Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
I kinda like your theory, when did u land that 27#er?

And Wayne (devoted pike fisherman) curious as to your PB unless u already mentioned it and I missed it? And what lake? A,B, C, D, L, M, N, O, P, lemme guess...lake X!
Cheers n GL all!
my best so far is only 20 pounds, and I caught it at Unnamed Reservoir. Ive always wondered why they use that name on the map instead of the real one. I have had much bigger on the line , but not thru the ice so far.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
my best so far is only 20 pounds, and I caught it at Unnamed Reservoir. Ive always wondered why they use that name on the map instead of the real one. I have had much bigger on the line , but not thru the ice so far.
Werd berd
Just off Highway K, take a left after the fourth chicken, and it's the second right, after the third tumbleweed, right?

Cheers!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My vote is on Wabamun simply becuase I have landed some big pigs out of there and it seems on a regular basis. I have a "one that got away" story with myself and my kid where I could not get it in the net (it was way way too long) and the fish was simply to tough to handle with my kid at the boat trying to help. He was scared of the thing !!!. Trying to turn it, after a few failed attempts to get it in the boat, she finaly spit the hook and swam away.

I've had a few snap and destroy 30lb braid (when I did not have my drag re-set properly like a moron). You would think after years of fishing you would automatically re-set your drag up everytime you start. yeah right.

I can tell you, without a doubt, Wabamun is a good candidate.
I saw a dude get spooled with 50 lb line at the power plant inlet. It was pretty funny, I bet he set his drag too loose though because pike, even big ones, don't usually run for a long distance.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm with Wayne on this one Newell, Rattlesnake, Forty mile, Chin, St. Mary's, even the bow between the forks and Strathmore. Lots of food long growing season and cold deep water in the heat of summer. Personal best is 27 out of Rattlesnake, but have heard of divers stories on Forty mile and Chin.
As noted these big fish eat a diet that is very hard to mimic, we regularly used home made plugs between 8 and 12 in. and didn't even notice a drop in smaller fish caught. If we still regularly catch the little tykes what is needed to mimic a meal for a forty pounder? I think the reason the bigger fish are usually caught ice fishing is that their metabolism is down a bit and they find the smaller dead baits acceptable. Just my thoughts.
I have thought many times about this & I suspect if one fished a lot of BIG baits (like 16oz Bulldawgs & various 16"-18" crankbaits) your catch rates will plummet but average size caught will be very impressive! I have wanted to spend a whole summer doing just that but first of all I need heavier gear & second I need the faith & will power to spend a whole summer fishing that way lol.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM

what about winefred lake? I havent fished there for about 10yrs but i remember pulling in some nice pike there
Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

seriously folks, if your favorite lake isn't crusted right now (and if it is, some ice will bust up by afternoon,, Friday is s'posed to be windy in southern Alberta, perfect bust up conditions), the big guys are hanging near shore, big white/red len thompsons are producing. Get off the Internet and go fishing NOW!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Ya, I believe u did lol. I ventured out on the yak twice but the wind was not friendly both days. Never managed any fish, just ended up cruising the lake. I will find them, just gotta put forth a decent effort which I don't think I really have...yet. Plan to hit it next once the ice arrives.
450#s - maybe that's why I can't find emJK.
Cheers n GL!
That was a Few years back,so who knows.another time 7 years ago,My cousin even caught one off the dam at Murray using a jig n minnow,it went 5 pounds.

Another good lake that does'nt have too many walleye but some real monster's is Tilly B resivour.Buddy caught a 10 pound eye ball through the ice there last year,and every year my uncle catches some decent size walleye through the ice useing his gill nets

Very big Pike and whitefish in tilly B aswell!!! Very Big Pike!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Surely a Pike that big can't taste good. Kind of a shame to keep such large Pike. Nice fish anyways.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM

wow nice fish. why would you keep three that size right before the spawn? kind of sad
Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 PM

i agree..like i said it was a guy from work and not me..i personally dont keep many fish and if i do keep a pike or two its always the average sized ones...they taste much better in my opinion
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM

