Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

Default holy mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
This is a 29'' Brown from the Bow, caught and released this summer on Canada day.

Holy Crap!

What a beast. Nice fish too!

What'd'ya, dead drift a leg of lamb for that thing?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

I could swear I saw that same boat bombing down the river near Crowchild a few weeks ago....around the time the river was dropping.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
This is a 29'' Brown from the Bow, caught and released this summer on Canada day.

A honest true measurement

Got to love Fatties
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
A honest true measurement

Got to love Fatties

Anyone care to guestimate a weight on that Salmo T?

I'll start the bidding at 7.5lbs...

that said, I've never used a scale in my life.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:

awsome fish, i cant wait to come fish the bow, im dying, next summer for sure
Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
If you actually read his post you'll see that he said one was 27''.

Those fish are both clearly over the 24'' mark. Very clearly.

Assuming the size of a fish from a photo is a foolish endeavor at the best of times.

Either way, they are both large specimens of BR Browns...
It is not foolish, you were asking for monster trout and people are posting pics of average fish claiming to be 27&30", c'mon. I am aware of FH7s age and all, but he should know better, with amount and quality of fish he catches there is no need to exagarrate. It is very easy to figure out a false claim if you've seen fish(BT) of actual size 30"+. i'm not trying to put anyone down, in my books fh7 is a top fisherman and a great addition to this forum.

Just for fun, compare fishermanguys size and his fish which measures "only" 29" and looks to be dwarfing fh7s fish. I've pulled 32" BT out of glenmore and know what i'm talking about.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
It is not foolish, you were asking for monster trout and people are posting pics of average fish claiming to be 27&30", c'mon. I am aware of FH7s age and all, but he should know better, with amount and quality of fish he catches there is no need to exagarrate. It is very easy to figure out a false claim if you've seen fish(BT) of actual size 30"+. i'm not trying to put anyone down, in my books fh7 is a top fisherman and a great addition to this forum.

Just for fun, compare fishermanguys size and his fish which measures "only" 29" and looks to be dwarfing fh7s fish. I've pulled 32" BT out of glenmore and know what i'm talking about.

Cheers

fishermanguys fish does appear to be alot larger. very nice fish!!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 AM

There is an on going thread at FFC about large 30"+ Bow trout, NO ONE has posted proof (pic with tape) of a 30+" trout form the Bow. The general consensus from guides and river rats alike is that the ellusive 30's never get landed when cameras & tape are around..... or they don't exsist. When discussing this bullies aren't part of the discussion because 30+" bullies are fairly common and we're talking trout, not chars.

I have had several tanks to my boat over the last few years but nothing has ever broke the 28 1/2" mark, lots of 24-26" fish this year, but never anything where I would post a pic saying it was 30".

The first guy to have quality pics with a 30" Bow trout with the tape in the pic will become and instant local fish star..... for what ever that's worth
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM

for some reference here are some sizes
this is 24"

this is 25"

this is 26"

this is a 28" rainbow

and a 36" bully.. just for reference NOT FROM THE BOW
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM

i can garentee you those fish are what i say they are...27inches and 30inches.
im 220lbs and play rugby(my jacket dosent do justice for this picture either). besides there was a few people around checking the measurements. BTW those fish are males.i got more pics of them too. these pics has 1 female and the 2 males

Sorry guys bad handling...

Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=Fish Hunter7;1065055]i can garentee you those fish are what i say they are...27inches and 30inches.
im 220lbs and play rugby(my jacket dosent do justice for this picture either).

Now I know your full of fish stories...........
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

I stand by my original assertion that indeed it is foolish to try and eyeball a fishes dimensions from a photo.

Why is it that noone ever flames a poster and tells them that their fish is definitely larger than they claim???? hehe

Beauty pics all round guys.

I suppose then that we are looking at an upper size limit of 30" or so for Bow River trout.

So, who's gonna get a pic with a tape measure first?

I'll put it in writing here and say that the first person to do this will get flamed for how the tape measure is placed etc etc.

