Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Default Which scope for Browning BLR?

Hi everyone,

Some of you saw that I bought a Browning BLR in 7-08 a couple of weeks ago. I had a great feedback from you guys and it helped to make a decision. (This was the thread).

I have mentioned in the thread that I was planning to put a scope on this gun and had one that would have to do for now. The scope I was talking about was offered to me by my cousin-in-law to borrow for as long as I needed it. Well, what he did not tell me is that the scope is 6-18x50! Needless to say, I didn't even bother looking at it.

Now I am looking for a scope. These are the scopes I was looking at:

Zeiss Terra 3x 2-7x42
Zeiss Terra 3x 3-9x42
Leupold VX-1 2-7x28
Leupold VX-2 1.5-4x28
Leupold VX-2 2-7x33
Leupold VX-1 3-9x50 (questionable, but is porbably best of all options in low light? but will probably look ugly as hell on the gun?)

What are your thoughts about it?

I am leaning towards either Zeiss 2-7 or Leupold 1.5-4.

I really like the set up some else posted in a recent thread (New rig setup, I think was the thread or something like this).

Also, if anyone knows is there is a great deal to be had somewhere, I am all ears

Thanks all!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Forgot to mention that if you guys have other ideas, I am open to them
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 PM

I have a leupold vx111 3.5-10/40 on my 300wsm blr. It's good for way down south here but if I was hunting in more tree'd areas I would have went with something that offers a lower magnification. Depends on how far you planning on shooting. Farther distance and a higher zoom is preferred. If not going to be shooting farther then one with a lower magnification would be preferred
And ya a 50mm tube would look kind of gay on one.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 PM

I'd go for the vx-2 in either of the magnifications you mentioned. I've been using a Bushnell Elite in 2-7x on my main hunting rifle for over a decade now and its done everything that can really been asked of a scope. Good performance in rain, good in low light, its stood up to some pretty rough use, and there's plenty of magnification to take any shot I've needed too, quick target acquisition in the thick timber that I generally prefer hunting in.

That said the Elite is a fair bit heavyer that a Leupold vx2, and I can see the larger eye box being a nice feature, though I don't have any trouble with the shorter eye releif. Another good choice would be the Leupold ultra light series, not quite the same eye relief as the vx-2 but from everything I've read very good performance from a very light scope.

The last few years I've been playing around with the idea of using a fixed 4x, I would miss the lower magnification but I wonder if the consistant eye relief and sight picture, as well as the inability to leave it turned up accidently, might make up for that.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, looks like I also forgot to mention how far I am planning to shoot. I mentioned it in the other thread and I guess I assumed that everyone saw it and remembered

It is definitely mostly bush hunting and I doubt there will be shots made beyond 100-150 yards mark. Heck, make it 300 yards, which will probably not make much difference in selection.

I was thinking about a fixed magnification as well. But not really sure.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 PM

My old eyes were very happy when I finally mounted a 4x33 fixed Leupold, and it looks ‘right’ on my BLR.
I also have VERY nice 6x36 fixed Swarovski with a fine duplex that is nicer for 250m targets,
and a 6x36 Weaver K6 that was too good a bargain to pass.

The 4x33 has an 8mm exit pupil, and the 6x36 have 6mm, which is more than my old eye can use,
but does make for a bigger eye-box and easier target acquisition.
(A typical 3-9x40 will only have 4.4mm, and the 3-9x50 has 5.5mm which is less than a 6x36)

Fixed magnification scopes are smaller, and lighter, with fewer moving parts, and the optical design will have fewer compromises.
Good condition used, are often a VERY good bargain.

For your intended range a fixed 4x may be ideal and good ones can be found for <$100.
The old Bushnell Scopechief VI 4x32 was made in Japan, and is often inexpensive good value that is well worth trying.

