Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2022, 01:15 PM

Default Trip Report: First time at Cold Lake

So I made my way up to Cold Lake for the first time this past weekend to try something new, Lake Trout fishing.

Must say, it all went pretty well, I caught plenty fish every session. Didn't take many photos as I was fishing alone the majority of the time. Most of my fish were caught vertical jigging with 4" paddle tails, and tube jigs. I did get some on the troll just to prove I could but not really my cup of tea.

Mostly I was fishing between 60ft and 110ft deep, using sonar to locate fish and bait and then strategically jigging them when they came past. Kept the lure bouncing on the bottom until some good marks came through and then ripped the lure towards surface and watched the screen to see if they chased. Quite fun as it's quite visual fishing even though the fish are way below the boat. If you look through my pictures I took a cool shot of a few fish cruising above the bottom. If you look carefully you will see my lure coming off the bottom and coming past them, you can see the moment a fish peels off and starts chasing the lure and eventually grabs it. That's the general pattern I was using, if they didn't chase it I would just send it straight back down instead of wasting time bringing it all the way to surface. Can get quite exciting as the suspense builds when you see that they're chasing the lure up, just waiting for the rod to get bent over!

Definitely found they were much more likely to bite if I found them actively feeding on a school of baitfish (As one would expect). If they were just cruising empty water I could still catch them, but it would take some more finesse and patience to get a response. Amazing the size of the baitfish schools in that lake.

Overall they're definitely a cool species, that are great fun to catch. Some of the fish sure put up a really good fight on the light tackle which is always fun. The way they dive for the bottom in nice runs, and can really dig in, reminds me of my old friend from South Africa the yellowtail kingfish. Can't imagine what they fight like when they start getting really big, may need to get further north some day and see!

Have to say it's a really beautiful lake and a nice campground, certainly a great weekend and I will definitely be back!

Old 08-03-2022, 03:01 PM

Great post and write up
Thanks
Old 08-03-2022, 04:11 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You figured it out and did really well!
Awesome to see just too bad I was in Manitoba would have definitely took your invitation and got out with you.
Next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-03-2022, 09:58 PM

you are having a great season so far!Its refreshing to see a new face doing so well.I hope all your adventures exceed your expectations.Keep up on all your posts as they are always interesting.Best of luck to you and your family.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:25 AM

good to here the lakers are chasing big time ,heading up soon , hope they stay active .
Old 08-04-2022, 10:54 AM

Well done for first time, you can tell you did your research and came prepared!
Old 08-05-2022, 09:48 AM
AO Sponsor

Dang! I call that a success for sure... Thanks for posting!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-06-2022, 01:13 PM

Such awesome fat, beautifully-marked fish in that lake. I can't wait to head back in December. Congrats on your success.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:58 PM

looks like a wicked trip. lake trout are always so addicting can never get back out chasing them soon enough
Old 08-10-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
looks like a wicked trip. lake trout are always so addicting can never get back out chasing them soon enough
They are addicting for sure. Pound for pound pretty tough to beat as scrappers. For example imho it takes a heck of a pike to match what an average laker can do strength wise.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
They are addicting for sure. Pound for pound pretty tough to beat as scrappers. For example imho it takes a heck of a pike to match what an average laker can do strength wise.
you got that right! nothing beats that suspended mark that grabs your bait and goes right to the bottom!