Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Thumbs down Dolberg Poaching

I took this picture at Dolberg Aug. 9, 2009. This photo shows illegal activity but according to the goverment it does not show the hooks on the line and there has been cases that would argue that maybe this is just straighting of the lines. When I contacted F&W they asked me to pick up the dead fish (small ones) that he was letting go but died a short time later. This person had culled the fish to take home larger ones. The child in this photo had no interest of fishing. F&W were very short staffed this day. I froze the fish as per there request. So the question remains how much proof do you actually need to stop this behavior ? Could the local police step in ? What are your suggestions ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dolberg Lake.jpg (133.2 KB, 1140 views)
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM

is no fishing allowed there at all??never heard of this lake
Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 PM

I don't understand what illegal activity this photo shows.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 PM

How Many Lines is he using, I see two.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

Where is this lake, is there good close parking? thanks
looks like the kid wishs he was home playing on the computer lol
Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
How Many Lines is he using, I see two.
I only see one. I imagine the picture you took is clearer and larger than what I'm looking at though. It might be possible to see a second line on the original image.

If there are two lines, I wouldn't give a dad who appears to be trying to get his child interested in fishing too hard a time if the child was making some attempt at the process.

Can't see the second one on my monitor with the image provided, though.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I only see one. I imagine the picture you took is clearer and larger than what I'm looking at though. It might be possible to see a second line on the original image.

If there are two lines, I wouldn't give a dad who appears to be trying to get his child interested in fishing too hard a time if the child was making some attempt at the process.

Can't see the second one on my monitor with the image provided, though.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Way too many armchair F&W officers out there. I'm surprised more haven't asked me to show my research license this year on the river, fishing two rods and all.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Dolberg Lake

For the location of this lake please use google maps, it is hard to find this lake located n.w of Barrhead, Alberta. Wach out for the two bears and a crew of skunks with a new litter.
Happy Fishin (wishin)
Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM

I appear to have lost the ability to edit my posts. Strange.

Anyway, I was going to add that I spent quite a bit of time this week actually holding two rods. We were fishing with a bunch of kids, and every time one of them had to run off to the bathroom or grab a sweater one of us wound up holding the rod until they came back.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Thumbs up Two Rods

What you are doing is right. The kids were making an effort to catch fish.
They seemed interested. The photo I took shows this child had no interest.
The person fishing with two rods was fishing aggressively. The child was catching chub minnows in the shallow water and was chasing butterflys.
There are lots of good fishing men/women who fish with responsibitly and will educate there children to look after the lake when we are gone.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 PM

So fishing with a kid is Illegal these days? hahaha wow! fishing musta been slow > sneaking around taking pictures of a guy trying to take his kid fishing and calling him in for it> no wonder they didnt send anyone they have better things to do like catch actual poachers!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Thumbs down Dolberg Poacher

Here is the second photo it is clear to see what is going on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dolberg 2.jpg (144.0 KB, 746 views)
Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
The photo I took shows this child had no interest.
The person fishing with two rods was fishing aggressively. The child was catching chub minnows in the shallow water and was chasing butterflys.
I'm not trying to be a pain in the @$$ here, Paul, but I think what you saw and what the picture show are two different things. There is no doubt in my mind about what you saw happening, but that doesn't translate well in your photo. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I imagine it must come across that way. The infraction would probably come across better in video. If the camera you were using has a video function you might want to spend some time getting used to how it operates. Video would make a more convincing argument, and better evidence.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Here is the second photo it is clear to see what is going on.
The second photo certainly makes a stronger statement. But then again, as I said previously, there were plenty of times this last week where a picture of me would have looked pretty similar . . . and it looks really bad!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerloop View Post
So fishing with a kid is Illegal these days? hahaha wow! fishing musta been slow > sneaking around taking pictures of a guy trying to take his kid fishing and calling him in for it> no wonder they didnt send anyone they have better things to do like catch actual poachers!
This case this child was not interested. Fish and Wildlife in Barrhead were on days off. It was very sad to see dead fish floating around the dock and on the bottom of the lake. I do not think this funny and I am very surprised by your immature comments.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Paul, with all due respect, I must say, "Get a life man!". Stop wasting enforcement resources on something that is nothing, or better yet, take a kid fishing and see for yourself.

Tree
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Default Shelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
The second photo certainly makes a stronger statement. But then again, as I said previously, there were plenty of times this last week where a picture of me would have looked pretty similar . . . and it looks really bad!
I have seen lots of familys fishing and I dont believe you would leave dead fish floating in the water.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I have seen lots of familys fishing and I dont believe you would leave dead fish floating in the water.
Probably not . . . but we'd have to catch some first

I think we're cursed.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Paul, with all due respect, I must say, "Get a life man!". Stop wasting enforcement resources on something that is nothing, or better yet, take a kid fishing and see for yourself.

