Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2010, 09:15 AM

I've alerted my boss to the fact that I plan on taking the 17th and the 20th off work. He seems pretty amiable to the situation. He actually suggested I needed a "nice long fishing weekend," as my mood has been a little hostile lately and I've snapped at a few co-workers. Oops.

I'm having a look at a trailer today. *fingers crossed* I've been able to dig up some other ones I'm interested in, too.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:12 PM

Well, I put a deposit down on this one:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ226918484

It isn't exactly what I was looking for, but I fell in love with it!

If everything works out as planned, we'll be there.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Nice

Have a friend with the same layout and he quite likes. Good for the weekends and the comforts of home almost. As long as it works for you that is all that matters. Just make sure there are no water spots on the ceilings especially the corners. Go up and check to see if the owner has caulked the roof so you don't end up with a leaky boat...

Wife got her schedule arranged today as well so looks like we will be out on Saturday night instead of Sunday. One extra day of holidays for us. Yahoo...
Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Ok so far we have :

Mr/Mrs jts1
Michelle
Flygirl
Mr/Mrs Gringo
Mr/Mrs Wayne
DarkAisling
Frost1545
Fishingmom

1 week left before we all are sitting around the fire telling lies and having a few nips. Cant wait to get out again. As for the food thing I will let it lay for another day but it always works out. If people that are going to attend want a site please let me know so I can talk to the campground and get the ball rolling. Are we still doing the group site or are we just going to all camp side by side in the sites??

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Default Gathering

I think if we are only going to be 6 or 8 units at that time of year we should have no problem taking a corner or loop of the campground. Most of the sites are quite big so should be no problem fitting everyone in. There are not usually too many campers except the diehards out there at that time especially with no power. We should have a genny or 2 as well so we should be ok for that as well. The cost of the group camp gets pretty expensive for a few people. If we had 15-20 I think it would be great. I will make sure I have my jumbo tarp for cover in case of a monsoon like last year and if we can get enough firewood we should have no issues keeping warm, dry and well fed.
Let me know if you think of anything else as I think the back of my truck is getting more full every day.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM

I vote for individual sites, as I can't commit 100%. I may not have the trailer in time for this trip. As always, things could go wrong . . . and with the way things have gone over the last few months I almost expect a last moment disaster (and I'm basically inviting one this time).

Hadn't thought about a genny. Have too see if I can find a deal on one, I think.

Our potluck contribution will probably be something from the Safeway deli: platters of some sort.

It should be me, hubby, and our little guy.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I vote for individual sites, as I can't commit 100%. I may not have the trailer in time for this trip. As always, things could go wrong . . . and with the way things have gone over the last few months I almost expect a last moment disaster (and I'm basically inviting one this time).

Hadn't thought about a genny. Have too see if I can find a deal on one, I think.

Our potluck contribution will probably be something from the Safeway deli: platters of some sort.

It should be me, hubby, and our little guy.
techno-junkie :P

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Will be there on the 18th, not sure yet for how many days. Was thinking of bringin the horses down and fish a couple days then head out hunting for a few days but haven't looked into it much yet. Can't wait for another great gathering
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Default Pot luck idea

Sandra and I were discussing the gathering over breakfast.
Since we have people coming out different days for the gathering and some will be there sooner and some longer than others why don't we try to do the pot luck on the day when most people will be present.
From what I see Sunday would be that day.
We were thinking maybe a mid afternoon Sunday dinner could work. Then everyone coming down should be there and everyone could go home on a full belly or even if someone wants to come for a Sunday day trip can partake.
I was also looking at the weather and nights are going to be pretty cool so sitting in the afternoon hopefully in the sun may be nicer for eating as well.
What are your thoughts?

Ken
Old 09-06-2010, 11:02 AM

You seen the size of my belly?? I am good to eat anytime anywhere. Great idea I agree

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Ken told me about the Champion generator at Costco so I picked it up the week after. Used it this long weekend at Beauvais and it was awesome, pretty quiet and very portable.

If you need more power you can link two of them up in parallel.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
You seen the size of my belly?? I am good to eat anytime anywhere. Great idea I agree
You have body dysmorphic disorder or something. Sure, you're carrying a few extra pounds, but you're not as big as you seem to think you are.

Sunday nights sounds good for dinner.

No genny for us (for now). Hubby feels we don't need one.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 AM

Default Genny

Good to hear it worked good as that one is version 1.0 and not too many reports on it yet. My big Champion runs great so assumed they had a good product. Shelley, keep in mind genny just isn't for running the toys of the trailer but is great for keeping the trailer batteries charges. When it gets colder and you need to run your furnace the batteries don't last forever. A few hours on the genny tops them back up. I have a 4k but the little 2k one Will bought is great for that. I was thinking of getting one myself as they are more portable than my big one. Big one is great to run the air and everything else at once but a little 2k runs all the small stuff and will keep the batteries topped up. Especially if you are like us and go out until winter freezes in. We don't put our trailer away just because of a little frost. We have been known to be out in December as long as it is not too cold.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Shelley, keep in mind genny just isn't for running the toys of the trailer but is great for keeping the trailer batteries charges. When it gets colder and you need to run your furnace the batteries don't last forever. A few hours on the genny tops them back up..
Yup. Even I can figure that out!

