Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 PM

I don't think any service is equal in any category.

Also, I think depending on what exactly ales you will change what you need.

Chiro worked great for my shoulders and forearms coupled with some accupressure. And realigning my back

Physio helped my torn achilles tendon.

Massage helps me chill and relieve sore muscles.

But what I've noticed is that no matter what the treatment is, if you do not take care of it at home it is all for nothing
Old 10-15-2019, 10:23 AM

My wife would go to chiro all the time and I said they were quacks. I needed to go for a shoulder issue, lucked out and got a good one, and went in monthly for adjustments or to fix things. That chiropractor moved and I have a new one, who is even better. They were both very knowledgeable and would't just crack me and send me on my way. They teach me stretches and explain the root cause of the issues very well. I don't go to the family doctor often, since my chiropractor is very helpful in many areas. Finding a good one is key.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Have been using a chiropractor for many years but it doesn’t seem to matter what type of back/neck issue I go in with I get the same twists and cracks done every visit. Each visit lasts approx 4 minutes then flip out the Visa for an extra fee of $55.00 before I walk out the door, which is ridiculous! Interested to try something different..
Do chiropractors all practice in the same manner along with charge the same fee?

Looking for chiro in Sherwood Park if anyone has one to recommend.
This guy isn't in Sherwood park but he is close being by Summerside just off of Henday and 91 Street. His name is Benjamin Peterson. He is not one to just crack what is sore and send you home. He will adjust your whole body and make sure everything is in line. I've tried others that were closer to home and none ever came close to fixing me up like Doc Peterson.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:37 AM

My chiropractor is very old, I will not go to the younger guys in the office, because they are not him. He is a perfectionist, compare him to a $400 steak at a fine restaurant, and the other guys are Macdonalds. He gives me 'that look' when I come in because I am 3x his size. He sighs and gets to work.

When he quits or worse we will suffer for sure.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-15-2019, 12:00 PM

I have had good luck with back pain and going to a massage therapist.

I went once every 3 weeks and I had no pain after a couple visits

I also found that a normal massage doesn’t cut it, and that a orthopaedic massage is way better than therapeutic.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I asked my Chiro about them a few years back, and he told me to absolutely try one! He said " in all honesty, for some it works, for others it doesn't. Knowing your issues, it may just help you out and save you some sessions with me"!
That was about 5 years ago, and this was the first year I never took it down south on my annual bird hunt!
My Chiropractor BTW , used to compete in strong man competitions, and sponsors then now, his wife is a massage therapist as well.
I would not be walking without pain these days if it were not for him, due to too many wrecks off the job and accumulative long term injuries on the job.
Cat
Dr MacNeil is a really good chiropractor, hes helped me out lots over the years and now i just go see him once every couple of months for a tune up. The acupuncture he incorporates now does wonders when my back is really jacked up.

Chiropractors work for sure and to answer the OP's question they are not all the same by all means, i have had some good ones over the years and some bad ones.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
They’re useless. Go see a real massage therapist. The one that does deep tissue massage, scraping and cupping. I’ve had way way better luck with them compared to a chiropractor.
So have I.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Just like any professional, there are good and bad ones.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Have been using a chiropractor for many years but it doesn’t seem to matter what type of back/neck issue I go in with I get the same twists and cracks done every visit. Each visit lasts approx 4 minutes then flip out the Visa for an extra fee of $55.00 before I walk out the door, which is ridiculous! Interested to try something different..
Do chiropractors all practice in the same manner along with charge the same fee?

Looking for chiro in Sherwood Park if anyone has one to recommend.
Went to Brentwood in SP for years and that’s what it seemed like, crack pay go. Went to Zimmerman in Ft Sask and he did nothing for me. I go to Dr Vanderleest at Parkview Chiropractic on the west end, he is amazing!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 AM

ONCE:
I walked in once and paid my $400 with the movie and all.

One back CRACK and I near puked the pain was so intense. I limped out in more pain than when I walked in.

The chiro was so scared that he offered me my a refund and free care to fix me.
With the breath I had left, took my refund and I declined the extended care.

NEVER AGAIN......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
If the practice of chiropractic was so valuable why is it there is only 1 school in all of English Canada?
You'd think universities would be clamoring for a chiropractic school same as they do for medicine.

