safely provide an adequate and safe policing service to the citizens of Grande Prairie. Should circumstances drop the number of Constables on duty below 7, one is called in on overtime to maintain that level. The proposed watches of 8 Constables mean a best case scenario of the municipal police service is only one member more than the worst case scenario under the current RCMP Detachment.
One severe miscalculation that people with a lack of experience or expertise in Policing communities makes is not taking into consideration annual leave, training, sick leave and parental leave. Police officers will get between 4 and 5 weeks holidays annually depending on length of service. That means from vacation alone, your 32 General Duty Constable positions will be vacant 144 weeks each year, or nearly three full positions. Each watch will have two Cpls, a Sgt, and S/Sgt. Whenever one of these ranks goes on leave someone below bumps up in an acting position. These ranks tend to have more service so 5 weeks holiday each. That’s another 20 weeks each watch will be short a Cst. It’s also been identified that a Grande Prairie municipal police service would have it’s own emergency response team made up of officers within the service. Teams are 10 to 12 members and, if they are trained to the same level as the RCMP, need to train 40 hours each month. Even if you only take one member from each watch, and the rest of the team is comprised of members from the support units, that is another 12 weeks per year where each watch will be short a member. Essentially each watch of 8 will be down to 5 or 6 Constables at best pretty much every day of the year. This doesn’t even include any long-term parental leave, sick leave or any training. The members won’t be safe and neither will our community.
You state you will use EPS salaries. A senior Cst with EPS makes $115,825. a senior Cst with the RCMP makes $106,576. Less the 10% the feds pay brings it down to $95,919. That’s $2 million per year higher cost for a city force for Cst’s alone. Include benefits, overtime, equipment, training, police vehicles, administration and the huge increase in supervisor positions you propose, and it will be closer to $5 or $6 million per year more and that is just for the Police Officers not all the other staff you plan on increasing.
Recruiting will be a near impossibility. Alberta has announced they will be hiring 245 new Sheriffs, BC has announced it will be hiring 250 more RCMP as the Province knows the benefits of the RCMP and remains their Provincial Police Service of choice. Surrey Police Service is the highest paid police service in Canada. They are hiring and have been for a year and a half and still are only about 1/3 staffed. Victoria City police are hiring and offering a $20,000 signing bonus and it is arguably the nicest City in Canada. I doubt very much you will have any RCMP members switch over. You will have a police service with no police except senior management made up of members waiting to retire.
In my professional opinion, drawing on a great deal of experience policing in Canada and the Peace Country in particular, you are being influenced by a biased, misleading and some times inaccurate Police Transition Report and Police Service Model Review. The police service as you propose will cost us a great deal more than our current Police Service and it will fail if you keep the Police Model and resources you are proposing.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:50 AM

Well if you put it that way... LOL

There is some very good points in here that appear not to have been considered.
I'm glad I don't live in GP. If I was a criminal in GP, I would likely be happy after reading this opinion...
Old 03-09-2023, 11:10 AM

Somebody actually did his homework. Confirms my suspicions about cost for sure.

But, I just live here.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-09-2023, 11:18 AM

It's not just a matter of cost.

There are communities in this province that have a local police force and they get along just fine. They have local accountability. Think what happened in High River would ever occur in Medicine Hat?
Old 03-09-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
It's not just a matter of cost.

There are communities in this province that have a local police force and they get along just fine. They have local accountability. Think what happened in High River would ever occur in Medicine Hat?
Very curious as the why people think the police force in Medicine Hat is worth a comparison ? This town is the blue haired capital of the province, all our force can accomplish is handing out window tint tickets... It is a training ground for new recruits, you really think this force does not want to bring out their shiny new 275,000 armored police unit to collect weapons of mass destruction if advised to do so ?

Food for thought on how this force handles conflict...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/medicine-...door-1.6053257

Last edited by Sledhead71; 03-09-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:34 AM

The former mayor of Surrey had a personal grudge with the RCMP. He was the one pushing for the formation of a Municipal Police Department. Like Grand Prairie, the residents of Surrey did not vote on the changeover. The former mayor was defeated in a municipal election and now the new mayor and council wish to retain the RCMP. Unfortunately the taxpayers are the ones who have to pay.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:00 PM

No matter if it's RCMP or Municipal police force you are going to have your Police haters, your Police lovers and a whole passle of people in between that really don't give a crap as long as they don't get a ticket for something and have to pay more taxes to cover the cost. Here we have the RCMP and local Peace Officers so basically the best of both worlds EH

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:30 PM

Default 32-40 post

Nothing like "Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" GP better hope they have enough Fish & Wildlife officers to patrol the streets and arrest criminals. What a Gong show coming to that little northern city, time to list your home.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Interesting post on the subject;

