Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Winchell Lake / newest aerated lake!

Just saw a post about Winchell Lake newest aerated lake!

Winchell Lake is Northwest of Calgary and is stocked with 6,000 rainbow trout every year.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 PM

Default Danger notices

I have seen lots of notices in the local papers regarding the dangers of going on the ice, and large sections of open water.

The only good time to catch and retain fish for eating on Winchell is in the wintertime. In summer they taste like mud. The entire lake is only about 60 acres. Depths are only a few feet except for along the trench running in the very middle. Locals use the ice surface for skating etc.

Why would they install an aerate system on such a small shallow lake ?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I have seen lots of notices in the local papers regarding the dangers of going on the ice, and large sections of open water.

The only good time to catch and retain fish for eating on Winchell is in the wintertime. In summer they taste like mud. The entire lake is only about 60 acres. Depths are only a few feet except for along the trench running in the very middle. Locals use the ice surface for skating etc.

X2
Old 12-22-2017, 02:04 PM

Here is the link to Aerated Lakes in Alberta and looks like Winchell is on there now.
http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...aerated-lakes/
Old 12-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Probably to maintain oxygen levels so the fish survive through the winter...just guessin'...
Old 12-23-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Lake

I emailed with a biologist from the ACA, and he was kind enough to send a photo of the project. The open water and fenced off area is about four acres in the middle of the lake adjacent to the beaver lodge. This is the deepest part of the lake, generally where we had the best success.

Historically, there were about 6000 fish planted annually and it winter killed around Christmas. We will try it over the holidays and see how it is.

ACA aerates lakes so that we can help create, maintain, and enhance recreational angling opportunities for Albertans by promoting the year-round survival of trout in stocked waterbodies. Ponds that are typically shallow, eutrophic, and experience prolonged ice and snow cover are prone to fish kills. The Aeration Program creates more angling opportunities and a better quality of fish.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:41 AM

pretty little lake with crappy tasting fish
Old 12-23-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I emailed with a biologist from the ACA, and he was kind enough to send a photo of the project. The open water and fenced off area is about four acres in the middle of the lake adjacent to the beaver lodge. This is the deepest part of the lake, generally where we had the best success.

Historically, there were about 6000 fish planted annually and it winter killed around Christmas. We will try it over the holidays and see how it is.

ACA aerates lakes so that we can help create, maintain, and enhance recreational angling opportunities for Albertans by promoting the year-round survival of trout in stocked waterbodies. Ponds that are typically shallow, eutrophic, and experience prolonged ice and snow cover are prone to fish kills. The Aeration Program creates more angling opportunities and a better quality of fish.
What on earth are they using to aerate it to open up 4 acres? Every other aeration system in place I've seen has an area maybe 15x15 feet open.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
What on earth are they using to aerate it to open up 4 acres? Every other aeration system in place I've seen has an area maybe 15x15 feet open.
They must have meant the lake is 4 acres. It's not very big.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
They must have meant the lake is 4 acres. It's not very big.

The area fenced has to be large enough so very safe ice is available under whatever equipment people will haul, drive, push, pull or land on the ice.

Don