Can anyone support the comment that 30" Bullies are common in the Bow? In my limited experience, Bullies themselves are not common in any size class.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 AM

F7, do us a favour measure your middle finger on your left hand, how thick is it at the finger nail. I'll run it through this fancy soft ware I've got and it will calculate how long that fish is in comparison to your finger..... problem solved
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Jayhad didn't say 30+inch bulls are common in the Bow necessarily, but in general I think...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Can anyone support the comment that 30" Bullies are common in the Bow? In my limited experience, Bullies themselves are not common in any size class.
A large portion of the bullies that run up the sheep and highwood are bow river fish, they over winter in the south Bow. 30" bullies are common, (as common as a fish that is listed as endangered can be. we may be playing with scemantics (sp?)), if searching for them you'll stumble across fish that push the ellusive 30" mark. you can search creel and electro-fishing information from SRD.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Heres a thirty inch brown. I know that there is no tape in the pic, but we did measure it. Thirty inch. Not a great photo, sorry boo-birds. Have a look at that kype.

Heres some video of the catch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rrrbbbtg.../1/bZ7x_psRNLw
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM

After fly fishing the bow for close to 40 years I've been lucky enough to hook 2 fish over 28". One skinny one(29") and one huge one (32"). The bigger one I don't have a picture of. I guess that one only counts for me.

I've heard of guys catching browns over 10lb below Carsland back when bait was allowed
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
F7, do us a favour measure your middle finger on your left hand, how thick is it at the finger nail. I'll run it through this fancy soft ware I've got and it will calculate how long that fish is in comparison to your finger..... problem solved
at the nuckle 4inch and 5/8
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM

FH7,

what does playing rugby have to do with catching 30 inch fish out of the bow?? are you one of those guys that wants everyone to know you play rugby so you can see their reaction?? I have known plenty of guys like that, more interested in making sure that everyone thinks they are a tough rugby player... dont bother telling everyone, just play the game and love it for what it is, one of the finest sports that there is....

M
Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default sweet fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
Heres a thirty inch brown. I know that there is no tape in the pic, but we did measure it. Thirty inch. Not a great photo, sorry boo-birds. Have a look at that kype.
wow, nice one! Looks good to me!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
FH7,

what does playing rugby have to do with catching 30 inch fish out of the bow?? are you one of those guys that wants everyone to know you play rugby so you can see their reaction?? I have known plenty of guys like that, more interested in making sure that everyone thinks they are a tough rugby player... dont bother telling everyone, just play the game and love it for what it is, one of the finest sports that there is....

M

Thanks for your thoughtful contribution. You've made this thread a better place.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Default oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
at the nuckle 4inch and 5/8
How many fathoms is that?

Are you telling him what I think you're telling him? cause that would be hilarious.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
After fly fishing the bow for close to 40 years I've been lucky enough to hook 2 fish over 28". One skinny one(29") and one huge one (32"). The bigger one I don't have a picture of. I guess that one only counts for me.

I've heard of guys catching browns over 10lb below Carsland back when bait was allowed
Another beauty! Kinda looks like a lake run post spawn fish.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
How many fathoms is that?

Are you telling him what I think you're telling him? cause that would be hilarious.
width is 1inch and 1mm.
sorry
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
FH7,

M
no im more built....
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Banned

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

I don't think there is a pic there where the fish is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the lens barrel.

I just keep picturing LH7 with a measuring tape beside his middle finger, with the caption, "It's this long".
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
no im more built....
Ignore the haters, that is a huge brown man, i have yet to catch one.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
width is 1inch and 1mm.
sorry
Hahahahahaha no offence there fh7, but if the width of your finger is over an inch on the tape measure then I get where you are coming up with 30" fish...... You had better get a new tape
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

Default haha

Quote:
width is 1inch and 1mm.
sorry
Haha, dude, I think you measured wrong, it's only 1/2" (hint hint, nudge nudge).

Love the combination of imperial and metric BTW.

You guys are a riot.

Fishing...... SERIOUS #%$@*#$@ BUSINESS!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Hahahahahaha no offence there fh7, but if the width of your finger is over an inch on the tape measure then I get where you are coming up with 30" fish...... You had better get a new tape
alright what exactly are you asking?
its a Lufkin 8ft W928