Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 10:54 PM

Default Fraser River + surrounding area

I have a week off to fish wherever I want and was thinking about hitting the Fraser. After some reading it seems like the mission area in BC is where most of the sturgeon fishing is done. A guy once told me that the tributaries are far better to fish for sturgeon though so maybe I should focus on those? Any sturgeon tips on where to find them? Depth? Dropoff? Eddies?
Are there other species to catch in the Fraser? Everything I've read is just sturgeon apart from salmon runs

I also don't plan on doing 7 days straight for sturgeon and heard there's big carp in southern BC which could be fun. Any lakes and stuff in the Mission area that have large numbers?

Thanks in advance for any info!
PS. I'm open to suggestions about a better place to go for a week (within a 10hr drive of Calgary)
Old 08-08-2022, 11:36 PM

I fished southern bc last year added some new species to the list.
Pumpkinseed sunfish, small and largemouth bass, and was gonna go after carp but ran out of time.
Southern bc is great.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:20 AM

Grew up fishing the area know it very well and the sturgeon

For sturgeon if you have the right gear It is worth it diy but if not hire a guide

What set up are you going to use? Do you have a boat? I do know spots off shore

The fishing in southern BC can be good but the lower mainland is tougher do to the population. Trout, carp, largemouth, crappie, and sunfish I can help with too

Shoot me a PM in a 3 days and I will be off work and more awake. On nightshift right now
Old 08-09-2022, 06:57 PM

Hey, thanks for the responses. I should have been more elaborate. I'll be bringing a boat and probably a canoe, but am not opposed to shore fishing either. I've got sturgeon gear, and will be using a heavy duty Carolina Rig. Minnows or shrimp for bait.

Carp is the main species I'm after as it's new to me. I've checked off sunfish, crappie, kokanee, small/largemouths and they're tons of fun, just wanna add another to the list.

@smoky buck: PM sent