Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Default Flurry of credit card scam calls as of late.

The automated call saying your visa or MasterCard has been compromised or a bad charge has gone through.

Anyone else seeing any?

https://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/6473177169
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-15-2019, 10:37 AM

I've gotten a flurry of emails about the netflix or amazon account being compromised.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:42 AM

I now get texts to my phone saying money has been send and I have never provided a cell number and of course no password to accept the money
Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM

The skells must need money for Christmas, all of the scams are in full overdrive, CRA phone scam, computer repair scam, you have won a trip scam and on it goes. There are literally thousands of these calls, texts and emails landing hourly in Alberta alone. Never seen the scam level at this high a rate before. Be careful and warn any older folks you know, the scammers are getting slicker and the English in the emails has improved a lot.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:13 PM

I got the automated call from CRA a week ago.
Criminal charges have been pending ever since.............
Old 10-15-2019, 03:22 PM

A while back someone was saying if they ask you a question and you say yes they record that yes and can use it for what I am not sure.
Anyone have any idea of what the can do it they record you saying yes?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:27 PM

I've had several attempts lately, automated call saying it was a collection agency and I hadn't made an agreed payment. Finally waited on the line for a person, confronted them and they hung up. Haven't been bothered since.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:48 PM

I was getting those regularly bu now they seemed to have stopped, only to be replaced by the east indian computer guy. Someone to wank from the comfort of your own home.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I was getting those regularly bu now they seemed to have stopped, only to be replaced by the east indian computer guy. Someone to wank from the comfort of your own home.
Got a new one. Email bill for service call. Asks u the pay by credit card and open attachment to see payment details. DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ANY PLACE YOU DO NOT KNOW. EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME FROM SOMEONE U KNOW CHECK THE SENDER'S ADDRESS CLOSELY.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:04 AM

I got a call recently asking about a $800.00 thing on my credit card. I was looking at the credit card on line at the time, When I mentioned that, the line went dead. OH WELL, could have saved myself $800.00.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 AM

Woke up recently to a wack of emails from my MasterCard issuer (I get alerts on purchases over $100).....19 separate Itunes purchases at $157 each...MasterCard had caught it the day before and suspended my card.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Was checking my visa account and saw 6 transactions at Winners in one day... Called them and visa said it was my wife. Asked wife- yes it was her, shopping therapy.... Damn I wish it was compromised!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I got the automated call from CRA a week ago.
Criminal charges have been pending ever since.............
They must have over 200 warrants out for me on that one. I'm surprised the SWAT team isn't staging outside my door right now....

Oh well I'll just use the money Prince Abu Whosit from Nigeria promised me to pay off my tax dept and legal bills

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-16-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Was checking my visa account and saw 6 transactions at Winners in one day... Called them and visa said it was my wife. Asked wife- yes it was her, shopping therapy.... Damn I wish it was compromised!
Had a friend of mine tell me he lost his Visa card, I asked him if he reported it stolen, he said no, the guy that found it spends way less money than his wife.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman View Post
Woke up recently to a wack of emails from my MasterCard issuer (I get alerts on purchases over $100).....19 separate Itunes purchases at $157 each...MasterCard had caught it the day before and suspended my card.
So did they some how get your credit card number, expiry date and that number on the back of the card or how did they get into your account
interested so it does not happen to me.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
So did they some how get your credit card number, expiry date and that number on the back of the card or how did they get into your account
It's a mystery
mine was used at a bed and breakfast in Ohio for $800 Mastercard phoned to ask if it was me I said no they stopped my card and sent me a new one,

The weird part I only used that card for Netflix no other charges for over a year?

Maybe they just guess?
Old 10-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Had a friend of mine tell me he lost his Visa card, I asked him if he reported it stolen, he said no, the guy that found it spends way less money than his wife.
That was the famous Rodney Dangerfield’s joke! You stole it. Lol!
Old 10-16-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That was the famous Rodney Dangerfield’s joke! You stole it. Lol!
I did!!!! And completely shamelessly too.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking someone physically read the number on the back.....all the rest of the info is free game to any business where you use it.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Common way your card gets compromised is using it at a legitimate store or restaurant that has a dishonest worker. The worker collects the CSC code off the back, expiry date and number can be retrieved from the card machine you used. For this reason, never give your card to anyone to insert into the machine, or worse yet, walk away and ring it through. Handle the card yourself, either Tap, or insert and pin, and make sure you cover your pin. Many of the workers that do this then sell the card info to someone else who runs the bogus transaction. This is what makes it very hard to track back the source of the compromise.

Another potential source is a dishonest worker in any place you order by phone. You provide them all of that information when ordering and paying by Credit Card.