Keith RedlGrande Prairie Alberta
Keith Redl · 1d ·
I was asked to post my presentation from last night. Remove it if not appropriate.
My name is Keith Redl, I retired as a Police Officer after 32 years of service. I had postings in 4 different Provinces and 11 different communities. Those postings included Sgt. in charge of Valleyview Detachment and S/Sgt. in charge of Drumheller Detachment. While in Drumheller I became a Master Instructor for Public and Police Officer Safety Training. From Drumheller I became a District Advisory NCO, supervising and mentoring 9 Detachment Commanders. I then received my Queens Commission to be the Officer in Charge of Fort St John Det. where I was a member of the BC Association of Chiefs of Police and a senior manager for the city’s management team attending all council meetings. From Fort St John I then went to our Headquarters in Ottawa, where I was the senior manager of the RCMP’s Evaluation Unit. I travelled from coast to coast conducting and overseeing evaluations of RCMP programs, policies and procedures. This included an evaluation of the transition from Moncton City Police to the Codiak RCMP Det. From there I finished my career in charge of operations for the Prince George Detachment. Just for Council’s clarification, there is a significant difference between an Alberta Peace Officer, Alberta Sherriff, and a Police Officer at a City or Rural detachment.
Although I take issue with large portions of the Police Transition Report and Police Service Model Review, I will only touch on a few.
First, your or your committee’s perception of community engagement. I think you have seen from the numerous emails you have all received, the citizens of Grande Prairie, including myself, do not feel you have done anything close to proper community engagement or consultation. From what I see in the provincial media, neither does the media.
Your report summarized what little engagement you did do by stating “the current police are viewed as positive”, so, rather than making the minor improvements that were suggested, you are going to go against what the citizens of Grande Prairie want and start a Municipal Police Service.
Second is the environmental scan.
The report shows Grande Prairies Crime Severity Index is one of the highest and the incident rate is the highest in the province. Your proposed police service will have less police officers to respond to crime but try to justify that by augmenting them with Alberta Peace Officers who will deal with minor offences, yet the CSI shows we have more serious crimes.
The environmental scan completely ignored the fact that Grande Prairie is part of a much bigger picture of travelling criminals. Grande Prairie is part of for lack of a better term “a crime corridor” between Prince George, Fort St John and Grande Prairie. There are a significant number of criminals and gang members traveling between these cities stealing, controlling the drug trade and committing violent crimes that largely go unreported. I personally had a large trailer with over $20,000 in tools stolen. The trailer was found empty near Dawson Creek. A Grande Prairie Municipal Police service will be operating in a silo rather than having a free flow of information between the detachments on this corridor.
Third;
4. Current State
The city, by its own choice, in previous years has ignored their opportunity to form a Police Advisory Board but has finally done so recently. Council did have the choice to form a Policing Committee but chose not to. Oversite or governance, which seems to be highlighted more than once in the report, seems to be an issue now but until the report was written, wasn’t. Had oversight been a real concern an Advisory Board or Policing Committee would have been established a long time ago. New legislation however will require you to form a Policing Committee which has oversight. This is essentially the same as a Police Commission for a Municipal Police service. The Policing Committee should satisfy the majority of councils concerns without the enormous cost of forming a police service.
Next is the staffing of your proposed municipal police service;
4.3 Staffing
Currently there are 104 police officers, 44 being general duty Constables. The General Duty Constables are the ones patrolling the streets and answering calls. Despite having one of the highest crime and violent crime rates and crime severity index, you propose to reduce the number of total Police Officers to 100 and reduce the number of general duty Constables by almost 30 % to 32 with an increase in supervisory positions. The need to transition from one RCMP Superintendent and one Inspector to a Chief, two Superintendents, (one civilian equivalent) and three Inspectors ( one civilian equivalent) really highlights the additional administrative tasks that will need to be taken on at a very high cost, that are currently provided at no additional cost by the RCMP as part of the municipal contract. I strongly question the decision to move from the RCMP’s current system that has four watches of 11 Constables, to four watches of 8 Constables. Currently the RCMP’s risk assessment has determined that 7 Constables on duty at a time is a minimum to safely provide an adequate and safe policing service to the citizens of Grande Prairie. Should circumstances drop the number of Constables on duty below 7, one is called in on overtime to maintain that level. The proposed watches of 8 Constables mean a best case scenario of the municipal police service is only one member more than the worst case scenario under the current RCMP Detachment.
One severe miscalculation that people with a lack of experience or expertise in Policing communities makes is not taking into consideration annual leave, training, sick leave and parental leave. Police officers will get between 4 and 5 weeks holidays annually depending on length of service. That means from vacation alone, your 32 General Duty Constable positions will be vacant 144 weeks each year, or nearly three full positions. Each watch will have two Cpls, a Sgt, and S/Sgt. Whenever one of these ranks goes on leave someone below bumps up in an acting position. These ranks tend to have more service so 5 weeks holiday each. That’s another 20 weeks each watch will be short a Cst. It’s also been identified that a Grande Prairie municipal police service would have it’s own emergency response team made up of officers within the service. Teams are 10 to 12 members and, if they are trained to the same level as the RCMP, need to train 40 hours each month. Even if you only take one member from each watch, and the rest of the team is comprised of members from the support units, that is another 12 weeks per year where each watch will be short a member. Essentially each watch of 8 will be down to 5 or 6 Constables at best pretty much every day of the year. This doesn’t even include any long-term parental leave, sick leave or any training. The members won’t be safe and neither will our community.
You state you will use EPS salaries. A senior Cst with EPS makes $115,825. a senior Cst with the RCMP makes $106,576. Less the 10% the feds pay brings it down to $95,919. That’s $2 million per year higher cost for a city force for Cst’s alone. Include benefits, overtime, equipment, training, police vehicles, administration and the huge increase in supervisor positions you propose, and it will be closer to $5 or $6 million per year more and that is just for the Police Officers not all the other staff you plan on increasing.
Recruiting will be a near impossibility. Alberta has announced they will be hiring 245 new Sheriffs, BC has announced it will be hiring 250 more RCMP as the Province knows the benefits of the RCMP and remains their Provincial Police Service of choice. Surrey Police Service is the highest paid police service in Canada. They are hiring and have been for a year and a half and still are only about 1/3 staffed. Victoria City police are hiring and offering a $20,000 signing bonus and it is arguably the nicest City in Canada. I doubt very much you will have any RCMP members switch over. You will have a police service with no police except senior management made up of members waiting to retire.
In my professional opinion, drawing on a great deal of experience policing in Canada and the Peace Country in particular, you are being influenced by a biased, misleading and some times inaccurate Police Transition Report and Police Service Model Review. The police service as you propose will cost us a great deal more than our current Police Service and it will fail if you keep the Police Model and resources you are proposing.
Hmmm...I know Keith Reidl, and agree 100% with what he says. He has been there and done it, as a few others here have also, and can relate.

