Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Default hunting with dogs question

Taking the brit pup out for the first time tomorrow and hoping to find some grouse.

My question is... what if we see some big game - I still have deer and elk tags to fill. Can I leash the dog and hand her over to my wife or kids (who are not hunting) and then go after them, or is this considered hunting with a dog? What if they head back to the truck with the dog?

I've read the regs but it doesn't say anything about non hunters along for a walk, leashed vs. non-leashed dogs, etc

Should I even bother bringing my rifle along? I'm not sure how many more chances I'll get to fill these tags...
Old 10-10-2009, 01:11 PM

You can only carry a shotgun when you are with your dog.
Carry a slug in case that throphy jump out
But you did not hear this from me
Old 10-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

The regs do not just say you cannot hunt big game with a dog, they say you cannot even be accompanied by a dog when hunting big game. (with exceptions of course)
Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM

the only big game you can have a dog is cougars i believe. not even allowed to have the dog in the truck. suck to see a trophy jump out in that case.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM

I had actually phoned F/W myself for that excact same question. They stated the quote from the regs and said I would be a lot better off leavn the dog at home as if the dog was with me(or my girlfriend had him on the leash while I chased deer) I could be in for a world of trouble. Basically no dog, hunt deer, have dog hunt birds and thats that.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM

Well, we left the rifles at home, drove towards Swan Hills and walked the cutlines. Flushed one grouse but never had a shot. Didn't see any more chickens. The pup did great and the kids had fun plinking with the pellet guns and .22's.

Saw a few does in the morning on the way up and a bull moose on the way home. Overall a great day!!!