Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 AM

Default "Spot" Anyone use them??

I was looking at getting a Spot. Does anyone use one when they are out in the back 40?

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 AM

Smile

No haven't used one. Buy my wife has told me if I keep going out in the boonies on my own then she's going to put one in my pack.

They sound like they would be a great idea.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 AM

Im going to get one and bring it up to Chester with us this weekend and see how it does. Are you still in for that trip?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 AM

Smile

Yes as far as I know. Still game to go.

Rob
Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 AM

What I find confusing about this is that it says you can send an sms or email. How the hell are you supposed to do that without a keyboard?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
What I find confusing about this is that it says you can send an sms or email. How the hell are you supposed to do that without a keyboard?
Its preset on your account to send email/text messages to set numbers but its not personal messages just coordinates.

And I wouldnt leave home without mine.
Great piece of mind for they family to be able to track you an get OK messages. Also good for you to know you can get help if needed.
SG
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Its preset on your account to send email/text messages to set numbers but its not personal messages just coordinates.
Delorme and Spot are coming out with a unit that is a GPS, has full Spot functionality, and you can also send regular text messages via satellite. Should be available this month from Delorme and cost about $800 I think. You pay for regular spot coverage plus you can buy packages for text messages or just pay 50 cents per sent message.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Delorme and Spot are coming out with a unit that is a GPS, has full Spot functionality, and you can also send regular text messages via satellite. Should be available this month from Delorme and cost about $800 I think. You pay for regular spot coverage plus you can buy packages for text messages or just pay 50 cents per sent message.
Ya I think the link I posted on the other thread said $500 but could be wrong and you can get it now on the web site so should be in stores somewhere. Just posted the basic S.P.O.T as thats what most people have.
SG
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM

It is a great idea.

Edit: I found them at bestbuy for $169. Not bad I guess for peace of mind.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

i have one been good for me and works good. i Use it when i am back country sledding,fishing in central america and in sask.The gf can go on line and see where i sent the mssg from.I makes her feel good.Witch in turn makes me feel good later wink wink.Good Inv. for sure.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehunter View Post
The gf can go on line and see where i sent the mssg from.
I'm thinking of getting one and just strapping it to my ankle....
Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM

The wife said $99 a year is too much for my safety
Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 PM

In the past few years I have come face to face with a few black bear , a grizz and a cougar. Anyone of the chance crossing of paths could have resulted in a bad outcome. Not to mention something as simple as rolling you ankle a few miles back in the bush can make for a real bad day. The security it will give my wife is a big plus and as we all know the happier they are the happier we are.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 AM

I have Spot roadside assist on mine for $30/yr. It came in handy last week when my truck broke down towing a holiday trailer 5km south of Lake Louise. They sent a tow truck from Banff which loaded the truck on the deck and towed the trailer back to Banff. They even dropped my trailer off in the campground. There was no charge as they allow up to 80km. It's a good thing because a new clutch was $2k.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM

I just picked one up last night. It'll be good peace of mind for the family when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Default Find Me Spot

Their website have some short vids on the operation of the unit The messages are Preinstalled to your account. OK message, "haing a great time, wish you were here. After the first year I opped out of the TRACKING feature, Not like a GPS, it sends only every 10min's. you can press the OK button a lot of times to save $49.00 dollars.

I do not leave home with out mine, had it for three years.

Bruce.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB RANGER 007 View Post
Their website have some short vids on the operation of the unit The messages are Preinstalled to your account. OK message, "haing a great time, wish you were here. After the first year I opped out of the TRACKING feature, Not like a GPS, it sends only every 10min's. you can press the OK button a lot of times to save $49.00 dollars.

I do not leave home with out mine, had it for three years.

Bruce.
Does the every ten minute tracking feature work if the device is in your pack (or your jacket), or do you have to have it out and exposed to the sky all the time?

Did you find the coverage and signal good around here, kananaskis, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Does the every ten minute tracking feature work if the device is in your pack (or your jacket), or do you have to have it out and exposed to the sky all the time?

Thanks.
I tried it quadding and found the tracking worked poorly. Does not work at all in your pack. Would send about 25% of them on a landyard hanging from my neck. I suspect it would be better with a RAM mount on your hat.lol

The check in has worked 99.99 percent of the time. I usually have mine in the window of the pickup or I set it out in the open and leave it stationary for the 20 minute cycle.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB RANGER 007 View Post
After the first year I opped out of the TRACKING feature, Not like a GPS, it sends only every 10min's. you can press the OK button a lot of times to save $49.00 dollars.
I have the tracking feature on my for one reason... that one time something happens and im unable to push the buttons to give my location. I figure its pretty cheap to have if im out of commision out there. Sure maybe its not 100% but its alot better than nothing. If I take a tumble sheep hunting at least there is a chance they could find me and get me help or worst case scenario some closer for the family. With out it most places I go would be next to impossible to find a person without it.
Ill still pay the 4 dollars a month for that.

