Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 08:22 PM

Default Dodge 2.0L DOHC in-line 4cyl

I see Dodge is putting this engine in some of the new wranglers. Does anyone have any experience with this engine?

My old wrangler has 425,000 on it with the 3.6L pentastar. It’s always been a pig on gas and have had numerous issues. I really don’t like the idea of buying another dodge but I sure like the off road capability of the Jeep Wrangler.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I see Dodge is putting this engine in some of the new wranglers. Does anyone have any experience with this engine?

My old wrangler has 425,000 on it with the 3.6L pentastar. It’s always been a pig on gas and have had numerous issues. I really don’t like the idea of buying another dodge but I sure like the off road capability of the Jeep Wrangler.
I don't have experience with that engine - but from what I have read it gets really good reviews for drivability and economy.

I'm just leary of any new little turbo engine. I'd would lean towards 3.0 Diesel (even though the marginal extra MPG barely justifies the extra cost). Although I don't see it on Jeep Canada's site yet.

Hmmm... And no manual transmission options unless you go with the 3.7? Say it isn't so...
Old 03-21-2023, 09:01 PM

I think they have discontinued the little diesel in the jeeps.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I don't have experience with that engine - but from what I have read it gets really good reviews for drivability and economy.

I'm just leary of any new little turbo engine. I'd would lean towards 3.0 Diesel (even though the marginal extra MPG barely justifies the extra cost). Although I don't see it on Jeep Canada's site yet.

Hmmm... And no manual transmission options unless you go with the 3.7? Say it isn't so...
eco diesel is probably the worst engine ever made , great on fuel , till it blows up. 2.0l is a fiat engine had some weird stuff with the first few , i no longer work for chrysler thank god , so i can't say what happens now. 3.6l had its issues , most are fixed but its still thirsty in a jeep.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:16 PM

Weird, I have that 3.6 in my van and love it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-21-2023, 09:22 PM

My buddy has a Jeep rubicon 4 door with this engine he said it’s good on fuel till it’s under load then it’s thirsty as a v8 . He just took it to the Island and then down through Washington and Montana. He averaged 12 l per 100km. That’s with a roof top rent up top
Old 03-21-2023, 09:33 PM

I rented a Sahara 4-door last spring for a week when we were in San Francisco, it had the 2.0 turbo in it. Took it down the coast hwy to San Luis Obispo, then looped back on HWY-101. Took it up through Napa and Sonoma as well. No off-roading or towing, but it was pretty peppy and got decent hwy mileage for a Jeep. It did have some turbo lag and a lot of whistle when going up and down the hills on the coast hwy. The lag would probably have been a lot less evident off road in low range. That's my only experience with the I-4 turbo.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
eco diesel is probably the worst engine ever made , great on fuel , till it blows up. 2.0l is a fiat engine had some weird stuff with the first few , i no longer work for chrysler thank god , so i can't say what happens now. 3.6l had its issues , most are fixed but its still thirsty in a jeep.

Hmmm, good to know! Thank you.

Wish we could get those old school diesels again.

I don’t need to win drag races, just need economy and torque.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Weird, I have that 3.6 in my van and love it.
Yes, that is odd. I had the 3.6 in a Chysler 300 and it sipped fuel and not one issue.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:08 PM

A square box driving down the hiway is going to burn extra fuel no matter what you do. May as well just go back to the old 4.0 in-line six. At least it was reliable
Old 03-21-2023, 11:01 PM

I have the 3.6 in my AWD Challenger, and I've had it down to 8.9L/100 with a mix of city and hwy driving. Fantastic engine that after 2014 was pretty much bulletproof. This is also from a guy that had one blow up (chain failure) at 178k in a Journey a few years back. We had another Journey that was older - 2012 - and it was flawless until it was in a bad accident at 200k. Was not too bad on fuel in that vehicle too, but not as good as the Challenger.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:43 AM

Is the Wrangler getting a diesel in Canada? The only decent engine in a jeep was the 4.0 straight 6. I got way better mileage and reliability in those engines. Plus the straight 6 was never under the hood of a wretched mini van lol…. Stuck with the min van engines for now….

Old 03-22-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
A square box driving down the hiway is going to burn extra fuel no matter what you do. May as well just go back to the old 4.0 in-line six. At least it was reliable
^Yep, anything over 100 kph and you're better off to stop 2X as much for fuel. That's why I'm the guy in the right lane, cruise set at 100 kph with my wife yelling at me to speed up

Jeeps are as aerodynamic as a bread box pushed through water is hydrodynamic.....

I've had the 2.5L in a '95 YJ - it would sip fuel at or below 100 kph, but lacked power severely. The 3.6L in my 2015 JKU is better in the power department. I don't own a Jeep for the "peppyness" of the engines.

The only turbo engine I've got experience with is the 5.9L Cummins. I'll take that torque over a small turbo'd engine everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Want more power? Instead of strapping on a turbo onto a small engine, there's no replacement for displacement..... Think 6.1L in a Hellcat...

J.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:24 PM

I won a 95 YJ with the 2.5 in a hospital lottery. I drove it about a 100 miles and traded it off as it could barely make it up small hills on the highway. Currently have the 3.6 in a 2014 Grand Caravan and it consistently makes 8.9/100, just don't like how the tranny shifts.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:27 PM

I’ve also heard the 2.0L has 48 volt batteries and are about $1500 to replace.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I won a 95 YJ with the 2.5 in a hospital lottery. I drove it about a 100 miles and traded it off as it could barely make it up small hills on the highway. Currently have the 3.6 in a 2014 Grand Caravan and it consistently makes 8.9/100, just don't like how the tranny shifts.
I can get an easy 9.5/100 in my van in the summer on the highway at 110. Hate the tranny clunk going into gear from park though. Shifting is fine.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2023, 12:46 PM

I have one in a 4 door, seems good so far a bit better mileage and a bit more torque then the other wrangler options, as others have said the mileage is similar to a 1/2 truck when it’s pulling a load, for me that’s a 18.5 foot boat around 3800 all in. Plenty of power tho