Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM

fish for pike, they are too stubborn to let go of the hook most of the time even if they arent hooked

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=ESOXangler;494457]i personally feel barbless hooks add more to the sport. theres a challenge there, and that feeling of excitement that you just might lose the fish. when you got something big on the line it'll give you more of a rush(for me anyways). But that is probably only true if you treat fishing like a sport and your not doing it to feed your starving family.

Sport Fishing. Is that not what we are all doing? Good post angler

CR
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Default ...

Well this past weekend me and the boy hooked up 8 Lakers in total. Pulled two through the ice and the boy lost both of his hookups. Bringing up a 10lb laker from 60-80ft is hard for him at 8 yrs old never mind keeping the line slack free. It upset him losing them fish after finally getting a hookup which put me on this rant so...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked07 View Post
Well this past weekend me and the boy hooked up 8 Lakers in total. Pulled two through the ice and the boy lost both of his hookups. Bringing up a 10lb laker from 60-80ft is hard for him at 8 yrs old never mind keeping the line slack free. It upset him losing them fish after finally getting a hookup which put me on this rant so...
Dont pinch the barbs next time.Alot of guys dont pinch them.I personaly always pinch my barbs when i'm fishing for trout in a creek or river.But when fishing a lake
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Most kids learn right and wrong as well as acceptable ways to react to situations from their parents.

BTW I have 2 boys. A 6 and a 3 year old so I can relate to your frustration when your boy is upset. I don't believe that mitigates the necessity to teach them right from wrong. ALWAYS.

Last edited by deanmc; 01-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
Clearly you and your kid are special so you guys should have special rules. Dont bother to teach him to enjoy the outdoors or time with his dad teach him to cheat and break the law that will help out later when he is driving around a trailer park with a rum in coke in hand looking to score the big dirty.
Hey no need to drag Julian into this Ricky He's a gr8 guy from what i know. Met and parteeeed a bit with the TPBoyz this summer Once i figure out how to post pics, got a gooder for u all Actually...I have several
But seriously, barbed...cmon Hooked07. That is very poor parental skills...perhaps this should be on another forum...based on Ethics?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Default barbs

i like barbless hooks it teaches you not to make mistakes when bringing up fish i even fish barbless in saskatchewan where you can legally use barbs it takes more skill to bring em in just keep the line tight.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 PM

Default ...

C'mon really? Where did I say I used a barbed hooked when fishing with the boy??? I said we lost 50% of the fish due to the "barbless"?! Good thing computers are so user friendly these days.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Hooked , I could careless what your going to do . From the sounds of it might be other factors in your loss of fish rather then the hook . Maybe a stiffer rod , with a bait caster for your son would be the answer . Of course im not telling you what to do . Ive seen lots of people fishing 10 feet beside me losing fish , telling me that I must be fishing with Barbs , when in fact I dont . I press those bad boys right to the Shaft of the hook .

The key is a good hook , set and proper and Equipment , Sharp hooks . If your hooks are dull your not gonna get good hook placement . Maybe a higher lb line and Bait caster would be your answer .

Of course your going to lose fish with out that Barb on your hook , but its not going to be 50 % less . Try some of these tactics , and hopefully you land more fish , feel free to Send me a pm I have a few other tricks that might help you out aswell .

Bring your son into this world as a Law Abiding citizen , and Good Outdoorsmen , instead of a Sketchy , Criminal . Not to mention a lovely fine from Fish and Wildlife would suck way more then losing a few fish . We are all fishermen , not Catchermen . There's days Ill catch 400 fish , and there's day Ill catch 2 fish . Its not about catching all the fish or biggest , its about being out there with your kid . Tight lines be safe and good fishing .
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 PM

Well i think barbs are great, but i hate $200 fines... unless your fishing at obed i think adults should have to pinch..
but as for children... if your young enough to not need a licence than you should be able to use barbs...
Lots of harsh people here..
Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
C'mon really? Where did I say I used a barbed hooked when fishing with the boy??? I said we lost 50% of the fish due to the "barbless"?! Good thing computers are so user friendly these days.
Cmon really? After all the good suggestions on here u still gonna be a Barbie doll? Do whatever u want as I am sure u will. Sometimes u win out there, sometimes u lose. All part of the game....it's called fishing...remember? Barb it up all u want, ur only cheatin urself...n killin fish along the way. Yes it can be frustrating when one loses a fish, but no need to go to harsh tactics. Jus keep trying
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM

