Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2021, 06:49 AM

I called parks years when this came out they did nothing as far as I know.....I think global news should hear this...
Our local Co's wont do **** either pretty disappointing they just say dont subscribe or watch his videos.....highest paid poacher ever!
Old 02-01-2022, 07:02 PM

Default Justice!

I reported these idiots as soon the videos came out on YouTube to both Report-A-Poacher and Banff's park office. I thought nothing will ever be done but it just took a while. I also emailed Fowler directly for an explanation and he said they got an Alberta licence after they found out they were in Alberta. I responded by saying that they were in a National Park and that lake has 0 limit. His response was: "I am well aware but there is nothing i can do about it now. It was July when we filmed and we followed what we believed to be the regs for the location we were at. Its very disappointing. "

So instead of taking the videos down, he decided to be greedy and got caught.

Quote:
Parks Canada officials say the charges under the Canada National Parks Act are for the illegal catch and retention of Yellowstone Cutthroat trout and other fishing offences, hunting in a park, discharging a firearm in a park, illegal fire, damage/destroying natural objects and use of a drone without a permit.
https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/two-w...cKyjjY2Dilc0uA
Old 02-01-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfred View Post
I reported these idiots as soon the videos came out on YouTube to both Report-A-Poacher and Banff's park office. I thought nothing will ever be done but it just took a while. I also emailed Fowler directly for an explanation and he said they got an Alberta licence after they found out they were in Alberta. I responded by saying that they were in a National Park and that lake has 0 limit. His response was: "I am well aware but there is nothing i can do about it now. It was July when we filmed and we followed what we believed to be the regs for the location we were at. Its very disappointing. "

So instead of taking the videos down, he decided to be greedy and got caught.

https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/two-w...cKyjjY2Dilc0uA
I can't help but suspect he fully knew it was illegal, how could two people plan a trip like that and not be able to figure out the regs? Glad to see it's in the courts, hope the fines are large.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I scoped out the satellite photos with the shows footage including aerial and it is definitely the lake you say it is.

Ya. Definitely not allowed bait there. Also they exceeded their limit assuming they had licences. Set line is also illegal. Illegal to keep fishing after reaching one’s limit. They need a permit to fly drones in the park boundary. Fires are only allowed in designated fire pits when a ban is not in effect. Cutting down of trees is illegal. Building a structure is illegal.

These guys are idiots.

What I am posting has nothing to do with the thread posted only a correction to a statement posted above....so please do not take this as a personal attack as it is not being directed in that way.....

I just had this conversation with a CO while fishing before Xmas when he checked me and I had a limit of stocked trout and I was still fishing. He said the same thing as you have stated that my lines are to be removed and fishing ceased as I have a limit in my possession. He also did not want to accept that my electronic license(phone app) is valid proof of a license. He stated I am supposed to carry a paper version. He said he wasn't going to charge me but next time he would. Next day after re-reading the regs and not finding anything to support his statements I made a phone call to the Provincial Supervisor of CO's for clarification of the regulations the way the CO explained them and the supervisor said his CO was wrong and should not be misinforming anglers of the regulations. He said you may continue to fish catch and release but you may not retain any more of the species for which you have retained a limit, you may not cull fish from the limit you originally retained and replace them with fish you have caught since, you must release any and all fish caught immediately and that you could be charged with wasting fish if any of the fish you release are not in a condition where they will survive after release. He said the regulations only specify how many fish you may retain, not how many you may catch and you in no way have to discontinue fishing upon retaining a limit of any species.
As for the license the electronic version on our phones is 100% acceptable and he said it is a good idea to carry a paper copy should you lose battery power or are in an area with no cel service.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 02-02-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
What I am posting has nothing to do with the thread posted only a correction to a statement posted above....so please do not take this as a personal attack as it is not being directed in that way.....