What bait did he use for those? Small dogs?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 AM

not to sure what he used..ya small dogs sounds a bit right..maybe a poodle or somthing lol...but whatever they used must have been big..im guessing 10 or 12 inch herring or somthing
Old 11-06-2010, 11:19 AM

The 28.5 looks like she just ate a small dog. What a belly! Those are three awesome fish.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Hate to disagree. We pulled a 28 pound pike out in the middle of the summer and she swallowed the hook. It was dead. After we bonless filtted it it was freaking great.. best tasting fish of the season so far
Old 11-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
Hate to disagree. We pulled a 28 pound pike out in the middle of the summer and she swallowed the hook. It was dead. After we bonless filtted it it was freaking great.. best tasting fish of the season so far
ya it would really all depend on if the fish was healthy and what kind of lake it came from..plus middle of summer it wouldnt be full of eggs..come spring that same fish would likly be a 35 lb'er if it was a female. but in spring this one was likly a female and full of eggs.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Default biggest pike out there in alberta

A British pike fisherman once wrote big pike thrive on neglect. If you kill a 20 it will never be a 30 and so on. With commercial fishing, domestic fishing and catch and kill sport fishing its hard for a pike with the right genetics to grow over 50 pounds. I think the conditions in many southern reservoirs could produce 50 maybe 60 pound fish, but that would take living for 20 years or so. A slot limit protecting fish between 28 and 50 inches might help.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblebear View Post
A British pike fisherman once wrote big pike thrive on neglect. If you kill a 20 it will never be a 30 and so on. With commercial fishing, domestic fishing and catch and kill sport fishing its hard for a pike with the right genetics to grow over 50 pounds. I think the conditions in many southern reservoirs could produce 50 maybe 60 pound fish, but that would take living for 20 years or so. A slot limit protecting fish between 28 and 50 inches might help.
i agree with you except for the part about commercial fishing.85% of the fish caught in Alberta's commercial Fishing Nets are Whitefish.

As you know whitefish Tend to be mainly bottom feeder's and inturn eat the eggs of game fish.If some lakes were'nt commercial fished in alberta,where whitefish Run Rampant,there would be no pike and walleye because the whitefish would eat all there eggs.So according to biologist,commecial fishing these lakes that are polluted with whitefish is a must for the game fishes survival!!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblebear View Post
I think pike should be topped out at 48 inches myself maybe allow the fish if its a world record at the time and you would have to register it. not just eat it.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM

There are some 40 - 45+ Pike out there, trouble is they didn't get that big by being stupid. I too have seen some monster Jacks ice fishing in Sylvan & Gull Lake. Sylvan simply has too much food for these big guys to take much interest in a smelt. You take a look around at the number of people fishing these places and if a fish that big was going to bite it would have by now. I think if you want big pike your best bet is to fish somewhere remote with zero fishing pressure.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post

why keep a fish like this?
Well you ever tryed pulling a herion with two trebels out of a pikes gut , thats why the fish came home otherwise it would have went back like the rest of them
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post

why keep a fish like this?
BECAUSE ITS LEGAL , AND THEY TASTE GOOD.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Default why people keep big fish