I have not used barbs in probably 15 years or more.Back then me and a couple of friends kept track of fish caught with and without barbs and found that we lost a lot more on hooks WITH the barbs stil on. We came to the conclusion that with the barb the hook is about twice as thick and on hookset the barbless hooks much more easily penetrated fully and the barbed hooks were not seting passed the barb so the fish was only hooked by the tip only. The larger the hook the more apparent this was.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
For all you guys that are offering me fishing advice, tight lines? No sh** really?! I'm gonna try that next time I'm out, hope it works.
This is all part of FISHING other wise they would call it CATCHING you win some you loose 50% in your case tighten up your line and that should tighten up your stats

Last edited by Rob Miskosky; 01-28-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 AM

My advice to you is to take your boy into shallow water and target walleye/pike, i am sure he would have much more fun. 60-80 ft is a long way up to bring a fish no matter what your expereince is. At 8 yrs old a fish is a fish, doesn't matter what the species is.

I have a 5yr old, that can handle a rod pretty good for his age. I tried taking him perch fishing and pretty much the same thing happened as you. 20ft of water and 10-15 ft up he would lose it. He was discouraged and not having much fun and cuts into my time by time i get him set up again. If he comes out with me now we just target walleye and he has a blast. If i am out solo i will try my luck at perch.

Just gotta adapt to the changes, good luck!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Banned

Move to B.C.,you can yse barbed TREBLE hooks in most lakes.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 AM

I have been using barbless hooks for more than 25 years and fishing for 50+ and do not think that using barbless looses more fish. I went barbless when i started taking my kids out fishing because they are a lot easier to remove from clothing and fingers ect. My kids caught lots of fish over the years with no problem.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 AM

I've been float fishing (someone said you lose more fish this way) for chinooks for 16 years with b/less hooks. 2/0 - 5/0. Try getting those to the boat. Trout and salmon break water, tail dance, twist and turn like crazy. Set your drag properly and keep the line as tight as possible and hang on. What a blast! I do think it's bs that a barbed hook won't penetrate like a b/less. Cmon, there's a lot of pressure put on there. I would say because of the way the fight we probably lose 1/3 because of barbless. I don't really care though for me it's the challenge not how many are in the boat. Enough of the whining and some of the ignorant suggestions, have fun man, that's the ticket!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 AM

Personally, I haven't lost many fish due to barbless hooks. Perch are the only species I've lost so far, and that was because I wasn't quick enough. Even my loss rate with those was only around 25%.

I sure appreciate the ease with which they're released when fishing barbless.

While I can appreciate what you're saying about your young man's troubles (I have two boys of my own: a teen and a toddler) , I think BBJ has made some really good suggestions for you with regards to gear changes that you can implement. I've just picked up a couple of baitcast reels for our ice fishing equipment. After seeing them in use on the ice, I think they're the perfect tool for the application.

I had some other things to say, and while I might not have used the exact words that BBJ did . . . read the last paragraph of his post again. He makes some good, and valid, points.

It can be tempting to take the easy way out and break the rules, but working through the rough patch will impart a valuable lesson (and hopefully a great sense of accomplishment for your young man). Some children are more resilient and driven than others, but heaping loads of praise on him ("You got a laker all the way to the hole! Good for you!") instead of focusing on the negative ("Shucks, lost another one") might help a bit.

You might like to try quick-strike rigs for your little guy. Also, a fish TV might be a fun tool for him to use (if you're not already using one) and deflect his attention away from a lost fish and onto something else.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM

I believe hook size and type is a way bigger influence on mortality than barbs. Fish too big a hook on small fish and you hit the eye socket or head a large percentage of the time. Use too small a hook on big fish and they suck that thing way down the gullet. In some cases the fish are sucking in the single hooks deep while a properly sized treble stays near the lips. Trebles and singles of varying sizes all have their uses in certain situations based on size of fish and the agression of the bite. We use to use tiny barbed trebles with live herring rigs out on the coast for big salmon. Never an issue with bad hooking (the hook just wasn't big enough to penetrate anything major) and man did those things hang on surprisingly well. I had far more issues with the spoons and plugs with the large single hooks on them.

...wonder how many fish have been speared in the head by a big barbless single hook such as a big streamer.

Sorry for the sidetrack but my though was perhaps you should try small barbless trebles if you haven't already. You may find the smaller hooks have more holding ability once in. Good luck
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
So far this year I have personally lost over 50% of fish due to barbless through the ice and I'm damn sick of it!!! This whole mortalilty issue is for the birds, I don't recall seeing dead fish floating everywhere when barbs were legal so what gives? Common scenario this winter; fish all day for Lakers and finally get a hit, bring'em up to the hole and bam he spits it out. Yes, my hooks are sharp and yes I think I will be going back to good 'ol barbs with my snippers in my pocket at the ready, damn, I just lost my hook sir?!
Hi hooked 07
If your line ends up "broken " just as the c.o. shows up you'll get a failure to produce ticket, and when the officer looks at your line and realizes that it has been cut he may go all bad cop on you. Either way you'll be getting a ticket.
One big thing to remember when you're out fishing is that you dont always net the fish you have on. Often times the fish gets off.
Cast again.