I just had this conversation with a CO while fishing before Xmas when he checked me and I had a limit of stocked trout and I was still fishing. He said the same thing as you have stated that my lines are to be removed and fishing ceased as I have a limit in my possession. He also did not want to accept that my electronic license(phone app) is valid proof of a license. He stated I am supposed to carry a paper version. He said he wasn't going to charge me but next time he would. Next day after re-reading the regs and not finding anything to support his statements I made a phone call to the Provincial Supervisor of CO's for clarification of the regulations the way the CO explained them and the supervisor said his CO was wrong and should not be misinforming anglers of the regulations. He said you may continue to fish catch and release but you may not retain any more of the species for which you have retained a limit, you may not cull fish from the limit you originally retained and replace them with fish you have caught since, you must immediately release any and all fish caught immediately and that you could be charged with wasting fish if any of the fish you release are not in a condition where they will survive after release. He said the regulations only specify how many fish you may retain, not how many you may catch and you in no way have to discontinue fishing upon retaining a limit of any species.
As for the license the electronic version on our phones is 100% acceptable and he said it is a good idea to carry a paper copy should you lose battery power or are in an area with no cel service.
Frank, you were fishing in Sask where the provincial regulations are completely different from those in Banff National Park. National parks regs actually do prohibit you from continuing to fish once you possess your daily limit. Parks Canada is the only jurisdiction I'm aware of that has this restriction.

National Parks of Canada Fishing Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1120)
11. No person shall
(c) fish in park waters set out in column I of Part II of Schedule III, on any day after having, on that day, caught in those waters and retained a number of fish of the species set out in column II that is

(i) in the case of the park waters set out in items 1 to 25, the aggregate daily catch and possession limit set out in column III, and

(ii) in the case of the park waters set out in item 26, the aggregate possession limit set out in column III.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
Frank, you were fishing in Sask where the provincial regulations are completely different from those in Banff National Park. National parks regs actually do prohibit you from continuing to fish once you possess your daily limit. Parks Canada is the only jurisdiction I'm aware of that has this restriction.

National Parks of Canada Fishing Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1120)
11. No person shall
(c) fish in park waters set out in column I of Part II of Schedule III, on any day after having, on that day, caught in those waters and retained a number of fish of the species set out in column II that is

(i) in the case of the park waters set out in items 1 to 25, the aggregate daily catch and possession limit set out in column III, and

(ii) in the case of the park waters set out in item 26, the aggregate possession limit set out in column III.
That is good to know as the regs for AB read the same as the regs for SK in the Provincial synopsis. Are the Parks Regs Federal or are they a combination of Federal and Provincial?
Old 02-02-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
That is good to know as the regs for AB read the same as the regs for SK in the Provincial synopsis. Are the Parks Regs Federal or are they a combination of Federal and Provincial?
National parks are under their own license and regs separate from provincial
Old 02-02-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
National parks are under their own license and regs separate from provincial
Good to know...thank you.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:52 AM

Wow, just wow. How could a co be so misinformed? BTW was he a older CO? Some of these lifers (CO,cops.any one in authority) tend to think the know everything because of their experience and ignore new training and information given to them. I am sure when the app was introduced he was trained on it but in his mind he know better.

Quote:

I just had this conversation with a CO while fishing before Xmas when he checked me and I had a limit of stocked trout and I was still fishing. He said the same thing as you have stated that my lines are to be removed and fishing ceased as I have a limit in my possession. He also did not want to accept that my electronic license(phone app) is valid proof of a license. He stated I am supposed to carry a paper version. He said he wasn't going to charge me but next time he would. Next day after re-reading the regs and not finding anything to support his statements I made a phone call to the Provincial Supervisor of CO's for clarification of the regulations the way the CO explained them and the supervisor said his CO was wrong and should not be misinforming anglers of the regulations. He said you may continue to fish catch and release but you may not retain any more of the species for which you have retained a limit, you may not cull fish from the limit you originally retained and replace them with fish you have caught since, you must release any and all fish caught immediately and that you could be charged with wasting fish if any of the fish you release are not in a condition where they will survive after release. He said the regulations only specify how many fish you may retain, not how many you may catch and you in no way have to discontinue fishing upon retaining a limit of any species.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:59 AM

Last time I saw a CO, he told me not to bother carrying the paper copy of my license since he could easily look me up on his little debit machine thingy he was carrying. I try to make sure I have it on my in B.C., but in Alberta it goes in the boat or Ranger at the start of the season and stays there regardless of where I am or what I am using.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Wow, just wow. How could a co be so misinformed? BTW was he a older CO? Some of these lifers (CO,cops.any one in authority) tend to think the know everything because of their experience and ignore new training and information given to them. I am sure when the app was introduced he was trained on it but in his mind he know better.
He is one of the two regulars here for years and was training a new replacement showing him the area after his other partner retired last fall. We have two for this area on the SK side and two on the AB side.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 02-02-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:50 PM

Here's a recent article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...anff-1.6336393
Old 02-02-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPete View Post
Wow what a loser. He says it’s the principle that they changed the rules a few years ago and didn’t do enough to inform people. Did he expect them to personally inform him?
It’s “the people’s responsibility” to know the regulations for the waterbody you are fishing. They give you the regulations when you buy appropriate licenses. But they didn’t bother with that either.
Hope they get the maximum penalties
Old 02-02-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
Wow what a loser. He says it’s the principle that they changed the rules a few years ago and didn’t do enough to inform people. Did he expect them to personally inform him?
It’s “the people’s responsibility” to know the regulations for the waterbody you are fishing. They give you the regulations when you buy appropriate licenses. But they didn’t bother with that either.
Hope they get the maximum penalties
Not to mention that cutthroat trout have been catch and release in Banff National Park for as long as I can remember - way before whirling disease was ever an issue, like decades before.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:10 PM

Know many guys like him, probably haven't red the regs for years, they do what they want, always have and generally get away with it for years if they ever get caught and few do. Wouldn't have got caught if they hadn't put it on you tube. They tend to brag about their exploits but whine and plead when they get caught.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:57 PM

Looks like Greg Ovens is back on the next season of Alone.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPete View Post
What an entitled ass.

Parks Canada said it could not comment further, as the matter is before the courts. But Ovens says the fines total up to about $140,000 — and he plans on fighting them.

"I just couldn't believe it, really," Ovens said. "At first I thought, well, this is not necessarily a huge deal, but apparently it's a huge deal."

Try reading regulations.

"We're not denying that we were there doing these things," Ovens said.

"I mean, it's obvious in the videos, but it's just the principle that they don't do anything to let the public know when they change the rules."

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-21-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What an entitled ass.

Parks Canada said it could not comment further, as the matter is before the courts. But Ovens says the fines total up to about $140,000 — and he plans on fighting them.

"I just couldn't believe it, really," Ovens said. "At first I thought, well, this is not necessarily a huge deal, but apparently it's a huge deal."

Try reading regulations.

"We're not denying that we were there doing these things," Ovens said.

"I mean, it's obvious in the videos, but it's just the principle that they don't do anything to let the public know when they change the rules."
Even worse is the fact that he claims they changed the regulations and didn't do enough to let people know. Yes the park went almost all catch and release a few years ago due to whirling disease, but cutthroat have been catch and release in Banff for decades!
Old 07-21-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Looks like Greg Ovens is back on the next season of Alone.
Apparently it was filmed last winter, I wonder how many people's support will be different now that these poaches charges have been laid.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Apparently it was filmed last winter, I wonder how many people's support will be different now that these poaches charges have been laid.
I doubt that 1% of viewers are or will be aware of his activities.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I doubt that 1% of viewers are or will be aware of his activities.
A lot more, if History channel were to include the charges in their opener when the show runs next month.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Delete....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 07-22-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:14 AM

Big fan of the show Alone. So it is very disappointing to see people who are suppose to be example how to respect nature acting like that. What a lame excuse is " they need to inform people better"? Like reading regulations is not your responsibility???
Old 08-06-2022, 09:08 PM

Has this gone through the courts yet?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-06-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
A lot more, if History channel were to include the charges in their opener when the show runs next month.
Wouldn't surprise me if the History Channel people don't know about it.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:33 AM

Well he didn't last long on Alone.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:08 AM

Default Alone

Didn't he only last 6 days?
Maybe the upcoming court appearance was on his mind more than trying to win the challenge.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:03 AM

Not sure anyone will last the 50.Seems like a very harsh barren of wild food location.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Didn't he only last 6 days?
Maybe the upcoming court appearance was on his mind more than trying to win the challenge.
Well I sure hope they give him the maximum fines available. It’s our responsibility as fishermen to know the regs. Did he expect a personal letter to inform him of the changes? What a loser. If they would have bought a license they would have received the regs. Unbelievable. Plus he obviously uses the net to post videos so he should be able to find the regs
Also he was pretty much a whiny little bee with an itch this season. Glad he tapped out.
The 50 days looks pretty difficult in Labrador and I believe they have to last the whole time to get a share of the cash. Last one left only gets paid if they last the 50 days.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:49 PM

$6000... what a joke!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainm...56e58822&ei=10