The fact is chiro has very little redeeming medical value.
Exactly! They’re all the same - come back Mon, Wed, Fri. and keep the CC warm. You can’t prescribe medicine you’re not a Dr.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:02 PM

Never been to one and never will. Those I know that go swear by them. However I ask what they do that they like so much. They all said they went for pain then felt better and go back regularly for “maintenance visits”.

I ask why maintenance if you are going to be fixed. What is your underlying condition and are you being treated to cure it?. Most couldn’t answer it.

Seems like snapping bones and joints over stimulate nerves and provide short term pain relief.

I have found actively release massage and exercise to be very helpful and actually fix back and neck pain.

Chiropractors...I just can’t buy what they are selling.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/did...ill-katie-may/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-16-2019, 06:52 PM

I go to Dr Jason Krause in Sherwood Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Never been to one and never will. Those I know that go swear by them. However I ask what they do that they like so much. They all said they went for pain then felt better and go back regularly for “maintenance visits”.

I ask why maintenance if you are going to be fixed. What is your underlying condition and are you being treated to cure it?. Most couldn’t answer it.

Seems like snapping bones and joints over stimulate nerves and provide short term pain relief.

I have found actively release massage and exercise to be very helpful and actually fix back and neck pain.

Chiropractors...I just can’t buy what they are selling.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/did...ill-katie-may/
Many chiros practice ART (active release therapy).
Old 10-16-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Many chiros practice ART (active release therapy).
Muscle massage no different than massage therapists? Which one charges more would be my next thought.

Bone manipulation...don’t trust the effectiveness of that.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Muscle massage no different than massage therapists? Which one charges more would be my next thought.

Are the massage therapists actually doing ART though? I'm under the impression that active release is much deeper and targeted than massage, and I've never heard of a massage therapist having the certification to do it.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Don't knock it till you try it
Old 10-16-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I hate being technical but I think it's more joint manipulation.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 PM

The key here is "it depends who you go to and what techniques and results they can achieve for you" which seems to be a wide range of everything from miracle workers to crooks.

A friend from work, about 8-10 years ago recommended Healthstar Chiropractic. They took exrays firsts to see if there was any calcification/fusing/etc.., measured nerve resistance (kinda like doing electrical) in my back, then did a thorough consulatation and showed me my spine and explained what was going on. Then we did a treatment plan and they went to work with active release over a few weeks (every second day) for a few weeks. They also use a "mini jack hammer" thing which vibrates certain vertabrae to get them to move back in, as well as the normal traditional"cracking" and joint manipulation.

I do hate the drop table though, that sucks, but it's half a second of black out pain to instant relief when my lower back won't budge.

I went from an old man, to a new man within that period, and, now years later, every time (which is once a year or so) when I get those pinch or kinks that don't go away, I go in for a session or two and they fix me up.

I thought they were all "voodoo" but when I'm suffering for weeks on end and one (or two) visits cure me within days ........ the results are real.

Pick the right office and you should get some results.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Are the massage therapists actually doing ART though? I'm under the impression that active release is much deeper and targeted than massage, and I've never heard of a massage therapist having the certification to do it.
All I know is my massage therapist advertises it. Goes deep into the muscle and it helped fix the problem. Painful pushing on the knots. Must be the same thing. It is just deep tissue muscle massage. Done right..it is awesome. Never needed more than two visits to totally fix the problem.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
I hate being technical but I think it's more joint manipulation.
Don’t think so?

http://m.ccstcalgary.com/services/ac...technique-art/

No mention of joints.

I can positively attest to active release massage by a registered massage therapist working wonders to fix a problem.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 PM

I go to Tyler Fix at Redefined Health. He is good, spends more time stretching and loosening up muscles then he does cracking(at least in my case).

Creates a plan and each treatment is often slightly different as he works to get things moving better a bit at a time.

Any chiropractor that just cracks you the same way each time either has figured out you have a chronic issue that needs to be treated the same each time or they aren’t doing a good job.

Edit: Tyler Fix does active release technique. Hence the stretching etc mentioned.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM

We had a horse that would show immediate, drastic improvements after a trip to the chiropractor; I don’t think there was any placebo effect with him.

Gerry Burnie