Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Second Annual Childrens Ice Fishing Day

First off....Thank you to everyone for all your help last year

This year its Feb 23rd at Chain Lakes.
Non competitive event for the invited children from specific clubs.
Catch and Release trout. Retention of suckers as supervised by SRD.
Food and Bevvies supplied for all.
Participation prizes for ALL the children.

Thanks Everyone

FISH STRONG
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Right on!! Not sure if I will be able to volunteer on that day, but I will definitely be contributing!!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM

I will be donating 10% of sales from today until January 2013. We are a brand new online store so it may not be very much, but i think that it is important for the kids to have these mentors to teach them the enjoyment of the outdoors when they wouldnt normally have the chance. So, if you need some fishing gear or a christmas present for someone else and want to support this event, then check us out.
www.albertaoutdoorsports.com

Thanks to everyone involved, especially Chubb!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 PM

me for sure and likely the missus as well. looking forward to it!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM

Count me in again for this year. Last year was great!

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Thank you everyone. alot of offers of goods coming in via pm's. some very vital components to the events success. I will let them post their offers incase they want to remain anonomous.

as we sit our volunteer list is near full, we have a couple larger groups of people commited to attend. Thanks to the calgary strike force police dept and to my daughter.

1 idea we are discussing in the directors discussion is the possibilty of getting hoodies for the children. Some kids were not dressed properly last year. Which is NO ones fault.

Would the public be interested in sponsoring a child by buying them a fishing hoody? Shimano, Rapala etc etc. If we buy medium or large sizes they can go over whatever the chikd is wearing. Yes the company logo ones arent cheap but they will make a nice take home gift for the kids.

The other option is I contact the tackle companies to see if we can get a break on costs and collect money....something im not totally keen on as it makes people question my doings.

This may also limit the amount of what they will donate if they are supplying hoodies at a discount, which is why we asked about the volunteer prize table.

I feel very strongly that the childs comfort is of high priority
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Im in for a hoody, I think thats another great idea.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM

I might suggest having a custom hoodie made for the event. Get your own design have it put on a hoodie. Make new hoodies every year updating the date. Assuming this will continue to happen every year. It would likely cost less then a Shimano hoodie, last year we got hoodies made for all shop employee's the price was 32$'s a hoodie for XL adults that was back and front design.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Im in for a hoody, I think thats another great idea.
X2! What are the age group for kids? I can get some hoodies for a discount from NGAGE but the smallest is an adult small. I can pm you the pictures and price if you want
Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM

do you have to be a certain age to help out with this, Im only 17 but i would sure help out. Sounds like a blast, dont know anything about it though.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM

can you explain what its all about for the newbies on here? i would like to attend this
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM

The place I wk. will donate for that day, generators, small equipment that you will need !! Already asked, and he said whatever you need

Just let me know 1 month before what you need, please
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinCrazyy View Post
do you have to be a certain age to help out with this, Im only 17 but i would sure help out. Sounds like a blast, dont know anything about it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
can you explain what its all about for the newbies on here? i would like to attend this
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=boys+girls
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
I might suggest having a custom hoodie made for the event. Get your own design have it put on a hoodie. Make new hoodies every year updating the date. Assuming this will continue to happen every year. It would likely cost less then a Shimano hoodie, last year we got hoodies made for all shop employee's the price was 32$'s a hoodie for XL adults that was back and front design.
Are you offering to design the logo, pay for the hoodies or all of the above?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 PM

Made some calls today put on some miles this am........

Thanks BILL of The Fishin Hole......he has been a good friend of the event in its initial year and once again he has made a huge Hoody donation,,,,,,,,,we will seek other tackle companies for hoody sponsorship.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Are you offering to design the logo, pay for the hoodies or all of the above?

Thanks
Just making a suggestion on what would be a less expensive route, that is unless one of the big companies wants to give a really good discount on hoodies. I just think it would be best to have your own design unique to this event every year.

If it comes down to it I could pay a graphic artist to make a design for the event, Find somewhere central to put the design on the hoodies and get a quote. As for paying for all the hoodies, well.. as charitable as I am, Xmas is approaching and well honestly I don' think I will be in the financial position to do any major spending afterwards until after February.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM

so what i got out of the old thread was, its basically a day where a bunch of us take less fortunate kids out fishing and teach them the ropes. with prizes and stuff to boot
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 PM

It's a day for the kids.