The message boards are not here for some "high on the horse" people to judge who is taking what size of fish home. If the reg's allow it, who are you to judge. that being said 99% of the time I C&R. I Never keep pike and will only keep a walleye or big perch on a rare occasion. BUT If you have ever caught any pike over 15lbs you know they immeadiatly swallow the entire hook right into their gut. I know from personal experience that you cannot remove a 6" Spoon from a pikes belly, better to take it and enjoy it then leave it to die.........this forum is for people to post fishing experiences and PICTURES dont be jerks and make people feel like crap.....it will kill AOF!!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
The message boards are not here for some "high on the horse" people to judge who is taking what size of fish home. If the reg's allow it, who are you to judge. that being said 99% of the time I C&R. I Never keep pike and will only keep a walleye or big perch on a rare occasion. BUT If you have ever caught any pike over 15lbs you know they immeadiatly swallow the entire hook right into their gut. I know from personal experience that you cannot remove a 6" Spoon from a pikes belly, better to take it and enjoy it then leave it to die.........this forum is for people to post fishing experiences and PICTURES dont be jerks and make people feel like crap.....it will kill AOF!!!!!
Sorry pophoserman, i must correct you. I have caught multiple pike over 15lbs and have lip hooked everyone? I have never had a pike swallow a lure into its belly except in the winter when using tip-ups. If you are fishing with a rod and reel there is no excuse to gut hook a pike.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
There are some 40 - 45+ Pike out there, trouble is they didn't get that big by being stupid. I too have seen some monster Jacks ice fishing in Sylvan & Gull Lake. Sylvan simply has too much food for these big guys to take much interest in a smelt. You take a look around at the number of people fishing these places and if a fish that big was going to bite it would have by now. I think if you want big pike your best bet is to fish somewhere remote with zero fishing pressure.
I share a simliar philosphy however i have done many fly-in trips and spent large amount of $'s only to catch average size pike. I don't think those Northern Lakes are jammed full of as many big fish as one may think, the colder water also plays a significant role in a slower growth rate. I think the large pike in Sylvan are more like scavengers than hunters. They cruise the bottom in late afternoon early evening cleaning up all the bait that has was disgarded when everyone goes home for the day.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post

It's a moral issue. People who keep large pike should just take measurements and let the fish go...People wonder why alberta lakes are suffering,this is a big reason why...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren77 View Post
It's a moral issue. People who keep large pike should just take measurements and let the fish go...People wonder why alberta lakes are suffering,this is a big reason why...
Moral issues and personal choice are 2 different things, you might want to look that up. I am still undecided if I am ever lucky enough to get moby through the ice whether I will keep her or let her go, If I want a fake mount I could get one made without even leaving the house.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Moral issues and personal choice are 2 different things, you might want to look that up. I am still undecided if I am ever lucky enough to get moby through the ice whether I will keep her or let her go, If I want a fake mount I could get one made without even leaving the house.
The debate over keeping really big fish in regards to morality issues is certainly a thought provoking one which will always be a highly volatile & personal to say the least. Most people will never get to land a 30lb+ pike so regulations permitting , it's the rare angler & the angler alone who has the complete right to decide whether the fish lives or dies. I suspect that a lot of people who look down their noses on those who keep a trophy do so mostly out of jealousy & contempt.

I have been lucky enough to land a 20lb, 21lb, & 27lb pike so far in my angling exsistance. I kept the 20lber for a mount because it was the biggest pike I had ever seen before & couldn't envision catching a bigger one ever so I got it stuffed. Since then my "bloodlust" has diminished substantially & I have released any big pike after that. My fishing buddy has yet to land a trophy pike but he insists that when he does it will get stuffed & put on his wall for sure. I have been trying to convince him to get a replica instead & just mount the fish with a couple photos along side for proof In the end it will be his decision & I won't reprimand him for mounting it!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Im not sure how keeping a smaller pike, which would have most of its life ahead of it is any better than keeping say a 40 or bigger pike that in all likelihood will die of natural causes in a relatively short time? What if the younger pike had the genes from the bigger fish, and in the same lifespan would grow to an even larger size than its parent? Maybe the government should just drop the limit to one pike, if you are fishing to feed your family take home one that will feed them all. If you are just fishing for fun, and release everything you catch, this still gives you the opportunity to keep a trophy fish if you are that fortunate. Putting them in a catch and release category will never work, because people are going to keep pike to eat no matter what the law is. Just my long winded opinion.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM

I have a 32lb. pike on my wall that came from Tobin Lake 29 years ago! I also have a 12lb. walleye from the same lake, caught on the same day. A 22inch grayling from the Kakisa River hangs on the same wall. There is also a 26lb. laker from Cold Lake there too. Yes, I do enjoy taking large fish and keeping them, because they were all taken legally.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM

Love to see a pic of that pike!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds