Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Default Best all around knife?

In the market for a hunting knife. I have tried Gerber, Old Timer, Remington, and Buck knives. All do the job but I am looking for something better. I would like to find one that actually holds an edge for more than 10 minutes. I have heard about serrated knives that you send away every couple years to get sharpened.

Any ideas??
Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 PM

I used to like my big kershaw, til I lost it but I also have a pocket version that I'm quite fond of. Gutted my first elk with it, 10 minutes after I lost my big one
Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 PM

I use a Ruko. Can't find this model anymore. Cleaned 7 animals the first year without resharpening. Last year I gutted my moose, cut off the head, then cut it in half to drag it out. It had enough edge to skin the moose after too. Can't beat that.
Personally I would stay away from the serrated ones. I don't have a ton of experience with them but that experience wasn't great.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseslayer View Post
In the market for a hunting knife. I have tried Gerber, Old Timer, Remington, and Buck knives. All do the job but I am looking for something better. I would like to find one that actually holds an edge for more than 10 minutes. I have heard about serrated knives that you send away every couple years to get sharpened.

Any ideas??
Cutco bar none. Brady convinced me so at the outdoors show this year a few of us got together and bought 3 and got the fourth for nothing....Pricy knife but man does she skin nice. The one guy in our party didn't have one and now has cutco envy........used it to break the pelvic bone no prob.....great knife..pricey but if you break it or can't sharpen it send her back they send a new one........
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Knives of Alaska is my favorite out of about 9 knives that I have,my old timer is second favorite.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM

I've used a Kershaw blade trader for 20 years, saw,guthook,skinning knife and regular blade all in one package.
I sharpen my kershaw every three or four years and it does usually a minimum of three deer a year with a moose every now and then.
I have the older style kershaw but the newer style is just as good if not better!
Just my three bitts werth...
Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 PM

I think there was a long thread on this a couple weeks ago....pictures and everything/......might be of some use to you.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthrea...862#post409862
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Default handmades

I bought a couple of handmade blades this year from a board member here and I really like them. I've yet to sharpen my hunting one . Better quality steel and a handle thats fits my hand perfect . Worth the extra money for sure
Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM

Default Best all round knife

Knives of Alaska are by far the best I've used!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Knives of alaska!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM

I've got a Ruko that was my fathers hunting knife, and a buck
Love the Ruko knife!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Knives of alaska!!!!
X5
Old 10-29-2009, 01:52 PM

Default For the $

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Cutco bar none. Brady convinced me so at the outdoors show this year a few of us got together and bought 3 and got the fourth for nothing....Pricy knife but man does she skin nice. The one guy in our party didn't have one and now has cutco envy........used it to break the pelvic bone no prob.....great knife..pricey but if you break it or can't sharpen it send her back they send a new one........
Agreed X2, except the pricey part. They are one of the best economy priced knives out there. I love mine and have had nothing but great experiences with their customer service.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 PM

If you want quality that will last forever and always hold a edge get a RUKO they are expensive but well worth it!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

In the yukon I bought a new knife I'd never heard of for about 40 bucks, the name on it was "Ontario Knife". I have since learned that they suplyed the US military with knifes in WW2 and man does that blade hold an edge. The first year I owned it I gutted and quartered a moose with it without re-sharpening. Usualy I switch knifes half way through so I was pretty impressed. Another knife that I have that seems about as good is one my mother in law won at a Weathorford golf turnament, not sure what the brand is but it says Leipzig on the blade and the frame of the knife is a solid chunk of brass, this is my favorite folding knife.

The one bit of advice I have is stay away from any blade that has a gutting hook on it. THis is my one complaint about the Ontario Knife, the hooks on most knifes are too small to actualy work as a gutting hook and instead just get caught on all sorts of wonderfull things when your working inside an animal, avoid them like the plauge! If you want a gutting hook buy a gutting hook, trying to combine it with a knife doesnt work IMO.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spennydubs View Post
If you want quality that will last forever and always hold a edge get a RUKO they are expensive but well worth it!
I was eying up a Ruko knife just today at Crappy tire I think it was around 35 bucks. Glad to hear that their as good as the specs made them sound. maby I'll buy one when I exhaust my current collection.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM

There are a few makers at the Calgary Gun show, great products from the two I tried, the "BC Van Is." guy appeared to have the product that fit my want, it works great. If your interested I see if I can find the makers name. It seems to me that $300 - $400 / knife is what he wants.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:50 PM

fallkniven f1, rat cutlery rc3 or 4, or one of the bark river knives.
i've got a rat rc4 and a rat izula, great knives.
first post iam a newbie
Old 12-19-2009, 07:50 AM

Default Swingblade

I sell a few lines of knives and the outdoor edge swing blade is getting really positive reviews for both holding an edge as well as the usefulness of the gutting blade. You can check it out online, or PM me if you want more information
Old 12-19-2009, 02:37 PM

My Greber "Gator" has proven itself to me. Nice rubber handle that fits in the hand real well and it doesnt slip when wet. The blade is strong and hard, holds an edge forever. It gutted, skinned, quartered and caped a moose without touch up. This year I done three deer and never touched a steel. I like it. I will buy another one. And yes, I do recommend it.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Thumbs up re

outdoor edge kodi knives are by far the best ive used i own many expensive knives you wont go wrong there.......
Old 12-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Gone Hunting

One knife to do it all? Tough order. I have used several over the years and found some good ones, but not really one for all.

Here's one I've heard lots of good about . but it is for a specific purpose.

http://www.havalon.com/?gclid=CPO48K...FREeDQodOH48NQ

I have a folding Schrade bear paw that has served me well. The closest i've come to an all round blade is my Puma White hunter. i prefer smaller to larger, but this knife is so well balanced and made that it is a joy to use.

Knives of Alaska are well regarded. I have a friend who has a fixed blade camp knife from them and I would buy it if I needed another knife. It is a knife to use every day for just about anything.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned

I'm hoping the Grohman #1 is the best all around knife since I just ordered one.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I'm hoping the Grohman #1 is the best all around knife since I just ordered one.
You will not be dissapointed, Cal. Probably the only knife I own that hasn't 'bit' me yet, so it's my favourite hands down.

Tree

Edit: Here's a matched set TheClash did for me that are personal favs and were just awesome this season.

Last edited by TreeGuy; 12-19-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:19 PM

That reminds me, I gotta send a blank to the Clash!!
Cat
Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
You will not be dissapointed, Cal. Probably the only knife I own that hasn't 'bit' me yet, so it's my favourite hands down.

Tree

Edit: Here's a matched set TheClash did for me that are personal favs and were just awesome this season.

At first I didnt like the looks of it, kinda looked like weird kitchen knife. Then It dawned on me, I've never found myself wishing I had a clip point on a butter knife, never found myself wishing my paring knife was a couple inches longer or wishing or that my cleaver had a drop point. Unlike most hunting and tactical knives kitchen kinves arent designed to look cool, just to do their job efficiantly. At that point the grohman started to make alot more sense.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM

Folding Kershaw that I received from my father on my 16th birthday. 1985

Gutted 3 deer this year with it. Was dull at the end though.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
I've used a Kershaw blade trader for 20 years, saw,guthook,skinning knife and regular blade all in one package.
I sharpen my kershaw every three or four years and it does usually a minimum of three deer a year with a moose every now and then.
I have the older style kershaw but the newer style is just as good if not better!
Just my three bitts werth...
My swivel that clips in the blades gave out on me this year while sawing the pelvic bone of my cow elk Tossed all in the garbage, i would never buy another inter-changeable knife system again.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Buck Special