Many of us have not had someone to teach them how to fish; carefully, respectfully and responsibly while inciting enthusiasm for the sport. Providing the means and educating the relationship we all share in the resource is among the goals of this event.

Take a kid fishing, and fishing lives forever.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM

Terry I would like to make a donation for hoodies or whatever is needed. Email transfer work or do you prefer another method?

Last edited by OneGirlWolfPack; 10-30-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 PM

I'd be in to help out where I can, tent heater flasher and cam. I'll deffinatly be making a weekend of it being on Saturday.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 AM

Well, I said it on the other thread, and I may as well say it here...I'll be heading down with the Edmonton crew to help out in whatever way possible.

Looking forward to the event, as well as meeting some of the folks down South

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM

I think this will work

For all of you wishing to sponsor a Childs Hoody, Bill from The Fishin Hole in Calgary has made a generoous offer. He has some special pricing on some Top of the line name brand Hoodies, from various Tackle companies. 29.95 to 39.95. which is a huge discount, WHILE SUPPLIES LAST.
Anyone wishing to donate can call the Fishin Hole in Calagry 403-291-3688 and with a credit card buy a hoody and sponsor a child. I will collect the jerseys. Its a win win folks, Great price, You dont leave the comfort of your home, The event isnt handling your money AND MOST IMPORTANT A CHILD WILL BE WARM AND WILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY HIS OR HER DAY IN COMFORT.

THANK YOU BILL AND THE FISHIN HOLE.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR PARTICIPATING and please leave your forum name with your order
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Talk about warm.. got heaters too.. so we can plug them in the gen's. K? Do you may have an estimate.. # on top of your head of a count?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 PM

I'm in 100% chubb! I'll see how I can rally the troops at work and see what I can do for a donation.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_13 View Post
Talk about warm.. got heaters too.. so we can plug them in the gen's. K? Do you may have an estimate.. # on top of your head of a count?

I very much appreciate your enthusiasm, and no one is more gratefull than me. but like i have corresponded with you previously its not a simple process. It takes some time and i truely am going as fast as i can, i can only push so hard and so far with every aspect of the event.

please bear with me, if we end up loosing your offer because of organizing delays I fully underrstand.If i answered your questions right now.....i'd would have to lie to you.

And just so your prepared Heating is a very delicate issue. Volumne of people , size of structure, safety personal on site, number of btu's. tent insurance coverage. county restrictions and a detailed plan of cause and result must be formatted and detailed incase of fire or wind. Yes a risk manager and underwrriter will examine the events plan. Depending on costs above the standard policy which i have paid already some riders and suppliments may just be to expensive to add to the policy. This is why im pushing the hoody issue so hard.....its the cheapest and safest way to keep the kids warm.
On the outside it may seem like we just call the clubs and the Hotdog company and poooooof we have a Ice Fishing Event, its far from the truth. Volunteers and Children on Ice in Rural Alberta= caution to the max.

i hope this explains a little to everyone

thank you for your support
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I'm in 100% chubb! I'll see how I can rally the troops at work and see what I can do for a donation.

thanks i appreciate it very much
Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 PM

Canadian National Sportsman Shows is once again in in a very large way with Rod Combos and Cash.

Thanks Laurie Paetz your a angel to the event

Huge thanks to Mofugger for contacting Jordy at Fergs Septic service....we have a place to PEE. THANK YOU FERGS, its your kind of generousity that makes the event possible.

Thanks everyone I will update as fast as possible.

Text me, Call me. email me and I will respond as quickly as I can.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmtobias View Post
I will be donating 10% of sales from today until January 2013. We are a brand new online store so it may not be very much, but i think that it is important for the kids to have these mentors to teach them the enjoyment of the outdoors when they wouldnt normally have the chance. So, if you need some fishing gear or a christmas present for someone else and want to support this event, then check us out.
www.albertaoutdoorsports.com

Thanks to everyone involved, especially Chubb!

Please provide a banner for us to fly at the event, thank you for your kindness.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Anyone requiring a official letter to solicite donations please send me your email addy and i will send you a copy
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 PM

Thank You Dale, Pam and TWH Oilfield Services of Taber. Your true friends of the event and it will be so good to see you both again.

In fact it will be great to see all of the returnees this year. Lets Rock the lake with a great show again.