Mine is attatched to the top of my pack at all times, or sits on the dash of the truck . Never had an issue yet with it missing messages.
SG
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Yeah, I use it for work alone thingy. Works great.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Default Find Me Spot

Quote:

Thanks.
My number 3 son, 46+years old uses mine when he goes CANOEING, He has made 2 trips this year into the Banff, Tunnel MTN area, the ghost hwy 40, highway 93, Jasper, back to Edmonton, The first trip in June we received 24 OK messeges, I asked him to send lots, and the second trip, July, just got back Sunday, we received 12 OK messages, he was in the Yha Tinda area for the long week end, less OK messages. So I would say if you have a good clear view of the sky, you will send your messages. OK, Need Help, and the 911 Messages. I have also had it North of Ft.Mc twice with out any problems

Bruce.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM

In preparing for the fall, I finally pick up one of the SPOT II's last week. Haven't had it 'out' yet. But, have sent a bunch of messages from places that it shouldn't have worked. 10-20 minutes and my wife has gotten a text and email every time. I'm impressed, so far.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Spot

Do not have one, but planning to pick one up before the Fall. Probably won't get the subscription service right away, but the base price makes it cheap insurance and peace of mind for the family. Particularly since I prefer to hunt alone and frequently cannot get cell service once I get into the bigger coulees along the SSR.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
The wife said $99 a year is too much for my safety
Hmm. Maybe she's taken out a big life insurance policy on you? Of course, payouts are seriously delayed (seven years) without a body.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
In preparing for the fall, I finally pick up one of the SPOT II's last week. Haven't had it 'out' yet. But, have sent a bunch of messages from places that it shouldn't have worked. 10-20 minutes and my wife has gotten a text and email every time. I'm impressed, so far.
It really is a simple "peace of mind", piece of safety equipment.
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Default Find me spot

My being a little short of computer skills, I have to do this my way.
I have been going to this home page for some time now and I think you all will enjoy. The pictures are great. Their last trip started on 2010-03-27, and they are still on it. They are using the SPOT TRACKING SYSTEM. (see how it works). Ok here we go. www.billcaid.com scrool down to Four WHEELING AND UNIMOGS, (UNIMOG being a very large truck), look for Year----TRIP,2010 Hog Hunting Trip 201003, start at PART 1---Part 25, Still Travelling. Also look for (New Capacity-Track our current location.)
You can/will get carried away on this home page with all the trips that they have been on and like I said before, the pictures are (LOTS OF THEM) Great.

Bruce.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting one and just strapping it to my ankle....
I don't think that will work.

Here's the user manual:
http://faq.findmespot.com/admin/gate...20User%20Guide

I just picked up one for us, and my dad will be gifted with one before next hunting season.

It needs to be worn in a way where it has an unobstructed view of the sky: the "Spot" logo has to face the sky. So, on the top of a pack or something like that would be the place to put it if you were going to wear it. In a vehicle it needs to be able to "see" through a sun roof or through the windshield. I supposed it could be attached to a dirt bike tank with hook and loop fastener, I'm sure a location could be found for it on an ATV, too.

There is a little bit of hook and loop sewn onto the back of the case. It also has an arm band and a little carabiner.

(Sorry, photos are kind of crummy).

The seemingly finicky nature of the device means in that in event of an ATV roll over, or being knocked unconscious, the user may not be able to put out an S.O.S. I guess the solution would be to have family/friends send a search party to your last known location in the event you're not heard from for a few hours (or once a day . . . whatever is agreed upon).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM

I think I have it all setup. I subscribed to everything, and the total was around $210 USD. I think registration took around 15 minutes. Accuracy (I've got it sitting on one of our patio tables) is ~+/- 1 meter (based on Google Maps' imagery). It does have a clear view of the sky, but the house and trees should interfere a bit with the satellites. I'm pretty impressed.

The SMS messages aren't all making it to their destinations properly. It is some "Email to SMS" error that we're getting on our phones. #1 son's cell does get the SMS messages (Bell), but the Rogers phones aren't receiving them (mine and hubby's phones). The emails are making it through properly.

Nomad . . . did you just press the "Help/Spot Assist" button to get the tow truck? I'm a little confused by the instructions.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post

Nomad . . . did you just press the "Help/Spot Assist" button to get the tow truck? I'm a little confused by the instructions.
Turned it on and pressed "HELP". Both lights were on and flashing together but I wasn't completely sure if that would work so I was in cell range and called the toll free help number. That put me through to the US call centre. Things got a little fustrating there. 45 minutes later they finally put me through to the Canadian call center who then informed me they already had a tow truck on the way based on co-ordinates received from the Spot signal. There was no need to call. So basically all you do is press the HELP button and wait. I think this feature is a great idea for people spending alot of time out of cell service, and for $30/yr alot cheaper than other roadside plans.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:26 AM