Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you carry a pistol.
Yes I would carry. 534 73.55%
No, I'll just stick to pepper spray. 83 11.43%
I would carry both 109 15.01%
Voters: 726. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Default Would you carry?

Let's just keep the opinions out of it and lt the numbers speak for themselves. Question is, lets say the law enabled RPAL holders to get a Wilderness ATC, to carry a firearm on crown land (Without being a trapper or work duties) West of the 5th meridian during any hunting season, firearm must be a minimum .40, would you purchaseone and carry it? Nothing would change as far as transport goes except no ATT req, just RPAL and a valid hunting licence be it archery or rifle.

Last edited by SkytopBrewster; 05-06-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM

edit
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Banned

I am all for it
Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Banned

YOU BET I WOULD!!!!!!

And it should be granted to hunters....it's foolishness not to.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM

I would certainly carry a handgun if allowed- a nice TC in something like a257Bob would be fantastic for deer - oh, you mean for protection??!!
Dunno, haven't much thought about it......
Cat
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Never for protection. Canada's been fine without it. Think of the kind of people that would take interest in guns. Scary stuff

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM

I dream of the day when you can carry while hunting. It will happen one day.... Maybe.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM

I would really like to be able to carry a small .22 for grouse and rabbits when I'm out hunting big game. I already have a rifle handy so I don't see the need for any more bear protection than that. But to be able to bring home/back to camp a few more grouse would be great. I'm not interested in the 40 cal minimum though, if that were one of the requirements then no I wouldn't be interested.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM

Bear protection
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM

If it was a permit to carry, only while in the woods, while hunting/fishing for protection

Absolutely.

As others have said, would be great for bear baiting and fly fishing.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose
Carry is straight up dumb!

Guess nobody cares about your opinion.

I would carry around the farm every day, there's always something to shoot.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Let's just keep the opinions out of it and lt the numbers speak for themselves. Question is, lets say the law enabled RPAL holders to get a Wilderness ATC, to carry a firearm on crown land (Without being a trapper or work duties) West of the 5th meridian during any hunting season, firearm must be a minimum .40, would you purchaseone and carry it? Nothing would change as far as transport goes except no ATT req, just RPAL and a valid hunting licence be it archery or rifle.
I knew it would not work that way.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Banned

I would like to be able to carry a .22 pistol while hunting big game. I don't want to have to carry two rifles, one for big game, and one for chickens. I want to be able to carry a .22 pistol on my hip for the chickens.

If I was just out back packing or hiking, I don't need a pistol for bears. I have had enough experience with them to know for the most part, they are more scared of you then you are of them. From the training I have had on bear protection, bear spray and bangers are more effective most of the time. If a bear is still interested after using spray and bangers, then it probably is not your day anyways, and a pistol unless hitting him in the right spot is only going to make it worse. You would be far better off carrying a shotgun if you want protection.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned

Cool

Whew,thought I was in a form where freedom of speech was held in some regard . Oh then I remembered hand gun owners are such a tiny minority 2.5% of the populace.their voice is unlightly to be heard ....ever. sorry lads with the smallest effort an ignorant such as my self can see and find fact that hand guns for what ever reason whether intent , general poor ownership choices, carry a earned stigma of poor usage . That one cannot find for rifles or shotguns. One way to change that , stand up for your rights . All the power to ya and if one unlightly day pistols are easy to purchase and carry ill get me a.22mag for chooks. Peace out.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Whew,thought I was in a form where freedom of speech was held in some regard . Oh then I remembered hand gun owners are such a tiny minority 2.5% of the populace.their voice is unlightly to be heard ....ever. sorry lads with the smallest effort an ignorant such as my self can see and find fact that hand guns for what ever reason whether intent , general poor ownership choices, carry a earned stigma of poor usage . That one cannot find for rifles or shotguns. One way to change that , stand up for your rights . All the power to ya and if one unlightly day pistols are easy to purchase and carry ill get me a.22mag for chooks. Peace out.

Gunner auto correct is not doing you any favors.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Good lord! I haven't seen this thread in 3 days and when I check back Fish Gunner is pushing 40% of the posts by himself and still trolling hard.