Tree
Couldn't agree more, especially given that the average attention span of a child is probably similar to my German Shepherd.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Pd don't know you but Tree I am disapointed in you really don't you think this guy should pay dearly and the kid what is the minimum sentence for a child like attention span! Show us the dead fish and we will rise with you in the quest for justice come tree join us in this quest

I'm with Tree on this one "Get a Life"

Sorry for being a jerk I'm tired
Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Pd don't know you but Tree I am disapointed in you really don't you think this guy should pay dearly and the kid what is the minimum sentence for a child like attention span! Show us the dead fish and we will rise with you in the quest for justice come tree join us in this quest

I'm with Tree on this one "Get a Life"

Sorry for being a jerk I'm tired
You make it sound like a World of Warcraft saga!! Awesome.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Default !!!

Hey P
Hate to say it but there is no proof of illegal activity in your pics
The regs state you can be 30 meters from your line
That means a guys could technically be holding 50 rods and still be legal as long as there were 49 other guys within 30 meters
I really hate regs abuse so I applaud your efforts
Stay dilligent dogg!!!!
Everyone should care as much as you
Cheers, gw
Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Tree
I agree, just worry about catching a fish and have fun rather than trying to be superman! People get paid for that for a reason! Sorry. But to many finger pointing on here. Relax have fun.... Without poaching is all.....
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 AM

The way I see it, as long as someone ain't keeping more than the posted limit, I could really care less if they use'd 20 rods. Plus the guy has his kid with him so like everyone else, I'm not seeing what's wrong here at all. Perfectly legal as per the reg's.

I'd say your private eye work would be more benifical being spent watching some of our much more vunerable Walleye fisheries. Those guys whom are "real" poachers whom have no probelm keeping 10 or 20 Walleye an outing and do it every weekend. Our the guys whom drop a Moose in the middle of the night using spot lights. Those are the guys we need to catch and are the "real" risk to our Alberta Outdoors.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
This case this child was not interested. Fish and Wildlife in Barrhead were on days off. It was very sad to see dead fish floating around the dock and on the bottom of the lake. I do not think this funny and I am very surprised by your immature comments.
So where are pictures of the dead fish then Sherlock. Personally I think you fall under this category:

-----
wea新el (wzl) n.
A person regarded as sneaky or treacherous.

intr.v. wea新eled also wea新elled, wea新el搏ng also wea新el損ing, wea新els also wea新els

To be evasive; equivocate.

Phrasal Verb:
weasel out Informal
To back out of a situation or commitment in a sneaky or cowardly manner.
-----
Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 AM

rotflmao
Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 AM

SNAPFisher

That was totally uncalled for!!!!!

And to the others. You and I were not there to see.

If he was culling and releaseing dead fish in the process, that is illegal. And prolly not a lot different than some "duck hunters" - well not really but hope you get my point.

And if they were releasing dead fish what is that teaching the kids?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
Hey P
Hate to say it but there is no proof of illegal activity in your pics
The regs state you can be 30 meters from your line
That means a guys could technically be holding 50 rods and still be legal as long as there were 49 other guys within 30 meters
I really hate regs abuse so I applaud your efforts
Stay diligent dogg!!!!
Everyone should care as much as you
Cheers, GE
You need to read regs more carefully!! 1 line in summer and 2 though the ice.

I have 2 kids and have had them out on hundreds of occasions. You could easily take snapshots of me that looked illegal. Maybe I will think twice about taking them with me from now on. Thanks.

If he was culling then I agree that deserves punishment. But give us guys with kids some slack please. It is hard enough to get them interested in hunting or fishing with all the peta inpired kids shows they are watching now.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Obviously we have someone here who knows the rules of fishing and is upset because some ****** is taking advantage of our already suffering fisheries. No the pictures don't tell the story but Paul does and if he saw the culling happen then I would tend to believe.
I do not think it is fair to jump all over this guy, calling him childish names and saying he is lying.
I applaud him for making and effort to get F&W involved, there are a lot of people that wouldn't bother. Although F&W may not have been able to do anything this time, hopefully they can or will next time.
We all need to help police the waters as much as we can, to help preserve what fisheries we have left in this province.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIrv View Post
I do not think it is fair to jump all over this guy, calling him childish names and saying he is lying.
Welcome to AO LOL

And I fully agree with you.