Newer good quality fixed scopes will have better lens coatings.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 PM

A 2x7 glass would look very nice on the rifle. Just me, but I like scopes that seem to be right sized for the rifle.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 PM

Nikon Pro Staff 3-9 or 2-7

There are no absolutes
Old 09-07-2017, 10:11 PM

From your list I would pick the 1.5 x 4.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:00 PM

Yes that was my setup i posted. I find 4 power plenty on big game out to 300 yds, and having 1 on the bottom is awesome for anything fast and close. So my pick would be the 1-4, maybe even a 2-7 if you really want. And i'm usually a little partial to leupold
Old 09-08-2017, 12:02 PM

just noticed the 1.5-4 you posted is a scout scope. Some like em, but I'm not a fan myself
Old 09-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, looks like I also forgot to mention how far I am planning to shoot. I mentioned it in the other thread and I guess I assumed that everyone saw it and remembered

It is definitely mostly bush hunting and I doubt there will be shots made beyond 100-150 yards mark. Heck, make it 300 yards, which will probably not make much difference in selection.

I was thinking about a fixed magnification as well. But not really sure.
IMO the 1.5-4.5 for the distances you are talking about.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

The VX-2 fit well on those rifles. You can use the low Leupold rings nicely.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
The VX-2 fit well on those rifles. You can use the low Leupold rings nicely.

I ended up having to use the high rings in 30mm so my thumb had clearance on the hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Banned

I have Leupold QRW 30mm low rings with a VXR 3-9x40 as well with no issues.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:03 PM

No love for zeiss? They are very nice scopes.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:25 AM

One of my favorite hunting scopes is the leupold VXll 2x7 . Great power range for both low end and high end . 2x is good for close work and 7 x is good for what my comfort range at high end . Good light gathering for the size

Probably what I like most is the size as it can be mounted nice and low. Makes for nice cheek weld on stock while looking thru scope . This is being overlooked these days with the "monster" scopes. Don't get me wrong those scopes have their place .r
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 AM

I have the same rifle in .308.
It currently has a Bushnell Elite 4200 on it, 3-9x40. Great scope, very underrated in my opinion.
Before that scope, I briefly had a Redfield 2-7x33 which was also very nice. I put that scope on my .22
Old 09-09-2017, 08:02 AM

Default Scope

I would suggest a 2x7, for your application. I like the Bushnel Elite scopes, which once in a while they offer some very good discounts/ rebates on. But the brand Really is a personal preference.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:28 AM

I suggest objective of 32, 33 or 36. I mounted the VX3 in 2X8X36 on Tally mid.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Default scope

I use the Leo VX2 2-7 x 33 on both my BLRs - a 358 and a 450 with Quick detach rings so i can still use the Irons if needed ! - I find they work perfect ! jmo RJ

Another nice scope is the Leo VX 3 1.75-6 x 32 !
Old 09-09-2017, 03:13 PM

I use a Burris Scout scope on mine. It is 2x7 very light and compact. Happy with it
Old 09-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I greatly appreciate it.

Dick284, I have Nikon binoculars and the scope on my .22 is a Nikon. I figured I will try something new.

Ken3134 and Fwee6, I have no personal experience with Bushnell (except for some cheap binoculars long time ago), but I have heard some bad things about it and not sure I want to buy one. In general, for whatever reson, I associate Bushnell with Walmart, which is not a good thing (don't know why).

t.tinsmith, I have never looked through a Burris scope. Maybe I will look into it a little more.

I am surprised only one person suggested Zeiss. Is there anything wrong with it? I looked through Zeiss on my cousin's rifle and I was amazed how much light comes through when it is practically dark. I took my first whitetail (second deer, mule was first) with that gun with that scope on it

Is it just the warranty that Leupold has or is it that much better since pretty much everyone suggested it?

I am leaning towards Leupold 2-7 at this, though before reading through your suggestions I was thinking to get Zeiss 2-7 or 3-9. I am fairly new to this whole thing, so don't judge too harshly

I have another question for BLR owners. How did you mount the scope on? Did use a picatinni rail or rings straight up? I was looking into the rails and the only one I found was this one. I would appreciate any suggestions in regards to mounting. What rings (or rail and rings) did you use?