Go for the record man! GO!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Good lord! I haven't seen this thread in 3 days and when I check back Fish Gunner is pushing 40% of the posts by himself and still trolling hard.

Go for the record man! GO!

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Gunner, besides the rescue in the other thread here is a heart warming story from Ontario yesterday. We already doubled your stats for bears and the little rascals are just waking up for the season.

TIMMINS, Ontario. -- Two Timmins, Ontario, women scared off a 400-pound black bear attacking a man after it had killed his dog and left him with wounds that needed 300 stitches.

"I could feel his teeth rubbing against my skull. That was the worst feeling ever," said Azougar, 30, said Sunday from his hospital bed at Lady Minto Hospital in Cochrane, Ontario.

Azougar was attacked and mauled by the bear early Saturday as he sat on the front step of his remote cabin eating breakfast. He was rescued by the two Timmins "angels", campers who had been driving by on a bush road and heard his screams.

They were able to scare the bear away and drive the bleeding Azougar to hospital.

"I feel good. I am in a little bit of pain, but I'm OK," said Azougar, who had been given a shot of morphine to ease the pain of the more than 300 stitches needed to close dozens of puncture wounds.

Surrounded by family and friends on Sunday, Azougar said he still plans to enjoy life in the outdoors.

He moved to Cochrane, Ontario, from Toronto last month, to set up an Internet entrepreneur business."I was having breakfast on my front porch," he said as he described the tiny eight-by-sixteen foot cabin on a remote bush road, about 10 kilometres south of Cochrane.

"Out of nowhere, I could hear this thud, this vibration on the ground," he said. "Then there was this bear coming towards me."

His German Shepherd rushed at the bear and as the two animals fought, Azougar ran into the cabin and slammed the door but the bear followed.

"He started rushing the window, breaking the window and chipping off wood beside the window," Azougar said."He made it through (the window) and I ran out," he said, with the bear in pursuit. "After about 30 metres, he took me to the ground."

Azougar said the animal slammed him down with its front paws, and began clawing and biting.

"He knocked me down and I covered my head. He took my shoulder apart, then he peeled the skin off my head and started biting my skull," Azougar recalled. "I could feel his teeth rubbing against my skull. That was the worst feeling ever. I jammed my thumb into his eye and so he went back to my shoulder."

"I was just screaming. I could feel my flesh being pulled by his teeth," he said, adding that a good portion of his scalp was torn off.

"I just thought I was dying. He was trying to drag me into the bush, like where he killed the dog."Azougar said he thought he was going to pass out, when suddenly there was a lull in the savage attack and the sound of a blaring car horn.

"Out of nowhere these two ladies showed up in a car. After that the bear ran away. I don't know who they were," Azougar said. "They just showed up out of nowhere."

"The women that saved, me, no I don't know them. I would like to know them, to meet them," Azougar said. "If you meet them, you thank those angels for me. They are my angels. Without them I wouldn't be alive."

Ontario Provincial Police and the Ministry of Natural Resources responded to the bear attack call immediately Saturday and killed the bear.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Hey Gunner, besides the rescue in the other thread here is a heart warming story from Ontario yesterday. We already doubled your stats for bears and the little rascals are just waking up for the season.

TIMMINS, Ontario. -- Two Timmins, Ontario, women scared off a 400-pound black bear attacking a man after it had killed his dog and left him with wounds that needed 300 stitches.

"I could feel his teeth rubbing against my skull. That was the worst feeling ever," said Azougar, 30, said Sunday from his hospital bed at Lady Minto Hospital in Cochrane, Ontario.

Azougar was attacked and mauled by the bear early Saturday as he sat on the front step of his remote cabin eating breakfast. He was rescued by the two Timmins "angels", campers who had been driving by on a bush road and heard his screams.

They were able to scare the bear away and drive the bleeding Azougar to hospital.

"I feel good. I am in a little bit of pain, but I'm OK," said Azougar, who had been given a shot of morphine to ease the pain of the more than 300 stitches needed to close dozens of puncture wounds.

Surrounded by family and friends on Sunday, Azougar said he still plans to enjoy life in the outdoors.

He moved to Cochrane, Ontario, from Toronto last month, to set up an Internet entrepreneur business."I was having breakfast on my front porch," he said as he described the tiny eight-by-sixteen foot cabin on a remote bush road, about 10 kilometres south of Cochrane.

"Out of nowhere, I could hear this thud, this vibration on the ground," he said. "Then there was this bear coming towards me."

His German Shepherd rushed at the bear and as the two animals fought, Azougar ran into the cabin and slammed the door but the bear followed.

"He started rushing the window, breaking the window and chipping off wood beside the window," Azougar said."He made it through (the window) and I ran out," he said, with the bear in pursuit. "After about 30 metres, he took me to the ground."

Azougar said the animal slammed him down with its front paws, and began clawing and biting.

"He knocked me down and I covered my head. He took my shoulder apart, then he peeled the skin off my head and started biting my skull," Azougar recalled. "I could feel his teeth rubbing against my skull. That was the worst feeling ever. I jammed my thumb into his eye and so he went back to my shoulder."

"I was just screaming. I could feel my flesh being pulled by his teeth," he said, adding that a good portion of his scalp was torn off.

"I just thought I was dying. He was trying to drag me into the bush, like where he killed the dog."Azougar said he thought he was going to pass out, when suddenly there was a lull in the savage attack and the sound of a blaring car horn.

"Out of nowhere these two ladies showed up in a car. After that the bear ran away. I don't know who they were," Azougar said. "They just showed up out of nowhere."

"The women that saved, me, no I don't know them. I would like to know them, to meet them," Azougar said. "If you meet them, you thank those angels for me. They are my angels. Without them I wouldn't be alive."

Ontario Provincial Police and the Ministry of Natural Resources responded to the bear attack call immediately Saturday and killed the bear.
No one died? And no fire arm was used in the rescue?? I do feel there is a little more to the story as why would a hungty bear not just eat the dog. Details my man details . Do you in your wisdom of the wild, honestly believe dude was sitting on the porch and a bear went throught a shepard and a window to attack the man ?? And still no gun was used to save him how is this even possible.
Oh and just a little tidbit 4000+ gun related deaths in the US since sandy hook. Hmmm ill take bears any day . At no point has a fatality occured due to Ia bear attack in canada since 2009 at sundre.wanna bet how many gun accidents resulting in death have occured in that time.
please stop trying to use the op's intent to shadow the fact if you could,you in my estimation just want to have a pistol on your hip . Why not just move to Tx they still have the death penalty, you just might be in the majority .

Last edited by fish gunner; 05-13-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Oh and just a little tidbit 4000+ gun related deaths in the US since sandy hook. Hmmm ill take bears any day .
Just another little tidbit; us not carrying handguns in the back country isn't going to save those people.

Hmmm, You may take the bears or the bears may take you.....it will be the bears choice not yours.

Last edited by MK2750; 05-13-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
No one died? And no fire arm was used in the rescue?? I do feel there is a little more to the story as why would a hungty bear not just eat the dog. Details my man details . Do you in your wisdom of the wild, honestly believe dude was sitting on the porch and a bear went throught a shepard and a window to attack the man ?? And still no gun was used to save him how is this even possible.
Oh and just a little tidbit 4000+ gun related deaths in the US since sandy hook. Hmmm ill take bears any day . At no point has a fatality occured due to Ia bear attack in canada since 2009 at sundre.wanna bet how many gun accidents resulting in death have occured in that time.
please stop trying to use the op's intent to shadow the fact if you could,you in my estimation just want to have a pistol on your hip . Why not just move to Tx they still have the death penalty, you just might be in the majority .
The guy was eating breakfast when attacked on the porch of his cabin. The dog gave him time to get into the cabin(where there should have been a gun) and the bear followed him in after killing the dog.

Read the post where the guy is driving his thumb into the bears eye to try and save himself. Can you honestly say you wouldn't want or use a firearm in this situation.