Look people. Some here have brought up some good valid points, positive or negative. Many do not know what the actual logistics involved here, which I fully understand. But please don't make your decisions/assumptions by reading/listening to media stories, or other sources. There is so much more involved here.

Bottom line is this. Many communities in Canada have a pretty good deal going on with the RCMP. Many communities could not afford policing if it wasn't because of that. When it comes to Alberta, a few towns/cities have their own police force. I have no problems with that.

In Alberta, they have a team called ALERT. It is a joint initiative between all Municipal Police Forces(including EPS, CPS and others, RCMP, and Alberta Sheriffs, and other Provincial agencies).

They deal with many serious criminals going in and out of different jurisdictions, intelligence, surveillance, etc, etc...

Can a stand alone Municipal Force do that (ie. Taber, Lacombe, Camrose, Grande Prairie, etc)?...unlikely...hence what is called a "partnership", which I fully support.

To conclude, one has to know and understand the overall picture. Should a larger municipality, like Grande Prairie, feel they can do this thing by themselves, good luck. But the general public are not being told of all the facts.

What they(media/local politicians) don't tell you is all the costs that would be associated to any major investigations involving several jurisdictions.

And knowing a little about that Northern corridor, in which I would also include Peace River, would be an ongoing initiative. It is not only about dealing "crimes" within the city limits. Lots more involved here.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:20 PM

Agree Phil. Knowing what I do about the crime here in GP, and how connected it is with northern BC (and also into NWT and Yukon) I have some misgivings about a municipal force being able to deal with it. But, nobody asked me.

I'd be far more interested in a Provincial Police like OPP, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. Time will tell how it goes here. Hopefully it is a positive move in the long run.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-09-2023, 10:10 PM

Officer Redl & the thin blue line.

4 provinces, 11 detachments, 12 moves counting the final relocation to about anywhere you wish........Joe Q public know that one Phil?

FSJ to Ottawa 12-15Grand relocation costs??? More than that counting the 2 weeks paid to find an Ottawa home. A move less than every 3 years, that adds 5G annually to your RC. See what fair math does??And, while you're happily house hunting, every shift you have scheduled, next in line steps up, then a front line guy steps up, leaving the force short. Whoops, to say nothing of the costs. LMAO

When you mention annual leave, training, sick days, parental leave, etc, you don't once mention the relocation absenteeism by the RCMP????

While in Moncton, you rent, buy, or fly in fly out?? Which detachment did you bill that to??

With this coast to coast travel, were you able to affect change to prevent Mayerthorpe, Moncton, Portapique ? Maybe head off High River, Slave Lake??

Ahhh, the costs you're forgetting.....

Respectfully, the fact the RCMP or their proxy continually have to justify their existence says it all. 101st

Last edited by roper1; 03-09-2023 at 11:03 PM.