My choices are:
A) Listen to hubby, and allow the three of us to suffer (and use way to much gas by charging the batteries with the truck).
B) Ignore hubby and buy a generator (and then be in trouble for "wasting money"),
C) See if I can rent Will and Larissa's for the weekend (if they're not coming).

If we don't suffer he isn't going to recognize the need for it, and it would be a "waste of money." I suppose another option would be to see if we could rent yours while we're out there (since you're bringing it anyway). That might work well . . . we'd have a day to suffer before being saved from our stupidity by someone willing to rent out his generator for a few hours.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Hey Dark ya gotta clean your PM box. Tryed sending a PM but can't. Too full.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Hey Dark ya gotta clean your PM box. Tryed sending a PM but can't. Too full.
Deleted a handfull. I've got 87 unanswered PMs in there, that I keep meaning to get too

Bad Shelley.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 AM

I won't be bringing the genny to Iceland/Finland so you're welcome to use it if you want. I got a battery charger and just plugged it in directly to the genny and connected up the battery. Charged it while we were using things in the trailer and it took maybe two hours to get it from half to almost full. If your new trailer has two 6v batteries it'll have much better amperage so you probably won't need the genny.

We only have the one 12v battery in ours and it would have probably just lasted the three nights but I didn't want to risk the furnace dying on the last night as it got to 0C overnight.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
why don't we try to do the pot luck on the day when most people will be present.
From what I see Sunday would be that day.
If that is the case I wont be present for the pot luck as my little stinker has a party to be at on sunday. Still considering the options - driving out and back on saturday.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 PM

this sound like fun.........

any lakes around????

more details please
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

ha. wow did i fall behind on this one. i figured its so far in advance id let the posts build up then catch myself up but looks like that was a bad choice. ha. well i will definately be in for at least 1 night/day. the lady will work the saturday morning so saturdays are usually my fishing days so i dont see why i wouldnt come out the friday after work fish sat and see if the gf would want to either catch up with us or i just head home. or i stay in town that night and we come out sat night. I will definately be in for at least 1 night but unsure which one
Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Banned

Hi all,. i still want to come, i THINK! i know how to get there, lol it's actualy not all that far from me ( west/sw of me )
( my 2 cents on this) once at the actual campsite, would it be a good idea to put up a sign ( cardboard ect???) saying AO Gathering Here ??
so first timers ( like me ) know where it is??

Thanks and I hope I can make it ( $ is still tight)
RHF
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Potluck on Sunday ! YES! Can't wait! Maybe I can park beside someone with a genny, I assume it is going to be cold
Jeff I will need a campsite...right beside you guys

BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD

GHANDI
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 AM

Default Gathering

Not to worry gents. As we get closer more details, and trail is marked as well. We will leave a trail of bread crumbs so everyone can find their way home.
Come out any day you wish as I believe Jeff will be first out and I won't be until Saturday night but we both will be staying during the week as well.
For fishing this is all river, creek and beaverpond country. Leave the pike gear at home as this is trout country. The Etherington creek campground is easy to find so no need to worry about getting lost. Only a few miles away from the Highwood house corner which has a small store, gas, dump site etc.
Any questions on the area etc. send me a p.m. as we have been going out that area for years camping and fishing so are very familiar. For anyone who is not into fishing there are many hiking trails as well, and a horse area there too if you go riding.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman53 View Post
Will be there on the 18th, not sure yet for how many days. Was thinking of bringin the horses down and fish a couple days then head out hunting for a few days but haven't looked into it much yet. Can't wait for another great gathering

.......,,,,????............,,,.......,,!!!!!!!!!.. ........????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????.. .................
Old 09-08-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
.......,,,,????............,,,.......,,!!!!!!!!!.. ........????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????.. .................
comeon, no one else can speak newbrunswickese here :P

Got permission from the boss today to leave a couple hours early that Friday so we should be out there around dark. Looks like the corn will be ready next week so thats what I will be bringing, straight out of the garden.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM

I confirmed my days off today. We'll be heading out around noon on Friday, and heading back into town around 11:30 on Monday. #1 son will be coming with us (his Disneyland trip was derailed), and he needs to be back in time for his last class on Monday.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Talking AO Gathering

How will he ever survive without his wiifi ?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywolfwoman View Post
How will he ever survive without his wiifi ?
I think the real question is how will I survive without mine?

I suspect Jeff might keep him busy, though that worries me a little. (Ya get my kid drunk and you're in big trouble, Jeff!).

Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
For anyone who is not into fishing there are many hiking trails as well, and a horse area there too if you go riding.
FYI: Hubby is deathly allergic to horses (or at least he used to be). Please let him know before coming into contact with him if any of you have been in contact with horses, so he can take the necessary precautions.

Where can I buy an EpiPen?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
comeon, no one else can speak newbrunswickese here :P

Got permission from the boss today to leave a couple hours early that Friday so we should be out there around dark. Looks like the corn will be ready next week so thats what I will be bringing, straight out of the garden.
Its actually bushman53 language and if you had of been to the last gathering you would know what it means. Shelly be aware that there is an equestrian campground attached to this same campground so horses may or may not be in the area, busman53 said he may bring his....