If you guys post some pics of your set up, it would awesome.

Again, thanks to all.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:46 AM

Probably the reason the ziess has not be mentioned much as most of us don't have much experience with them . I'm sure they would be great , I'm not sure of the size in comparison to the leupold .

As for bases and rings for a low mount , nothing fancy but they hold well, weaver bases and low weaver rings
Old 09-10-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Probably the reason the ziess has not be mentioned much as most of us don't have much experience with them . I'm sure they would be great , I'm not sure of the size in comparison to the leupold .

As for bases and rings for a low mount , nothing fancy but they hold well, weaver bases and low weaver rings
I don't have a lot of experience with Ziess, though I do have one on a 243 Tikka. I believe it is a 2.5x10x44, my honest opinion it's a name you pay a lot of money for. It certainly is a good scope. It came on the rifle that I bought second hand and the guy paid $1400.00 for it. My main rifle has a Bushnell Elite 4500 and I would take it over the Ziess, and it can be bought for IDK maybe $600-$700.
As for the bases, Weaver #25 front and back, will keep it simple.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Should also mention..... All the discussion on different brands... Which is best, etc. Make sure you look before you buy as is may be surprising that a highly recommended scope may not be all that impressive to you when you look through it! Hence my experience with my Ziess, that said maybe I have too high of expectations thinking about the price tag that the thing had.
At a NY rate you will have a nice right there in the end.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Should also mention..... All the discussion on different brands... Which is best, etc. Make sure you look before you buy as is may be surprising that a highly recommended scope may not be all that impressive to you when you look through it! Hence my experience with my Ziess, that said maybe I have too high of expectations thinking about the price tag that the thing had.
At a NY rate you will have a nice right there in the end.
I agree. Hard to pick a scope for another person's eyes. You will get different choices from different people as to which scope looks the best to them. Not quite like picking out socks, or is it? LOL Zeiss usually doesn't make my list.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
snip
As for the bases, Weaver #25 front and back, will keep it simple.
IIRC,
The Weaver #25 bases are flat on top and block the view of the factory iron sights when the scope is removed.
The Weaver #54 bases have a low center channel that provides view of the factory iron sights when the scope is removed.

I have also used a longer #57 base (requires drilling one new hole) to provide an increased spread needed by some scopes.

The newer Browning tactical SXP shotgun has a very nice P-rail with an integral rear ghost ring, that looks like it would work well, but
I have not been able to purchase one to try (on both my BLR & SXP) as Browning REFUSES to provide any Email address for communication or purchasing parts. I have purchased several new Browning firearms, but this alone will prevent me from purchasing any more.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:09 AM

I have a number of Zeiss scopes. I do not care for the Terra, it is not near the quality of the Conquest or Divari. They also have a fairly short warranty.

My BLR in 308 had a 3x9x40 Leupold. You can get a Matte Black VX-II used, in perfect shape, for $350. About the perfect all round scope, only weighs 12 ounces and is only 12 inches long. They look perfect on the BLR. With the plex reticle you are good from 25 yards to 600, no problem.

With the Leupold transferable Lifetime warranty it is hard to beat that combo of price, optical quality and function.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Once again, thank you all for the input! I greatly appreciate it!

It looks like it is going to be Leupold VX-2 2-7 or 3-9 (likely the former).

Now, some of you mentioned that the low rings will be perfect. However, Gade81 mentioned that he had put the high rings on due to clearance of the hammer. I was thinking about it before anyone mentioned it and now I am not sure what to do. I think I would prefer low rings to high, but I do want to have an easy access to the hammer. What do you guys think? Most likely the rings I am taking are Leupold QWR, not 100% sure yet though.

Also, do you think gloss or matte would look better on the white gold BLR? It does not really matter to me, but it looks like, for whatever reason, matte rings are more expensive than the gloss ones and it is the other way around with the scope. So in the end the price difference between the set ups is negligible. Go figure.

Thank you!