Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Default Bullshead Creel Survey

Got to have a peek at the Finished Creel Survey report, almost 80% support for the current QSF regulations with another 10% looking for C&R. The rest is split between keeping one fish any size, slot limits, regular limits and no comment. A total of 23 trout were harvested which represents about 6.5% of the 50cm. and over trout reported caught.

Looks like a lot of happy campers at the fishery.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 PM

Is this completed survey available to the public yet? Did a quick search and came up short. Link possibly? Thanks.

Dace
Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 PM

I had to go to Fish Culture and ask to see it. Fish Culture is a dept. in the gov. It has not been released to the Gov. web site and I was specifically asked not to post it although I can discuss it. Can get you a name if you pm me.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Got to have a peek at the Finished Creel Survey report, almost 80% support for the current QSF regulations with another 10% looking for C&R. The rest is split between keeping one fish any size, slot limits, regular limits and no comment. A total of 23 trout were harvested which represents about 6.5% of the 50cm. and over trout reported caught.

Looks like a lot of happy campers at the fishery.
thanks for the report...now if those figures are correct,it would seem that they are not meeting there objective of 10%[QLF] must be over 50cm.it will be interesting to see if they take a proactive approach ie c&r[beaver lk].they allowed the %'s to get so low that this c&r had to be implemented..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
thanks for the report...now if those figures are correct,it would seem that they are not meeting there objective of 10%[QLF] must be over 50cm.it will be interesting to see if they take a proactive approach ie c&r[beaver lk].they allowed the %'s to get so low that this c&r had to be implemented..
I don't think I was clear on what I posted, the 6.5 represents the % of fish kept, of those reported caught over the 50cm threshold. In other words 93.5 of the fish that were over 50 cm. were released.

The % of fish caught over 50cm. was 7.5%, which in my mind is a good number given the fishing pressure. I think the largest fish get increasingly difficult to catch, because of, for lack of a better term they get smarter. So I think they are there just not getting caught. They are considering netting to get a larger sampling to see if that is the case. From my discussions I know that the food supply is on their minds. It seems the FW shrimp supply going down, both in numbers and size.

Another option that is being considered is stocking all females for a year and see how they do.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I don't think I was clear on what I posted, the 6.5 represents the % of fish kept, of those reported caught over the 50cm threshold. In other words 93.5 of the fish that were over 50 cm. were released.

The % of fish caught over 50cm. was 7.5%, which in my mind is a good number given the fishing pressure. I think the largest fish get increasingly difficult to catch, because of, for lack of a better term they get smarter. So I think they are there just not getting caught. They are considering netting to get a larger sampling to see if that is the case. From my discussions I know that the food supply is on their minds. It seems the FW shrimp supply going down, both in numbers and size.

Another option that is being considered is stocking all females for a year and see how they do.
thanks for clarifying the fiquires..good news on those numbers of released fish..AF3N'S are the way to go..wild strain fish af3n's would be the ultimate best situation..