Happy fishing!!
Fishstix!!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
So far this year I have personally lost over 50% of fish due to barbless through the ice and I'm damn sick of it!!! This whole mortalilty issue is for the birds, I don't recall seeing dead fish floating everywhere when barbs were legal so what gives? Common scenario this winter; fish all day for Lakers and finally get a hit, bring'em up to the hole and bam he spits it out. Yes, my hooks are sharp and yes I think I will be going back to good 'ol barbs with my snippers in my pocket at the ready, damn, I just lost my hook sir?!
It's fishing who hasn't had days where they've lost several fish?

Last edited by Rob Miskosky; 01-28-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
The only thing that really ticks me off about barbless hooks is that kids have to use them as well. I'm fine with keeping a tight line but I figure if your young enough to fish without a liscence you should be able to use barbs. My kids lose interest pretty fast when they see fish after fish spit the hooks out just when they get them to the surface.
soo true!! i personally havent had any worse luck with barbless but i do have another complaint with it.. with tip up's and keeping bait on the hook... personally from time to time i do forget to crimp a new hook and somtimes even after pulling it in and seeing it i dont crimp it but if im going for C&R or a lake where to get a legal size fish is rare i do crimp..
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Wink Loosing bait shure does suck

minnows and leaches wen you're jigin they always come off, barbless hooks suck. catching fish no problem, loosing bait always a problem...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator

I would hope that Hooked07 is being facetious and not serious. At any rate, insults will not be tolerated between forum users, which is clearly against forum rules. If it continues the thread will be shut down.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Default Barbless hooks

I have often wondered why the provincial government has not put a stop to the commercial importation of barb-less hooks into Alberta. It would be a simple matter at the manufacturing level to use an alternate (barb-less) hook for shipments bound to jurisdictions with such requirements. Making barbed hooks less available to the casual angler would significantly reduce their use in Alberta.
Any individual going through the trouble of bringing in specialized hooks probably is already on the barb-less bandwagon.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
I would hope that Hooked07 is being facetious and not serious. At any rate, insults will not be tolerated between forum users, which is clearly against forum rules. If it continues the thread will be shut down.

I hate to say it but with a topic like this and the history of posts regarding it, I would say its pretty clear the comments are not going to get any better.

On a personal note before this thread gets deleted I have to question why I got crapped on via a personal message from a moderator for using an acronym with the letters tfw (not in that order) in the body of a post which was not used in a negative comment and this thread has gone on this long with a questionable acronym in the title.

Im going fishing

CR
Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
On a personal note before this thread gets deleted I have to question why I got crapped on via a personal message from a moderator for using an acronym with the letters tfw (not in that order) in the body of a post which was not used in a negative comment and this thread has gone on this long with a questionable acronym in the title.
Maybe you should ask the mod via PM instead of wasting bandwidth here?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum,and like too say I've enjoyed reading the post's here for about 6 monthes. Now over this time I've seen post's like this one and I know where people are coming from! I too have been checked out on the lakes for barbed hooks, Now I'm the type of person who trys to the best of my abillity to play by the rules, but when things don't add up I'll reserch!!! Now I called F&W and asked them about the barbless hook deal. I was told that there is no offical test NO line test and NO Q-tip test of any kind for the F&W officers too use. They are looking to see that you have pintched your barbs to the best of your abillaty. If they are not satisfied they will "educate" you. Good enough for me. Now I have had differance of oppinions with C.O.'s on this and a few other things such as.
The F&W officer told me if there is ever an issue like this that I should call them right then and there, as Fish and wild life officers are the athority on any matters like this one.

Hopefully this helps, I don't want to knock the C.O's but it seems they are read from a different rule book than the one we are expected to play from.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

i just call it a quick release when the fish gets off....saves me trouble of work... yup the good old Bob izumi quick release.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Default The Barbless Saga

Yes I have lost more fish because of barbless hooks BUT I have adapted and changed the way I fish. It can be a little more challenging but personlly I love the challenge I have lost big fish barbed and barbless Yes it sucks that you have to re-bait all the time but that is the name of the game.
My tip-ups don't work the same they did when I run barbed hooks but I have adapted. I built a system using my casting rod that sets the hook and keeps tension on the line until I can get to again I adapted. The laws are always changing when it comes to fishing and hunting so, when they change we have to adapt.
There is so much we all can learn from this site by exchanging tips and ideas instead of insults
But this is just my opinon